3b oil not circulating. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there.
Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated,
3b recond 9mnths ago slowly got sicker now no oil pressure clicking that runs in time with engine rotation and won't prime past injector pump to injectors??

So you get fuel coming out of your injector lines when cracked open when you crank?
Hi Thanks for taking the time ,,

No . I use manual prime pump all the way to the bleed valve on the square block just below the 4 injector lines coming from out of injector pump. To get it running in mornings IV been pull starting it. Key starts after that but won't turn off.

Sorry no after man prime it still won't when crank.
sounds like fuel blockage somewhere, hope it is not your pump. Was the pump rebuilt when the engine was rebuilt?
check fuel lines starting with sedimentor. can you bleed your lines with the hand pump?

you shall need a good battery and lots of trial and fuel bleeding to get fuel coming out your fuel injector lines. you shall get there.

Could have got dirty fuel at some stage, in oz i try to get bp they had to clean up their act after the gulf of mexico oil spill i think it was, never go to united or pie face..

I have met a few diesel car folks fuel issues playing up, with all the wet weather we have had of late.

I have to go remote now, someone else shall guide you through.

Hi there.
Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated,
3b recond 9mnths ago slowly got sicker now no oil pressure clicking that runs in time with engine rotation and won't prime past injector pump to injectors??

I'm sorry it sounds dead to me, its going to be coming back apart to find out what went wrong.

Thanks for your input blokes, firstly yes I can use the hand pump with my pinky finger and there is no issue with flow from the tank all way to start of injector line first start of the day ,after that no issues with diesel. Still no oil circ.however correct me if I'm wrong but is it also that the injector pump and oil pump in the 3b need the eachother to function simultaneously due to the 3b has nozzles that spray oil to the undersides of the pistons to keep eng temp down, hence why bolt on turbo kits are popular on the 3b?.

Disconnect the EDIC arm, this will set your IP to run, you can shut the engine off by hand or stall in gear.
Guessing that the clicking is the EDIC.
If the EDIC is pooched you can always find Cables at a Farm Tractor Shop to give you full manual control of the start /stop system

Disconnect the EDIC arm, this will set your IP to run, you can shut the engine off by hand or stall in gear.
Guessing that the clicking is the EDIC.
If the EDIC is pooched you can always find Cables at a Farm Tractor Shop to give you full manual control of the start /stop system
Ok I had the edic arm disconnected already B4 the clicking that started bout 30 seconds after starting engine n driving and it's a sharp click sound like hitting 2 estwing hammer heads together . Could that be the edic? One side is jammed ??

You can unplug the Edic, green plug...then you eliminate one part of the problem

The EDIC has safety features that will prevent your engine from running with low/no oil pressure. It also shuts off the engine when you turn off the key. It moves the injection pump into the over-inject position to aid with starting. With the EDIC disabled it is possible to run the engine in reverse direction. (Stall on a hill and roll backwards in gear and oops.) There is an oil pressure switch on the side of the engine that feeds to the EDIC. If that switch doesn't see pressure within 5 or maybe 10 seconds max the EDIC will shut down the engine.

How are you determining that engine is not developing oil pressure? That's a far bigger issue than losing prime on the injection pump.

The EDIC has safety features that will prevent your engine from running with low/no oil pressure. It also shuts off the engine when you turn off the key. It moves the injection pump into the over-inject position to aid with starting. With the EDIC disabled it is possible to run the engine in reverse direction. (Stall on a hill and roll backwards in gear and oops.) There is an oil pressure switch on the side of the engine that feeds to the EDIC. If that switch doesn't see pressure within 5 or maybe 10 seconds max the EDIC will shut down the engine.

How are you determining that engine is not developing oil pressure? That's a far bigger issue than losing prime on the injection pump.
Hi , the oil issue is what I'm trying to resolve I came to the conclusion it's not circulating because it's full of oil and within driving it for maybe 2 min the engine smells hot and there is smoke coming out of the rocker cover

You can pull off the oil line to alternator to check for oil, and/or tie a pressure gauge here.

there is smoke coming out of the rocker cover
You can run the engine with the rocker cover off as well to see if oil is being delivered to the rocker arm assembly. If you take the cover off and don't see any evidence of oil there you might be right that there's something wrong with the oil system.
I know there are a few different versions of head gaskets for the 3B. I wonder if you might have used the wrong one and the oil passage to the rocker arm assembly isn't getting full oil flow?

It was reconditioned B4 I bought it and ran fairly well this may be of relevance the priming issue is what alerted me to this now complex analysis.. I switched the engine off one night went to sleep and it didn't start next morning that started the fuel priming check etc but what maybe a clue is the positive terminal on the battery had melted a little and the square green plug in battery bay was melted a lil bit. All electrics worked after this fact and tow starting ran the engine in the morning and the key worked rest of the day so I dismissed the terminal because the glow plugs worked the starter motor worked and the battery charged and headlights never went dim. But could that electrical issue have busted the edic and or ??.?

The EDIC has nothing to do with maintaining prime in your fuel system. It is only for starting and stopping the engine. It is an electric/mechanical part that does not touch the fuel in any way. (Yes, the EDIC could have been damaged due to an electrical failure.)

The EDIC receives an electric voltage input from an oil pressure switch. It is not involved in regulating oil pressure in any way. If you have less than 10psi of oil pressure at idle the EDIC will shut off your engine by moving the fuel rack in the injection pump to the "off" position.

If you indeed have oil pressure problems they are not related to your fuel system not maintaining prime. The fuel system should maintain prime even if the engine is not started for years. You potentially have multiple, unrelated issues that need to be diagnosed individually.

There are lots of reasons your fuel system won't maintain prime. The most likely culprits: 1) the o-ring on the primer pump is bad 2) their is a bad connection or a rusted fuel line between the fuel tank and the lift pump 3) sometimes the return/overflow line coming from the injectors will leak air but usually not enough to completely lose prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom