3.88 -> 4.10 or lower in my 2nd Gen Taco? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I went to 32'' ATs, it highlighted the 'lack' of power compared to my girl's 2003 V6 Taco. I always thought our transmissions were different, but I realized today that she probably has 4.10s and I know I have 3.88s.

For what I do, lower gears are better.

So my questions are:

Do I go for 4.10s?
Will 4.10s from a V6 2nd Gen drop into my Taco?
Should I go even lower?
Where should I get them? Toyota says $1350 for new 4.10s (OUCH).

I may also be trading my father for his 2000 Tundra... I think it might fit my needs better.

My 05 4 cylinder 4x4 had 4.10's stock. Your's probably does too. Going to a 4.56would be just about perfect. I ran 4.88's in an older truck (that originally had 4.10's) with 33's and it was perfect. Forget about the dealer on this. They usually don't even do ring and pinion swaps. You need to find someone that does ring and pinion work that knows what they are doing if you want it to last. That said you should have bought a V6 if you intended to modify your truck. The 4 cylinder is adequate for a stock truck but saddled with weight and larger diameter tires you either need gears or more motor. I've owned many 22r/re powered trucks and gone the route with gears in the past. But my FJ40 and the few lifted V6 tacomas I have had tolerated 33's with no problem.

I'll find out exactly what I have. Can you recommend any specific brand to look at for the regear? From what I understand it should be a relatively easy job to change the gearing.

Personally I'll take the drawbacks of a regear to get the benefits of a smaller, simpler inline engine. It really does have plenty of power, especially in 4-Lo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom