3B engine swap to 15BFT. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am right now doing a engine swap from 3B to a 15BFT. Still working on the project but the engine is in my car now, only missing all the small things ( the hard bit ! )
Photos will come, ( when I know how to ) ask if you have any questions..... ;)
The car is a BJ75 Van - 1987

2014-08-16 11.39.41.jpg

down under you call it a troopie I think ..... we are not allowed to have the rear seats, so back in the 80´s they were sold as vans, without seats.
It came with the 3B engine and the h55f gearbox i belive its called. The 15bft engine came out of a 1996/97/99 kind of dyna truck, flywheel and clutch didnt fit the h55f housing, but I chose to go with a smaller clutch of just 275 mm, instead of 300mm..... using the smaller flywheel from the 3bII engine ..... it has 8 bolt flywheel, the older 3B has only 6 bolt flywheel, but I did use a extreme clutch to make it as good as i can. Maybe i will regret using only 275 mm clutch.....but i took the chance :-/. the extreme clutch is from bj74/71 landcruiser model. Took some time on the internet to link these parts togheter. Now i am finishing up.... slowly....... all the electrical, powersteering pump issues, intercooler, and so on..... time is free of charge luckly....parts are not.

Cool project!
Don't worry about the clutch. I ran a 1HDT with a H55f gearbox using the 275mm flywheel and extreme clutch. No problems at all.
When you turn up the pump and turbo pressure and go up to 450-500 nm the problems are starting.
A 1HDT and a 15BT have more or less the same amount of torc isn't it?

Good luck installing it!

Sound like a great build
I read somewhere you need 10 posts to add more photo's or buy the $20 dollar silver thingy to post as many photo's as you like.

down under you call it a troopie I think ..... we are not allowed to have the rear seats, so back in the 80´s they were sold as vans, without seats.
It came with the 3B engine and the h55f gearbox i belive its called. The 15bft engine came out of a 1996/97/99 kind of dyna truck, flywheel and clutch didnt fit the h55f housing, but I chose to go with a smaller clutch of just 275 mm, instead of 300mm..... using the smaller flywheel from the 3bII engine ..... it has 8 bolt flywheel, the older 3B has only 6 bolt flywheel, but I did use a extreme clutch to make it as good as i can. Maybe i will regret using only 275 mm clutch.....but i took the chance :-/. the extreme clutch is from bj74/71 landcruiser model. Took some time on the internet to link these parts togheter. Now i am finishing up.... slowly....... all the electrical, powersteering pump issues, intercooler, and so on..... time is free of charge luckly....parts are not.

I can't imagine you'll have a problem with the clutch, I have a BJ42 with a 14BT running the stock 275mm clutch and have never had a problem even with the boost cranked up to 25PSI. I used the larger flywheel that came with the engine but drilled and tapped holes to fit the smaller clutch.

Before you get to far you should check out the starter motor if you haven't already, I had to use the starter and backing plate from the original 3B.

Goodluck.

can't imagine you'll have a problem with the clutch, I have a BJ42 with a 14BT running the stock 275mm clutch and have never had a problem even with the boost cranked up to 25PSI. I used the larger flywheel that came with the engine but drilled and tapped holes to fit the smaller clutch.

Before you get to far you should check out the starter motor if you haven't already, I had to use the starter and backing plate from the original 3B.

Goodluck.
Hi.. i allready have changed the plate and starter. My brother have the 15b engine in his bj70 with a standard 275mm clutch, we use the bj70for challenge and offroad on 35" wheels and the clutch have never had problems ....

any of you guys know what the 2 vacuum discs are, on the rear end of my 15bft fuel pump. I guess one is for shutting off the fuel and one is for exhaust regulation.... ( no smoking ) ... but which is what?

any of you guys know what the 2 vacuum discs are, on the rear end of my 15bft fuel pump. I guess one is for shutting off the fuel and one is for exhaust regulation.... ( no smoking ) ... but which is what?

Does this look like what you've got there?

15BFTactuators.jpg

:beer:

yes...thanks... it wont start up.... maybe i have connected the vaccum hoses wrong.... and the one called idle up is for ??.... more idle when Cold or while using a pto ?? there is no magnetic shut off valve on this engine as far i can see.... right ?

I don't know anything about this engine...

My red labelling simply came from the Toyota parts descriptions for those items..

Sorry I can't be more help..

Idle up could be for when aircon is fitted and switched on.

hmm....dont think so..... but the idle up vaccum disc isnt the one causing it not to start up.... is it ??
i have fuel to the feed pump, i have fuel in the injection pump....but, it wont open up and send the fuel to the injection nozzles ..... i am going mad !! .....everyone says " locate the Electric solenoid/magnetic valve that opens the fuel line" ..... but i claim that this engine dosent have one, the 15b engine yes.... but this one, no.... please correct me if a am wrong ;) ..... HELP ...

OK then... Forget my last post..

I just looked at RM464E engine repair manual for you...

As for idle-up .........

It talks about it coming into effect both for when a 15BFT engine is fitted with "a power steering idle-up system" and for when it is fitted with "an A/C idle-up system".

So when the idle-up actuator has two operating diaphragms as shown here:
IdleUp15BFT.jpg

The inner one is the power steering idle-up and the outer is the AC idle-up..

Normal idle for the 15BFT is 700-750rpm and when steering is turned either full left or full right it appears that the idle idle-up simply gives it more juice to maintain those revvs but for the aircon test (with the blower switch on HI, air flow set on RECIRC etc and temp control on COOL) the revvs should increase to 900-1000rpm.

But anyway ... As you say, the idle-up won't be affecting your problem of "no fuel for starting".

This manual does talk of a "fuel cut solenoid" and doesn't appear to exclude the 15BFT engine from this...

Here's an image of where it should be located...

FuelCutSolenoid15BFT.jpg

If you don't have this, how about showing some pics of your IP?

we need a real toyota diesel inline fuel pump guru here...... now i am sure.... no Electric solenoid on this pump, .... question: What would cause the fuel pump not to Work on the inside?? ... the engine has not been startet for 5 years, is something stuck inside ?? ... a valve? ..... a broken spring ??

Please help me diesel Expert!! ...... ;) .. my Next step is to remove the fuel pump and open it !

I'm familiar with older inline pumps (such as used on my 1979 2977cc B-engine) but unfortunately yours is quite different.

To tell you the truth, it has thrown me to see any INLINE PUMP at all sitting on a 15BFT engine (and even more so because my May 1995 FSM (RM464E) shows only the rotary pump)!

So....Maybe you need to bleed air from this mysterious inline pump ..... because mine certainly won't deliver any fuel at all if it has air inside it. (Mine has a bleed nipple for this very purpose.)

Where is your "feed pump"? (Mine is "a plunger-type pump" working off a cam inside my injection pump.)

And do you have a fuel-return line running back to your fuel tank?

And do you have a primer pump, and if so where is that located?

Sorry for all the questions .... But I need to understand more about your fuel system (so I can take more "stabs in the dark" while we await the arrival our resident injection pump expert)..

PS. In case you're not already aware ....All the pics I've posted so far don't relate to your particular engine. To find yours I really need to know the model & year of the Toyota from which it was extracted..

I'm familiar with older inline pumps (such as used on my 1979 2977cc B-engine) but unfortunately yours is quite different.

To tell you the truth, it has thrown me to see any INLINE PUMP at all sitting on a 15BFT engine (and even more so because my May 1995 FSM (RM464E) shows only the rotary pump)!

So....Maybe you need to bleed air from this mysterious inline pump ..... because mine certainly won't deliver any fuel at all if it has air inside it. (Mine has a bleed nipple for this very purpose.)

Where is your "feed pump"? (Mine is "a plunger-type pump" working off a cam inside my injection pump.)

And do you have a fuel-return line running back to your fuel tank?

And do you have a primer pump, and if so where is that located?

Sorry for all the questions .... But I need to understand more about your fuel system (so I can take more "stabs in the dark" while we await the arrival our resident injection pump expert)..

PS. In case you're not already aware ....All the pics I've posted so far don't relate to your particular engine. To find yours I really need to know the model & year of the Toyota from which it was extracted..

thanks lostmarbles
I did see that our pumps were not the same, my engine comes from a dyna 200 - 1998 - BU142 model, sold in the EU, perhaps the inline pump is a EU mod.
i do have a return hose going to the fuel tank, i do have a feed pump located on the side of my inline pump, but no electric control of my pump , apart from the vaccum system, and i dont think the 3 vaccum functions should denie me to start the engine.... hmmm......
20141025_144451.jpg

the little top cover seen here ... with the 2 bolts ... should there be fuel behind it ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom