3b diesel cylinder bore cross hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently took of the head on my 3b to put a toyota mls headgasket on and i was having a look at the bored and there is no cross hatch left.

Engine has bit over 500.000km on it and has had a turbo running 20psi for the last 40.000km with no issues what so ever.

Has a little blow by from the tube but nothing bad for that high kms

It also dosnt use much oil between services.

I also cheaked and there is no ridge on the top of the sleeve only abit of carbon build up.

Should i just leave it alone and keep running it? Out would it be wise to rehone and rering it?

I honestly dont see the point as it runs fine and will be rebuilt sooner than later as it has 500000km on it anyway.

Anyone else notice this on thier 3b?

If you have access to a dial bore gauge it would be a good idea to check the bore diameter. The B-Series FSM that I have shows how to do it on page 3-39. The measurements are different depending on if your block is marked 1, 2, or 3. You measure near the top, middle and bottom to check if the bore has become barrel-shaped. (wider in the middle due to piston rocking over time)

I can snap a photo of the manual page it if would help.

It's hard to check the bottom measurement with the piston still in it but you can check the top and the middle to get an idea of how close yours are to new. The FSM says the wear limit is .3mm (.012")

I'd drop the oil pan and pull the pistons out and inspect the rings. The ring lands can open up a lot over time.

If you think you'll be rebuilding it anyway eventually then don't waste the time or money now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom