2nd gen manual Tacoma 4.0 to 1kz-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently live in the Montana, USA where Toyota has decided not to sell diesel vehicles for decades. I don't particularly want to wait until I can import a newer Hilux or 4runner diesel. So I have devised a plan to build a modern, yet simplistic and bullet proof 2nd gen diesel Tacoma.

I will be starting off with a salvage Tacoma with a 6 speed manual (RA60f) and 4.0 1grfe. I plan to buy a Kz-Te 3.0 from eBay with a 5speed manual transmission (r151f). I will also be purchasing a 4m40 manual injection pump and converting the TE to a T as outlined here: 1KZ-T.. No longer TE (Mitsu 4m40 pump swap)

After being converted to a manual injection pump, the wiring should be pretty straight forward, as I mainly just have to integrate the dash, fuel solenoid and glow plugs. I plan to leave the ECU from the Tacoma intact, I should still be able to use things like the speedometer, temperature, fuel gauge and abs. I have tested them in a 4th gen 4runner and they seem to work without the engine running. I may also be able to get the tachometer working with a universal converter.

The bell housing are different between the two engines. I am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Either I will need to find someone build a bell housing that will go from the RA60 to the kz engine or just swap over the manual transmission that comes with the kz engine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is the R151 with the engine a 2wd or 4wd version? Not that it matters, R150 and R151 4x4's are plentiful and should be easy to locate. Since that is already in place it seems like the logical choice to me. No need to keep the 6 speed. If you need a tailhousing and transfer case and mounts, I have them here in Great falls, MT.

Do some research on the kz engines, they are great if done properly. Early ones had the cylinder head issues, can be rebuilt to be badass if you know what your doing.

I hope you already know this, but if not I’d read around the diesel section to find out these nuances that come with the territory.

I’m pretty sure the 03-05 year range KZs were the desirable versions.

I’ve done and worked on these swaps a couple times. Last one I did was a 1kz-te to r151 in a 40 and it was badass. Head had issues later on and had to be rebuilt (early eBay motor I believe).

Mounting it to the 6 speeds going to be interesting. I would advise foregoing the 6 and sticking with the r151, but I’ve never been a fan of the 6 personally....I admire anyone willing to make a custom bellhousing, so if you get it done more power to you.

Interested in your 4.0 V6 once you pulled it.

Hand forged, do you have any r151 (4x4) transmission?

Thanks for all good information.

From what I've found it sounds like the kzte can be bullet proof with the fallowing:
1. New AMC head
2. 3 inch exhaust
3. Front mount intercooler
4. Egt temp sensor

Does that seem pretty accurate to you?

Something else I am considering as I haven't started purchasing anything yet is a 2.0 common rail vw tdi engine. I can't get them pretty cheaply here. I would use a d4d, but I still can't find any in the states. I found a place in Canada that will make a stand alone wiring harness for around 600 dollar plus another 1000 dollars for an adapter plate to go to a r151.

I would prefer to keep it all Toyota. If I can get a cheap engine that has better support, it's going to be hard not to go with that option.

Also, fl40, I will keep you updated on the engine, I am looking at purchasing the truck right now. It has 60,000 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom