2UZ-FE Cleaning top of intake/exhaust valves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud,

I'm halfway through the process of replacing my starter. When I removed the intake manifold there was a good bit of dirt and sand that fell down on top of the valves. Enough to make my heart skip a beat.

Anyone have a good method to get down on top of the valves and get all that dirt out before it gets into the cylinder?

Vacuum

I tried the shop vac and that got most of the dirt. Problem is with the carbon build up, the dirt is stuck to the valve and the vacuum doesn't have enough suction to pull it out. I either need a way to wipe it or maybe spray it with something to loosen the dirt and then vac it up. I'm thinking i'll use carb cleaner to loosen the dirt, was just wondering if anyone had a clever way to get a rag down there and wipe the valve...

I'm sort of thinking that a very tiny amount of thin dirt/sand won't do anything bad. It'll just get blown out. The ring/piston clearance is very, very tight, so I don't think that something like thin beach sand or dust will get caught in the gap and grind the cylinder bores or rings.. I don't think it's going to act like sandblasting or anything. As long as it isn't rocks or pebbles, it's probably OK
BUT .... this is just my opinion from the years I have worked on my own vehicles, I will absolutely defer to anyone with real knowledge on the subject.

runs poor for like 2 minutes then cleans itself out , vacuum , is the best

if you have carbon deposit concerns , try a seafoam top eng treatment . many threads on how . it does the job well.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up stepping down from my vacuum hose to 0.5” PVC pipe and then a straw. Just taped it with masking tape. Sprayed some carb cleaner down there to loosen the dirt while sucking with the vacuum and got most of what I could see out of there. Truck fired right up and idled with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom