27 mpg??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the Toyota Canada website they're rating the automatic at 27 mpg.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/4/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.FJCruiser-eaMSU9pCSCURDhFtvbxEbw/5.15?v125040e%2ehtml#FUEL

That seems quite a bit different then everything else I've read. Anyone care to comment. I'm trying to decide between this vehicle and the new Jeep diesel Wrangler. Although fuel economy is not the most important thing it does enetr into my decision. Would you think the Fj would be availble in a diesel at some ponit.

thanks

i dont see anything on jeep a/b a diesel wrangler

digididawg said:

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/4/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.FJCruiser-eaMSU9pCSCURDhFtvbxEbw/5.15?v125040e%2ehtml#FUEL

That seems quite a bit different then everything else I've read. Anyone care to comment. I'm trying to decide between this vehicle and the new Jeep diesel Wrangler. Although fuel economy is not the most important thing it does enetr into my decision. Would you think the Fj would be availble in a diesel at some ponit.

thanks

Do you mean a diesel Jeep Liberty?

I have not even seen a FJ cruiser yet, but I would probably get a gas FJ before a diesel jeep. Don't get me wrong. I like diesel, I own diesel and prefer it. Actually I love diesel.

But even though the engine is diesel (which is nice) its not enought to save the liberty. Between the two I would pick I am 99% sure I would buy the gas cruiser.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
digididawg said:

thanks

BTW: Where do you live? If your in Canada get a diesel cruiser import from Japan.

I do live in Canada and the new 07 Wrangler coming out in the fall will be offered with a diesel here, or so I've read in a couple of different articles. I currenty have a 97 TJ which is strictly a summer vehicle, no top, windshield down all the time, just love it and an 03 Liberty for year round use. I would be replacing the Liberty with the FJ.
I've been very excited about the FJ since it was just a prototype in 03 but the lack of engine options is a little dissapointing. As mentioned before, fuel mileage will not be the determining factor in my choice but with gas at a dollar a litre up here it will enter into the decision. When I saw the mileage numbers on the Toyota Canada website at 27 mpg I thought that was a number I would be very happy with but after reading everywhere else that the FJ's mileage numbers are more like 21-23 highway I'm just wandering how they can be so much different.
Again, anyone care to comment?
Thanks
Hot Digididawg!

Beware the great fuel consumption marketing that people throw around in Canada.

Everyone in Canada knows that a Gallon is always a US gallon when quoting MPG's for vehicles. All dealers and a lot of guys on the diesel forum like to trick themselves into thinking that they're getting great fuel economy by using Candian gallons in MPG.

IIRC a Canadian Gallon = 4.4 L
a US gallon = 3.78 L

Convert by x (3.78/4.4) = 0.86

so FJC auto is 18 / 23 mpg city / hwy
FJC man is 16.3 / 22.3 mpg city / hwy

I'd have a hard time believing the FJ gets 27 mpg.

I bought an 05 Outback 2.5i that's EPA rated at 28 max mpg if I remember correctly. It has not touched 28 mpg yet, if I'm lucky 24, over 80 mph only around 18 mpg. I do have a Yakima rocket box on top and usually have 2-4 whitewater kayaks on top and or my mtb. So on weekend highway trips to the mountains it's around 20-22 mpg max, driving slow. Even without the Rocket Box or anything else on top I have not obtained 28 mpg. Maybe if it was completely empty with only me in it, nothing on top and I drove exactly 55 mph, then perhaps it could reach 28 mpg.

The FJ Cruiser in comparison is much taller, much boxier with around 70 or so more horsepower and taller tires. So I seriously doubt 27 mpg with a FJ gasser.

Besides, automatics generally get worse gas mileage as they tend to turn higher rpms during acceleration in traffic.

I'd expect something in the 22 mpg range, highway, for the FJ, maybe with a 4 cylinder. A 6 is probably going to be 17 and 21.

Who knows?

Thanks, I forgot to take into consideration that the U.S. gallon is different then the Canadian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom