33s for packed snow and ice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all-

I have used the "search" function thoroughly and found little information on the BFG AT KOs versus the Wrangler Duratracs. I'm putting 15x8 alloys on my OME-lifted FJ62 and was looking at the narrower BFG KOs 33x10.5s but read scathing reviews for KOs in winter weather. The Duratracs only come in the wider 33x12.5. Does anyone here have any experience with both?

This is not my daily driver so I'm not worried about the tread wear as much as performance in our Pacific NW weather. Lots of rain, mud, some snow and ice.

Thanks

I have ran both tires.
My truck (1st gen 4runner) originally came with a set of 31x10.5 Duratracs.
After re-gearing I traded that set straight across for BF AT KO 33x12.5. I made no other mods, other then gears, and both tires were about 50% wear.
I would say on hard packed snow and ice (a great example being a city street that hasn't seen a plow in a while) the Duratracs were noticeably better. I think it comes down to the siping in the tires, and perhaps a little softer rubber.
People can argue all day about which tire is better in general offroad conditions, and I really don't feel I can comment on that. But since I did the swap in an afternoon in December, and I live on a street that almost never see's a plow, I can make an educated opion on how they handle ice. The Duratracs are better.

Now I'm going to throw a wrench into all this and offer a 3rd suggestion that you have not considered but probably should. Get a set of mud terrians, and have them siped. And yes I know how horrible MT's are normally on icy roads but here me out.
I bought a set of BF mud terrians, which are available in 33x10.5, and had a local guy run them through a tire siping machine. Night and day difference, they are almost like having a winter tire. Think about it, a winter tire is basically really soft rubber, with a lot of siping in the thread. MT's are made from really soft rubber, add your own siping and voila.
I say this without exaggeration. On an icy road, my 4WD truck wearing either BF AT's or Duratracs would have lost a drag race to my little FWD Nissan with good winter rubbers, the grip just wasn't there. Use the siped MT's and I can win that race, and stop better, and turn better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom