2H Radiator flush or rinse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Slowly going through my Troopy and changing fluids and cleaning things up. I've never flushed a radiator... nor drained one. When I took the radiator cap off it was pretty dirty inside... like baby diaper diarrhea dirty.

2H has never run hot and I have not had a cooling issue... but thought it might be a good idea to get the radiator flushed and cleaned.

Heres my questions:
1. Will flushing the radiator "stir things up" where it might cause some cooling problems?
(I was going to have my local diesel shop flush it for me)

2. Do I need to put a new thermostat in when I flush the radiator?

3. The radiator overflow bottle... is it supposed to be to the "full" line with water or mixture of water and anti-freeze? (It it down at the "low" line and full of sludge)

Thanks for the help.

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Thermostat is not leaking... but looks like it is sweating.

photo 5.JPG

3.JPG

That looks pretty dirty, definitely flush it out. Make sure they also flush the engine block completely through the engine block coolant drain (not sure where it is on the 2H). Yes you might cause some issues flushing (may find leaks in rad or heater core), but better to find the issues now then when you are on the road. You should have the whole cooling system flushed (engine and heater core). If it were me I would install a new thermostat and gasket.
Replace any old coolant hoses while you are at it. Also make sure your block heater works if you have one. The overflow tank should have the same mixture as the rest of the system (generally 50/50). It is good practice to use distilled water when mixing with antifreeze. Keep the overflow tank at the max line.
Good luck!

Just had a thought...ask the shop how they flush.
Some places will just drain and refill with water and run the engine and drain it and repeat until the water is clean.
I used to work for a radiator shop...when they flushed things they did it with a water/air pressure gun, this thing would really blast the system out. If the radiator was off the vehicle the same tool would be used. Flushed in the reverse direction of normal flow.

Jzilla - thanks for the info. I will do that in the morning when I talk to the shop.

Reviving this thread, can anyone tell me where the engine block plug is to drain the radiator fluid?

A picture would be very helpful.
I just pulled my radiator and I’m taking it to a shop to have cleaned/pressure tested. Before putting everything back, I’d love to completely drain the current fluid and then replace with toyota red.
Thanks

Reviving this thread, can anyone tell me where the engine block plug is to drain the radiator fluid?

Here's a video I did of flushing a 2H block and heater core.. you will have to do this multiple times to get that muck out.. If yours is an HJ60 consider a rear heater delete at the same time. Make sure your heater tap is on when you do this.

Here's a video I did of flushing a 2H block and heater core.. you will have to do this multiple times to get that muck out.. If yours is an HJ60 consider a rear heater delete at the same time. Make sure your heater tap is on when you do this.

Thanks! That’s perfect.

When I removed the thermostat the bolts broke:

2_429a6a5f660953bac5b989b902f1a0e2_t.jpg

2_e45d6091f39bb095efed38029df118ff.jpg

2_416d6370e28a05c6cf3bd9a5d579602d_t.jpg

The crap kept coming out,maybe stop leak stuff, repaired cracked seal and after 30 kilometers it broke again, replaced with new rad:

2_762df594a02f221a4ff56b02397c52c4.jpg

rad drain valve is plastic and if it is to tight I would not like to break it:

2_2ddbb9832032819141973bf4a7bed97b.jpg

This type clamp failed me 3 times with new rad hoses, they popped of just before a 4000km trip, never again, only the NON STAINLESS!! (=to soft metal) wrench clamps:

2_41f70d23210b56daedcc64ab00a81619.jpg

engine drain:

2_0f914f1e99bc5f2f5b7a2b3cc7cc1bbf.jpg

few more pictures here: Radiator, cooling, heater DEFA 411122 30mm 600W

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom