3b oil not circulating. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you so much for the detailed checklist I'm actually relieved that it likely multiple wear and tear issues than 1 break the wallet problem. I will let ya know how I go.

The EDIC has nothing to do with maintaining prime in your fuel system. It is only for starting and stopping the engine. It is an electric/mechanical part that does not touch the fuel in any way. (Yes, the EDIC could have been damaged due to an electrical failure.)

The EDIC receives an electric voltage input from an oil pressure switch. It is not involved in regulating oil pressure in any way. If you have less than 10psi of oil pressure at idle the EDIC will shut off your engine by moving the fuel rack in the injection pump to the "off" position.

If you indeed have oil pressure problems they are not related to your fuel system not maintaining prime. The fuel system should maintain prime even if the engine is not started for years. You potentially have multiple, unrelated issues that need to be diagnosed individually.

There are lots of reasons your fuel system won't maintain prime. The most likely culprits: 1) the o-ring on the primer pump is bad 2) their is a bad connection or a rusted fuel line between the fuel tank and the lift pump 3) sometimes the return/overflow line coming from the injectors will leak air but usually not enough to completely lose prime.
Morning,
I'm just about to start checking the fuel system , the O ring on the primer pump that would be where I manually pump fuel with my hand not the O ring on the outlet line at the filter? And the overflow line I did remove and when I refitted because it seemed fragile I didn't lean on it when tightening so maybe just not quite tight enough?

there's an o-ring on the stock primer pump that goes bad. there are lots of threads here in the forum describing the symptoms and solutions. the search feature is an amazing, almost magical thing. almost anything related to diagnosing and fixing Toyota diesels can be found in this forum with the search function.

Did you fix the lack of oil flowing through the engine yet? There's really no point in fixing the fuel system issues if the oil is not getting pumped through the engine.

Last edited:
The EDIC has nothing to do with maintaining prime in your fuel system. It is only for starting and stopping the engine. It is an electric/mechanical part that does not touch the fuel in any way. (Yes, the EDIC could have been damaged due to an electrical failure.)

The EDIC receives an electric voltage input from an oil pressure switch. It is not involved in regulating oil pressure in any way. If you have less than 10psi of oil pressure at idle the EDIC will shut off your engine by moving the fuel rack in the injection pump to the "off" position.

If you indeed have oil pressure problems they are not related to your fuel system not maintaining prime. The fuel system should maintain prime even if the engine is not started for years. You potentially have multiple, unrelated issues that need to be diagnosed individually.

There are lots of reasons your fuel system won't maintain prime. The most likely culprits: 1) the o-ring on the primer pump is bad 2) their is a bad connection or a rusted fuel line between the fuel tank and the lift pump 3) sometimes the return/overflow line coming from the injectors will leak air but usually not enough to completely lose prime.
This is what I wanted to say too. Thank you for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom