3"-4"x30 -50--where to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been looking for a snatch strap that can pull out a heavy 80. We live in Mexico and go on many adventures with river crossings and such in very remote territory. In addition to stock I have a york compressor, arb bumper, dual batteries, big tool boxes, 35's, spare parts, and other junk. At times I get stuck up to the axles in mud, or sand in the river, etc. I figure I need something in the 3" range. I figure two straps of 30' would be the best. I want to purchase a quality strap. I don't believe the arb's go up past 25,000 pounds breaking.

:cheers:

4WP are inexpensive. they have some 30K.
Buy 2, use them together in parallel.

(there is a big aussie review of straps on the web)

There are tons of places on the web to get recovery stuff, last set of straps I bought came from http://www.recoverygear.com. I have a 3"x10' tree saver and a 3"x30' strap, really good stuff.

If you need to go longer than 30', you might want to consider a length of winch rope that has been prepped with thimbles at both ends. You can get these from http://www.rockstomper.com

Are you looking for a "snatch strap" or just a recovery strap? If you are indeed looking for a snatch (or kenetic type) strap, I'll recommend the Master Pull Super Yanker. I've used mine more times than I can count and it's worked every time -- often after normal tow straps came up short .
:beer:

4WP are inexpensive. they have some 30K.
Buy 2, use them together in parallel.

Eric, why in the world would you need to use both of them in parallel? These rigs weight 6k lbs, not 60. I have pulled out a lot of heavy rigs including quite a few built fullsizes(D60's, 38's, etc) using only a mere 20k lbs strap and have had no problems. I did purchase two 30klbs straps from 4wp when they had them on sale a few years ago for $20 each, but I still don't see the need to double them up.

If you're worried about the strength of the ARB's attachment points you can fold one in half so that the other vehicle connects to the middle of the strap and both ends go to the ARB. Other than that I think you are being unnecessarily overly extra cautious as usual ;p

Ary

Eric, why in the world would you need to use both of them in parallel? These rigs weight 6k lbs, not 60. I have pulled out a lot of heavy rigs including quite a few built fullsizes(D60's, 38's, etc) using only a mere 20k lbs strap and have had no problems. I did purchase two 30klbs straps from 4wp when they had them on sale a few years ago for $20 each, but I still don't see the need to double them up.

If you're worried about the strength of the ARB's attachment points you can fold one in half so that the other vehicle connects to the middle of the strap and both ends go to the ARB. Other than that I think you are being unnecessarily overly extra cautious as usual ;p

Ary

reading the original post, seems like he's very concerned about weight and strength.
The 4WP straps are inexpensive. If you get 2 that are 30K, you can use them lengthwise if you need the reach (don't use a shackle) but it's a light pull or if you are concerned about strength and buried in mud, you put the 2 in parallel, should be plenty safe... More versatile than one bigger strap IMHO.

As to whether your typical attachment point is correspondingly strong, I'm not going there... :)

The stretch factor of a snatch strap is important. Double them up and you'll be cutting that "cushion" in half. I tore a frame mounted tow bar off the back of one of my trucks when I tripled a snatch strap to shorten it up. I needed to be on the one patch of bare ground in all the ice. I was tryng to get my Loadstar out of the depressions the tires had created as the ground froze and thawed over the winter. I didn't even hit it all that hard compared to most off road recoveries. But with the strap tripled up that way, I got virtually no "cushion" at all. Sheared a weld at one end and bent the other side as the bar was pulled out from under the rig.

I should have known better. :(

Mark...

The stretch factor of a snatch strap is important. Double them up and you'll be cutting that "cushion" in half. I tore a frame mounted tow bar off the back of one of my trucks when I tripled a snatch strap to shorten it up. I needed to be on the one patch of bare ground in all the ice. I was tryng to get my Loadstar out of the depressions the tires had created as the ground froze and thawed over the winter. I didn't even hit it all that hard compared to most off road recoveries. But with the strap tripled up that way, I got virtually no "cushion" at all. Sheared a weld at one end and bent the other side as the bar was pulled out from under the rig.

I should have known better. :(

Mark...

good point!

Remember that ARB straps are rated in kilograms, so that means that the smallest strap is rated at 17,500 pounds, the medium is 24,000 pounds, and the large is rated at 33,000 pounds! Also, Mark is correct about the stretch factor of the strap. Bigger is not always better! I personally have the small strap for the troopy.

Hey,

Thanks for all of the replies. Ended up going with two 3"X30´ from www.wheelersoffroad.com this is where I got the last one. They are about 50% of the price of the arb. Now I have 90´........ Thanks for all of the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom