2F Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan to have my 1979 2F rebuilt in the next 6 months or so. Can anyone recommend a good shop to do this work? It would be helpful if that shop could also do the tranny and xfer case as well.

Thanks.

-Max

Call Lance at www.ironpigoffroad.com. They are at Fredricksburg VA. There's also 4x4connection at Harrisonburg VA(?) but that's further away I guess. I'm not sure if they do engine rebuild or not as they used to do few years ago. 4x4 or Good LC shops around DC,MD,VA area seem to be pretty scarce. Some one else hopefully chimes in on this but that's all I know.

Good Luck

I thought 4x4 Connection was in Winchester, VA?

Yep, you're right, I just checked their website. I was confused about their location. Anyway, I bet Burl would know a lot about them. I bet he knows the right people for the job too. I'm not sure about this but his 60 also has a 2F right? His user name is "VA.CRUISER", send him a PM. Hope that helps

After 4x4 connection, when it was known as Land Cruiser Connection killed my buddy Allen Dickenson's engine by not seating the distributor correctly, and then not taking responsibility for it I would avoid them for anything.

I don't believe that 4x4 connection does repair work anymore anyway. Lance at Iron Pig will stand behind his work, I have seen it before. Be prepared for a large bill from anywhere depending on the work you want done. The 2F rebuild kit runs around $600 just for the parts. Tranny and transfer case rebuild kits run around $200 - 300 each.

Why all the rebuilding, what is wrong with your drivetrain?

Last edited:
I don't know if its any cheaper, but what about some of the big companies that do remanufactured engine?
http://remanufactured.com/Toyota_ Engines.htm

$2600 + $600 core
I guess you would have to reinstall it yourself

Is it Jasper that does them as well? Going this way may be more expensive, but I don't know. Some of them have decent milage warrenties on them as well.. Just a thought

The truc has been sitting idle in my garage for about 5 years. Last time I started it was 3 or 4 years ago. When I drove it, the tranny definitely had issues, and I know the compresson in two cylinders was on the low side.

I figure if I'm going to restore this truck, I need to get the engine/drivetrain in tiptop shape.

As far as 4x4 Connection goes, when they were still Land Cruiser Connection, I had them qoute me for a rebuild of the engine alone about 4 years ago. They wanted $8,000 to do it - I told them I could buy another truck for that money! I guess they didn't want the business.

-Max

FWIW,

I dont think Lance does rebuilds, when it comes to engines he mostly does swaps. I spoke with him about 1FZ rebuilds since I'm getting up there(mileage) but i just dont think he is set up for doing rebuilds. Evidently, since the amount of fab work going on in their shop, it would be easy to contaminate an engine.
Nevertheless, he's a pretty good local source and is always more then happy to talk about this kind of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom