2F head issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddy has a 84 fj60. And he has had lots of problems with overheating. (probably bc he drove it with a closed thermostat for 6 mo. vapor locking it every day) Anywho There is no evidence of a blown head gasket except he took it to a shop and he said there was a high level hydocarbons in the coolant indicating exhaust in the coolant. I think it might be a bad HG and/or a warped head. what do you think.

Also what does it cost to have the head remachined. Also if the head is remachined do I have to get the block remachined.

Have you done a compression test? I would start with that. Test it dry first and then put a small squirt of oil in the cylinder (wet test) and see if the compression comes up. If it comes up on the wet test, then the rings are not in the best shape.

Do you have white smoke? That is a sign of a head leaking coolant into the exhaust. First rule out compression and then figure out the whole overheating issue.

Does it still overheat with a functional thermostat? If you've tried all the usual fixes and it still overheats, then yes the head gasket is likely leaking. If it runs at the right temp, try changing the coolant. Test for hydrocarbons again in a few months. You might luck out and not need to pull the head. Make sure the oil isn't contaminated with coolant.

As for cost of a HG job... I don't know, at least $600 I would guess.

The later heads are prone to cracking if they overheat, so I would bet this is the case.........if you pull it, have it 'fluxed.
Butch

"edit" when you pull it :flipoff2:

chitown40 said:
Lee Auto Parts' machine shop did mine for about $350 including magnaflux and complete rebuild.

wholy crap thats cheap. Im planning on doing it myself unless I find prices like that.

Yes it still overheats.

Ill probably just pull the head and have it remachined and rebuilt. Hope to get it done for under 400

I went with the Lee Auto main store in Des Plaines. I pretty much had both my manifolds and the head done in just under a week. That included one new valve, new seals, new guides when needed. They also cleaned and/or blasted my manifolds and planed them for me. Whole thing was $380. The only thing they didn't do was replace the oil galley plug by the #5 cylinder and after I re-installed everything I started getting some seepage from there. I was pissed, 'cause I thought the head was cracked, but after a little closer look it appeared to be a plug, and it was working itself a little loose. Tapped it back in and no problems since. Even have a spare plug ready to go now from our pal C-Dan.

Pulling the head really isn't that difficult of a job, but it's stinkin heavy and probably best done with two people so not to damage it or anything underneath it in the engine compartment. Two people working on it when re-installing makes the job go quick.

Thanks guys this job should be easier than working my 3.0 :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom