2nd Gen Front Wheel Hub and Bearings - options besides OEM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nay

Threads
My new to me 2008 Sequoia limited 4WD is now wearing 35” Patagonia MTs, and they seem to have exposed a front wheel bearing in decline. Of course there is no information about OEM, other than it appears Toyota sells the hub assembly and bearing separately, and while I have a press, that is an expensive PITA given the full assembly swap is maybe a 45 minute job and that’s if you have a beer.

What I can find for aftermarket is TRQ, which has generally “buy these if you want to do it twice” review, the usual crap like Dorman, and then an Ebay selling for brand “US Auto” that is the full assembly with OEM Koyo bearings. This looks like the way to go, but wondering if anybody has more intel than this?

The truck came with a Toytec/Bilstein 2” lift, I’d already bought the Dobinsons 2.5” so that is going on soon. I’m going to do the front bearings at the same time, really just looking for info on options.

Thanks. Oh, and I’ve hit a deer since this picture, but then that’s the goodness of not buying something new and just bolting on a better bumper.

7824F2B1-0906-45CB-8B9D-EF38B9E7E3DE.jpeg

What options does Rockauto give you? I put Koyo on all of my other landcruisers.
Rockauto looks like a lot of no-name stuff. I only put the Koyo on my 80 series that‘s on 38’s, I definitely am going to do the high end bearing.

The question with Toyota’s approach is they treat the hub as reusable, so you either press off and on new bearings and trust that the hub is still in good shape, or you buy from aftermarket that is selling the entire assembly and you can get Koyo bearings in this case, but non-OEM hub.

I’ve done this on my 4th gen 4Runner with an aftermarket hub using OEM bearing, which is about double the cost compared to pure aftermarket as is the case here ($150/ea), and that market exists precisely because Toyota doesn’t sell the assembly. I used Blue Pit Bearings for the 4th gen, and there were good reviews on quality and it’s the OEM bearing, I’m thinking same thing here as these solutions seem to be 1 or 2 engineer types who determine there is a good aftermarket for the complete assembly and then get them produced.

The key here is how simple and cheap the job is with the complete assembly. Pull the caliper and rotor, remove the CV axle retainer nut, and then it‘s four bolts to remove the old hub and install the new. That’s really preferable to pressing new bearings on a 14 year old hub. Or spending what Mr. T. wants for all the parts to assemble a new hub, which is ridiculous.

I found this link on a Tundra site, but there’s never any feedback because those people never follow through on their builds, it’s just ask a question and drop. There is poor feedback on TRQ and others, however, as in low mileage failure and “I tried to press on new bearings, couldn’t do it, took it to a shop who promptly charged me $275 for the job, and I still have the noise after reinstall”. I’m not super budget focused here in that $100 is make or break, but I am super focused on not aggravating myself with multiple iterations.

Wouldn’t it be cool if Toyota just sold the part like other OEMs do and for a reasonable price? I had to do a Forrester hub and the OEM assembly was $150 shipped out of the UAE from Partsouq. 45 minute job.

7E8D70C4-2AFB-4203-84AF-1405467EB2A8.jpeg

Last edited:
OK I bought the ^^^^ and will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom