2L knock diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sure a few of you have been following along with the rebuild of my '85 2l diesel engine. Anyways, I was driving it around a bit, breaking in the piston rings. Driving it gently, driving it hard for short bursts. Was going good, felt great. Anyways, as I'm coasting down a hill, all of a sudden I get a knock. I immediately kill the engine and inspect it, oil is good, no puddles or any holes. I fire it up and it runs smooth for a few seconds then I lose a cylinder and the knock comes back. I crack each injector and cylinder 1 seemed to be the problem.

When I cracked it, a bunch of airy fuel bubbled on the fitting, no sharp spray up like the others. When I tightened it, it took a second to build pressure again and fire.

I let the truck sit off for a few minutes and coasted down the hill towards my house. About a block away I ran out of steam so I fired it up and it seemed to run normally. Drove it home like nothing was wrong.

Sitting in my driveway now I rev it a few times and all of a sudden it shudders and the knock is back.

It takes a bit to crank, and seems to be idling higher then it should. The lever is still on the throttle stop.

As you can see, injector 1 sprays a bit differently when cracked.

I'm honestly at a loss, it's almost like this engine just doesn't want to run ever. The injectors are reman from a local shop, the pump is an ebay reman.

DE9F5C9B-E12E-4424-8B3A-482EC5D5646B.jpeg

Well s*** this day is just getting worse and worse. Anyways pulled the injector. Looks okay but there’s a little bit of s*** on the inlet. I think the pump sucked up some old veggie oil from the old lines and slammed it into injector 1. Guess I’ll pull all the injectors apart and clean them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom