2nd Gen Tacoma Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We recently purchased a 2012 Tacoma DoubleCab TRD for Nicole that will also be used for mild wheeling and family adventures. In fact, we just came back from a 4 day camping trip in our new to us Tacoma which was pulling an Aliner Scout camper which we rented. I'm pretty impressed with the comfort and mileage it gave us over the 1200 miles. The 2nd Gens are now a decade old and with a new body style rolling out, they are going to be a little easier to pick up. So, let's start a tech thread for those buying, or considering buying, one of these awesome machines.

Since this will be a mild build, I'm not looking at doing a whole lot right away. Obviously, we're going to want some larger tires and some armor.

The package that we have includes 4.56 gears, 265/70/16 (30.6"), rear locker, A-track, Downhill assist, 400w inverter, etc. Overall, it is pretty capable for a stock vehicle. It feels like a big truck but doesn't drive like one. A TRD supercharger, though discontinued, is still available.

Post your tech info, questions, or projects here.

This is the Aliner we pulled on the trip. Aliners are small A-frame popups that are very light. Aliner also sells off-road versions of their campers, which may be worth looking into if you want a light camper that can be set up along the trail instead of in the parking lot. This one was 1100 lbs not including the 400-500 lbs of our junk in it. The Tacoma pulled it with ease. We can go up to 6500lbs with the factory tow package.

If you have one of these with the tow package, they come with the 7 blade trailer connector and are wired for a trailer brake controller. The glove box should have a pigtail that you can wire to a controller of your choice and plug into the open connector over the driver's side kick panel.

We are going to search for a camper that is closer to the trucks max capacity (probably 5500ish lbs) and use a brake controller and load leveling hitch.

IMG_20150923_102958_zpskkmvunwb.jpg

IMG_20150917_193355_zps43gupbwz.jpg

...and our MPG reset on the last fill up on the way home with the camper in tow. I hand calculated 19.6 on the previous tank and the speedometer is dead on. Color me impressed!

Screenshot_2015-09-22-18-10-36_zpsaldmzy06.png

Last edited:
There are quite a few options for a lift on these trucks. The IFS is a big issue when wanting to go extreme, but if you want something moderate that will still get you to 90% of the places you ever want to go, it will get you by. Know your limits and enjoy the comfort and control of IFS.

The front suspension is a strut configuration. A coil spring sits between a frame mount and the lower control arm. A shock is centered inside of the coil. OME, Bilstein, Procomp, and a few others make full lift kits for these trucks. I have been having a hard time deciding exactly what I want to do with our truck. 2.5-3" of lift seems to be pretty standard and I think would be plenty for my tire goal of 33". If you want to go above 3" of lift you start to get into drop bracket territory. A drop bracket is an extension off of the bottom of your frame that allows you to lower your upper and lower control arms. However, the drop bracket creates a very low front cross-member that actually lowers clearance.

Spacers are a common lift type, but my research suggest that they can cause issues in the long run because they add space above the coil spring effectively making it longer. This maintains factory ride, but since the shock mounts remain unchanged, the shock can now bottom out before the spring reaches full compression. I think this could be remedied by adding a longer bump stop, but don't know if anyone has tried.

There are a number of lift struts available. The Bilstein 5100 is a popular choice. Old Man Emu (OME) makes some struts that offer different load levels for those that want to add lots of armor or overland equipment. I have decided to purchase some Rancho Quick Lift struts (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YJTMDE...colid=HP1JJCV2WJUU&coliid=IQ5XA15PKQ7WH)until I decide what armor will be on this truck and how much. This is a less expensive option that won't hurt so much when I decide to upgrade again later. I will likely get matching rear shocks. The Ranchos have adjustable dampening, which I think will be nice to have as the stock rear shocks are a little stiff with no weight in the bed.

The rear suspension is a leaf spring setup. Blocks, add a leaf, or complete packs can be used for lift. I will likely use an add a leaf initially, then try to determine if an F-150 spring can fit or build a custom pack. One downfall of the 2009+ Tacomas is that they have inverted shackles. No lift can be gained by using an extended shackle. 2005-2008 Tacomas should have a normal shackle configuration.

Another reason why 33" is my current goal is because the fenders on this truck are not really accommodating to larger tire sizes. Even a 33" tire wider than about 11" will rub the inner fender requiring removal of mud flaps and trimming of the plastic inner fender. Also, there is a body mount right against the back side of the front fenders. This will have to be trimmed if you want to have larger than a 33 and want wheel travel. This might not be an issue if you are just going for looks.

Narrow tire sizes that I have considered are 235/85/16 (31.7x9.25) and 255/85/16 (33.1x10). These tires are tall and skinny. They may get you into trouble in really deep mud, snow, or loose sand. However, they will likely net better mileage and perform very well in all other scenarios. I am leaning towards the 255/85/16s. Choices are limited at this size but Nicole likes the look of the Maxxis BigHorns (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RULM1C...=UTF8&colid=HP1JJCV2WJUU&coliid=IZEXVJL55DOR3). I have some 235/85/16's on my tow rig and have rolled up next to the Taco, they look pretty good. That size may be something just a bit above stock if you aren't looking to do much. I may end up with the 235's when I really consider what kind of camper I want to eventually pull with the Tacoma. I plan to try to simulate the weight of any camper I want to buy by loading my car trailer with a similar weight and seeing how it does.

Other things to consider: 1.) You may be able to get away with other sizes with the right spacers or rim backspacing 2.) You should consider the usage of the truck and the gearing 3.) I have notice that the spindle has a bump on the top of it that is very close to the inner sidewall on the stock wheels. The bump is about 1/2" from contacting the sidewall. Any tire 1" wider than stock with stock backspacing may contact the spindle and be damaged.

Nicole liked the black grills on the lesser models better. About 30 minutes with some black Plasti-dip remedied the situation. Yes, we played with it on the hood first. It didn't turn out well so we peeled it off. Plasti-dip is pretty cool stuff if you haven't tried it!

IMG_20150902_072556_zpscepckmgj.jpg

IMG_20150902_202834_zpscr9gbzlj.jpg

Awesome information Ryan thanks for taking the time to start the thread bud and add all the details. I see this thread growing real soon. Definitely something I'm interested in I'm planning to transition into more overlanding trips next year our Colorado trip will be a great one and others have mentioned Arkansas as another trip. I really dig what Expedition Overland is doing and think putting together a team with equally equipped rigs, mindsets and talents would make a good start to planning a few trips and changing things up. Obviously they're on another level but everyone starts out somewhere :) with members looking to the use the newer platforms 4-Runner, Taco and FJC its not as abusive as the typical trail wheeling we've been doing and might expand our membership and meeting new enthusiasts.

Nicole liked the black grills on the lesser models better. About 30 minutes with some black Plasti-dip remedied the situation. Yes, we played with it on the hood first. It didn't turn out well so we peeled it off. Plasti-dip is pretty cool stuff if you haven't tried it!

IMG_20150902_072556_zpscepckmgj.jpg

IMG_20150902_202834_zpscr9gbzlj.jpg

I like the black look too not a chrome fan very nice rig :)

I've been out of the IFS game for a while and there is so much out there now it makes my head spin? ICON, Toytec, OME, Bilstein, King and Fox combinations. I saw this thread discussing the OME lifts. I've had OME on my 40 and 80 with great success and reliability holding up to abuse so I tend to look that way on other platforms. Like you I think a 3 inch lift and a 33 is all you need for overlanding and shouldn't push the factory gearing to far out. I read where some guys went to a regear to 4.88's after completed builds bumpers, winch, racks and gear.

Old Man Emu Gallery

Good stuff, these trucks should be reasonably priced by the time my son gets his drivers license. Looking forward to your build to reference to.

If they go the way of the rest of the Toyota 4x4's we know and love, they will cost more in 20 years than they were new.

I'm with Larry though. It is great to go out and hit these parks, run trails, and have a good time. However, this XO stuff and other things I have been following make me want to go out and see more while I still can. Who knows what tomorrow brings and if we will still have our health. Let alone if we will be allowed to enjoy the land. I think some expedition travel would be really nice and my 4Runner just isn't the right platform anymore.

I can't wait for Colorado and Clever was talking about making a trip to Glacier National Park sometime in the next couple of years. He even found a list of trails in that area.

I'm excited for this build. Although, I am working on my Chevy right now and need to have it ready for the trip to AR in a couple of weeks. After that trip, I will be splitting focus between the plans I have for the 4Runner and what's coming for the Tacoma.

I agree bud I was bit by the overland bug. I've always been a traveler both with the family on family trips and for business I love seeing our country, the history and our National Parks. Putting the two together my passion for Toyota's and offroading and the backcountry travel is very inviting to me. We've been doing the offroad parks and trail events for 9 years now and though there are still many parks that I'd like to see I'm ready to shift in a new direction and dive into trying a few overland trips it looks fun. Check this out I never heard of the Trans American Trail but it looks like a great time even if you had to split it up into two different trips :) Its been a quiet week in the office I've been reading on overlanding trips a lot :D

I think the 255/85/16 look great on tacos. A couple of years ago at SCC the guy from Dallas Toyota was running them on his regular cab.

I might get a picture of the 235s next to the stock wheels tonight. 255s are the largest you can go without trimming. The pizza cutters have been good on my tows rig so far. Better mpg actually and I'm hoping to get the same on the Tacoma.

Unfortunately, mud doesn't load at work, and I can't have my phone either. It's hard to reply...

Last edited:
I think the 255/85/16 look great on tacos. A couple of years ago at SCC the guy from Dallas Toyota was running them on his regular cab.

Must be Jacque :)
268969_1818301986677_7675322_n.jpg

I might get a picture of the 235s next to the stock wheels tonight. 255s are the largest you can go without trimming. The pizza cutters have been good on my toes rig so far. Better mpg actually and I'm hoping to get the same on the Tacoma.

Unfortunately, mud doesn't load at work, and I can't have my phone either. It's hard to reply...

Interested to see what you find I would have thought with a 3inch lift you could smash some 285's under there its a good size and its a common but I guess the width is the problem. I liked the skinny 33x10.50's I ran on both my 40's aired down they felt no different than 285's or 315's.

I just watched that video and it looks great. That might even be more than two trips of it took them a month.

The rear of the front fender seems to be the issue when choosing tires. Also, around 3" of lift is where you get to the limits of the stock CV joints/axles. I plan to drop the did at least an inch to compensate.

I'm not sure I like the rear Springs. They are flat and like to go negative fast. I think a custom pack is in its future. I wish I hadn't scrapped all of my Springs prior to moving to SC.

Not sure if it's true but thats a good price.
Screenshot_2015-09-26-09-52-24-1.png

It looks to be true. I find it interesting that these are the original KMs and I thought they stopped making them a few years back.

I still haven't done anything yet, but wanted to show you some of the problems I see with tire sizing.

I'm running 32's (235/85/16) on my Chevy now and here is my spare next to the Taco. I think this would be a good size for stock or maybe a small lift.
IMG_20150927_115121_zps1b9izu5w.jpg

Just for fun, I rolled a 35" over. The tire is bigger than the wheel well. Going with an aftermarket bumper would fix the problem in the front, but there is a body mount right up against the back of the rear of the front fender. A 35" could fit with lift as long as you never stuffed it. If you want anything bigger than 33x10 (ish) than you absolutely will have to trim if you want to have any upward travel. You definitely need to watch your scrub radius as well.
IMG_20150927_143328_zpshaqjcwyf.jpg

Here's the rear of the fender (with mudflap)
IMG_20150927_115141_zpssnnznxr8.jpg

IMG_20150927_115202_zpsjegjdeyr.jpg

Body mount
IMG_20150927_115215_zpstii4frc0.jpg

Heres a picture of the UCA and top of spindle that may cause issues as well.
IMG_20150927_115258_zpsqdeqxvky.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom