3" Dobinsons IMS lift and the ride is way too stiff (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a set of 255/80/17 (33x10) Falken Wildpeaks a few months back, which is a E load rated tire. I drove on them with the stock suspension for about a month and thought it rode just fine.

After adding a 3" Dobinsons IMS lift with stock weight springs, I'm really disappointed in the ride quality. It is extremely harsh. Lowering tire pressure to 32 PSI helped a bit, but I can feel every bump in the road and rocky trails are back breaking. I've never avoided man hole covers in any vehicle I've ever driven, included lifted trucks and 4 Runners, but I do it in the GX now out of habit.

I confirmed with my vendor that I received stock weight springs, but I almost think there had to be a mistake and I have +500lb springs or something. Will extra weight help?

TBH I wish I didnt throw the stock stuff away.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. I'm pretty bummed to have spent $2500 (including UCAs) and not be happy with the ride quality.

Will extra weight help?
You can always go on down to your local box hardware store and load up your rig with a pallet cement bags and return them the next day! 😁

Tire is Integral part of suspension. This is one of the reason I like adjustable shocks. Adjustable got its own problem too. Set wrong and it would handle worse than the fixed shocks.

The MRR Adjustable got 3 way adjustment and I seen a lot of post about it handled poorly due to wrong settings. You are the first complaint I heard about IMS.

Extra weight would definitely help if it feels oversprung. I would find something cleaner than Cement bag to try as dead weight.

Sometimes the seal drag cause the shock to behave differently during beak in period. How many miles you drive it so far?

Last edited:
Do a chalk test on the tire. However, E-loads are too much for these trucks. Discount accidently installed E load K02s instead of the C loads I requested. I made it to my house and the ride/power was bad enough that I double checked the tires and noticed the error. Unfortunately I had a trip in the morning so I ended up putting 500+ miles on the tires before I could get them swapped to C loads. Much better ride/take off power.

I haven't heard complaints about the IMS but saw enough general issues with Dobinson overall quality coupled with shortages that I went Ironman FCP and I'm quite happy with the ride. Crappy situation; good luck with a resolution.

Tire is Integral part of suspension. This is one of the reason I like adjustable shocks. Adjustable got its own problem too. Set wrong and it would handle worse than the fixed shocks.

The MRR Adjustable got 3 way adjustment and I seen a lot of post about it handled poorly due to wrong settings. You are the first complaint I heard about IMS.

Extra weight would definitely help if it feels oversprung. I would find something cleaner than Cement bag to try as dead weight.

Sometimes the seal drag cause the shock to behave differently during beak in period. How many miles you drive it so far?

500-1000 miles or so. Its my understanding that the IMS shock body is the same as the MRR. They just come without the resivour. Is it possible that mine are adjustable? I'm not sure if it is oversprung or if the shocks are just too stiff.

test on the tire. However, E-loads are too much for these trucks. Discount accidently installed E load K02s instead of the C loads I requested. I made it to my house and the ride/power was bad enough that I double checked the tires and noticed the error. Unfortunately I had a trip in the morning so I ended up putting 500+ miles on the tires before I could get them swapped to C loads. Much better ride/take off power.
I drove on these same tires for probably 250 miles before the lift. It was fine.

500-1000 miles or so. Its my understanding that the IMS shock body is the same as the MRR. They just come without the resivour. Is it possible that mine are adjustable?

The IMS are supposed to be tunable (opening up the shock and changing the valving via shim stacks), The old MRR, I understand to be the same, but with external reservoirs. The MRA (or MRR adjustable) shocks are externally adjustable.

I drove on these same tires for probably 250 miles before the lift. It was fine.
I read that in your original post.

Tires are part of your suspension. What worked (or was just less noticeable) with your stock suspension might not be compatible with your new setup. I don't know what wheels you are running to know how much total weight has changed but you've added 15lbs more tire and increased tire height significantly which might be causing some issues with your suspension bottoming out more quickly.

If you're looking for solutions you should try lighter/less stiff tires and/or progressive bumps unless there's a problem with the install. If the coil over is adjustable you should also try going for less height.

I have c59-350 (2”)front springs, and c59-325 (1.75”) rears. Ims shocks non-comfort valved, c-rated Toyo at3 tires. I’m loving it. Think it rides great if anything I’d take a little more high speed rebound damping to soak up the big hits but the small stuff feels buttery smooth to me. I would even be ok with a little stiffer spring rate. I have the front coil seat set to the height indicated in the instructions. Which coils do you have, are you setup at the recommended seat height?

Hope you get it sorted out. I have Dobinsons IMS 1.5 front, 1.75 rear, Ironman Pro-forge UCA, on Wildpeak 265/65r18 and I love the ride. It's not as tight as my LC200 with RadFlo IFP was, but much more compliant. 100x better than stock. I did have to add about 3/8" of pre-load on the passenger side front coil to get the front level, but now that it's done, it's perfect. Roof rack coming up, and I should be about done with the truck for my desired uses.

I have a 2” Dobinsons lift (regular weight) on my GX and it rides like a dream. On the road it feels every bit as nice as the stock airbag suspension, and off road it’s way better. I’m on C rated K02s

I have the standard Dobinsons 2-3" lift, with heavier weight springs in the front (recommended from supplier due to "stock weight" being rated for the Prado, not the V8 GX) and heavier springs our back that aren't yet utilized (added some weight, cancelled that with 3rd row removal, haven't added drawers yet). I'm also on C load range tires Wildpeaks. I ran E load on a few similar-enough weight and duty vehicles and hated them for their stiffness.

When I first did the lift last year, I really enjoyed the slightly stiffer than stock ride qualities. I hated the stock nosedive the GX had under even light braking. That said, I'm starting to really dislike the rear ride harshness over potholes and even expansion joints (I'm getting older and my back is 20 years older than me) and might want to change directions and go back to compromising the handling characteristics for a more plush ride as a priority.

I once put 600 lbs of wood on the roof rack and man did this thing ride like a dream, even on the rough roads on the way home from Lowe's. Now I'm seriously debating going softer coils on the rear, getting some helper air bags for when I tow and just really focus on dialing it all in a bit more than I initially did.

Obviously, ride harshness is very subjective, so any of us telling you the Dobinsons is nice and smooth likely just have a different measuring point than you. Weight can potentially help you, either break your suspension in some or calm it down long term if you add permanent weight. For the cost of unplanned permanent weight (bumpers, winches, sliders, tire carriers, roof racks, etc) it probably makes more sense to find a better setup suspension for your desires.

Last edited:
FWIW I run 265/70r17 Falken Wildpeak E rated and its fine. Feels only slightly stiffer than stock... Going from 18" to 17" helps.

Yes, and I have to say coming from the tundra side of Dobinsons I think their springs are already a little on the stiffer side with more lift if you’re light. If you don’t have the right springs for your weight it’s gonna be rough. I would say from my experience with both platforms Dobinsons makes it so you can load it down and still retain ride quality and rake even with their “lighter” spring setups. The heavy loads require you to load at or beyond GVWR to really ride correctly. Glad I had that experience before ordering springs the second time and ordered the “stock”
Weight springs. A full 10’days solo load with bike and bike rack didn’t squat the suspension at all. The medium and heavy loads ime are only if you’re going all the way heavy into your build.

Are the GX and LX springs the same diameter and interchangeable?
I would imagine the LX/LC springs to not only have a larger diameter filar (the "wire" diameter of the coil) but also a larger O.D. too.
But note this is just speculation.

Are the GX and LX springs the same diameter and interchangeable?
I would imagine the LX/LC springs to not only have a larger diameter filar (the "wire" diameter of the coil) but also a larger O.D. too.
But note this is just speculation.
I am also just speculating as to why the ride could be so harsh but the vendor confirmed it's "stock weight" springs. Maybe trucks are different, but a lot of coilover/suspension kits use standard sized springs with varying weight. I would assume the OEM suspension for the GX vs LX/LC has different diameter springs but if you switch to an aftermarket kit they may both use the same hypothetical 2.5 id x 8 inch spring size, but the GX needs 300lbs/inch and the LX/LC need 400lbs/inch?

Is it possible the 3 inch lift is high enough that is effectively turns KDSS off, so the big sway bars we have are always under load?

Or maybe they are just that stiff?

There's parts of the country that people would consider a simple fix of just heating the springs with a blow torch until they were cherry red, then cool, to soften them up!
But then again, people who do that usually aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Especially when they're heating the springs while they're still mounted on the vehicle!

I have a 2” Dobinsons lift (regular weight) on my GX and it rides like a dream. On the road it feels every bit as nice as the stock airbag suspension, and off road it’s way better. I’m on C rated K02s
Dobinson IMS or the basic lift kit? (yellow shocks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom