2M/70cm Glass Mount? some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks, (originally posted this on the Lexus GX460 2nd Gen forum but thought this might be a better place)

I would like some wisdom on antenna mounts for my Ham radio in my 2018 GX460. I am not a power user and not too OCD about gain and antenna specs. I just want to occasionally screw my handheld into an externally mounted antenna while the radio is cradled it is in a glass suction mount on the windshield. Easy peasy ... ought to be a clean install.

The way I figure, my best solution is a glass mount for a dual band antenna. The radio will probably sit on the windshield near the driver's A pillar. Has anyone ever put a glass mounted in the upper left corner of the windshield? Anyone have thoughts on that? I want to minimize cable routing and penetrations so that would seem to be the way to go, but what do I know. I have lots of repeaters nearby so I am not overly concerned about hyper-optimizing the antenna/location etc.

The other question is, the driver and passenger rear windows are filled with antenna wires. If I put a glass mount antenna on one of those windows, mightn't they interfere with the ones that are inbuilt to the glass? Also, those windows have aftermarket tint on them (previous owner) ... does that hose up glass mount antennas?

Not looking to do magnetic mount with long cable runs.

Hope to hear back from some Hams/mobile antenna experts!

Well Crap, I was hoping someone would have some experience with a glass mount. I don't and haven't thought of using one. If you go with one, let us know how your experience was.

Larry in El Paso

No experience with them here; don't think I've ever seen one for any ham band, only for cell phone boosters.

Hi Folks, (originally posted this on the Lexus GX460 2nd Gen forum but thought this might be a better place)

I would like some wisdom on antenna mounts for my Ham radio in my 2018 GX460. I am not a power user and not too OCD about gain and antenna specs. I just want to occasionally screw my handheld into an externally mounted antenna while the radio is cradled it is in a glass suction mount on the windshield. Easy peasy ... ought to be a clean install.

The way I figure, my best solution is a glass mount for a dual band antenna. The radio will probably sit on the windshield near the driver's A pillar. Has anyone ever put a glass mounted in the upper left corner of the windshield? Anyone have thoughts on that? I want to minimize cable routing and penetrations so that would seem to be the way to go, but what do I know. I have lots of repeaters nearby so I am not overly concerned about hyper-optimizing the antenna/location etc.

The other question is, the driver and passenger rear windows are filled with antenna wires. If I put a glass mount antenna on one of those windows, mightn't they interfere with the ones that are inbuilt to the glass? Also, those windows have aftermarket tint on them (previous owner) ... does that hose up glass mount antennas?

Not looking to do magnetic mount with long cable runs.

Hope to hear back from some Hams/mobile antenna experts!
Glass mounts tend to have fairly hi losses and most have power limitations. Most max out at 50W which is what most meter mobile radios have. There are many though that are between 65 and 80 watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom