3B help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello, in my local area a running 3b diesel truck has popped up for cheap, it’s a 1984 with a 5 speed and power steering with 300,000km on it. Is there any thing to look out when buying these? I’m looking to swap it into my FJ62. But I really don’t know much. Would a swap be a waste of time and money?

If you want a simple mechanical diesel engine and....don't need to drive it more than 65mph on flat land, don't need power to safely pass people on a 2 lane highway then it will work................You're not likely to get great fuel mileage that many people think they'll get with a diesel. Conservatively driving mine pre turbo I got 20-23MPG. After adding a turbo I get 16-20mpg but it's alot more driveable in traffic.

Lots of work for not much gain. Parts availability is an issue in time it is not already.

It seems that in Canada the 3B engine is more popular than in the States. Perhaps because it equipped several regularly imported trucks through the official Toyota network during the eighties (BJ42, BJ60, BJ70 etc)...

Lots of work for not much gain. Parts availability is an issue in time it is not already.
The gain is fuel milage and coolness😎 not like my imported 3FE gets good Milage, or parts availability. It’s already dead slow anyways. Besides diesels sell for more down here.

It seems that in Canada the 3B engine is more popular than in the States. Perhaps because it equipped several regularly imported trucks through the official Toyota network during the eighties (BJ42, BJ60, BJ70 etc)...

They are still super rare. Not many of them left from the cold Canadian winters.

Well parts availability isn’t going to be any better for my imported 3FE.

Maybe consider a 1HZ which is still produced so parts will be around for a long time. But they were never sold here so finding one might be harder.

The gain is fuel milage and coolness😎 not like my imported 3FE gets good Milage, or parts availability. It’s already dead slow anyways. Besides diesels sell for more down here.
You will be lucky to get over 20mpg unless you have small stock size street radials.....still better than the gasser. My fj40 with 2f was world's faster and better on the highway than my bj73.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom