255/75R17 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new wheel / tire set up. I plan on going with a 17 wheel but as far as tire goes, I know that the 265/70R17 should fit without issue but would I be able to fit a 255/75R17 without doing a body mount chop? I am 100% okay with heating/bending the plastic liner but I want to avoid a body mount chop.

I am very interested in the additional inch of clearance that's comes with the 255 vs the 265 but I am also aware that this is a skinner tire as well. Is there any reason I should avoid the 255/75R17 and go with the tried and true 265/70R17?

I can't answer your question specifically but can share my experience with the equivalent for 18" wheels (255/70/18) on my 2011 on the stock wheels. I get a teensy amount of rub on the rear inner fender liner bolt when I am at the perfect angle and enter my driveway or up a small curb etc. I would expect to rub in the same area if I took it offroad. Different offset on the wheels will likely yield different results. Considering it's a 32" tire, I doubt a BMC would be needed but I'll let someone with more experience answer that. Do you know the offset you'll be running?

I can't answer your question specifically but can share my experience with the equivalent for 18" wheels (255/70/18) on my 2011 on the stock wheels. I get a teensy amount of rub on the rear inner fender liner bolt when I am at the perfect angle and enter my driveway or up a small curb etc. I would expect to rub in the same area if I took it offroad. Different offset on the wheels will likely yield different results. Considering it's a 32" tire, I doubt a BMC would be needed but I'll let someone with more experience answer that. Do you know the offset you'll be running?
Sorry about that, I should have included that info. I was planning on going with a 0 offset but I am open to suggestions.

With that fender liner bolt you mention, is that something you could switch out with a lower profile bolt you think? If that's even a thing.

Also, I should add that I plan to buy a RIGd tire carrier for my spare so the spare tire location will not be an issue.

Sorry about that, I should have included that info. I was planning on going with a 0 offset but I am open to suggestions.

With that fender liner bolt you mention, is that something you could switch out with a lower profile bolt you think? If that's even a thing.

Also, I should add that I plan to buy a RIGd tire carrier for my spare so the spare tire location will not be an issue.
I believe it's a common thing, some folks use a zip tie or other fastener, some folks live with it. I think 0 offset would likely make it 'worse', like more of the tire would interfere with that area, but hopefully some others will chime in with the common fixes.

Go to this link and punch in some tire sizes. This will tell you what your outside diameter and width will be: Tire Size Calculator - https://tiresize.com/calculator/
If you know a 265/70R17 fits, using the link above, the 255/75R17 may or may not fit depending upon how much room you have. The 255/75R17 is about 0.5" larger in diameter.
I know not ALL tire manufacturers are exact about the size call-out and the actual tire dimensions, but they are absolutely close enough for your needs.

There's a .4" diameter range between different 265/70R17 tires. Other sizes would likely show a similar range. You can find the actual mounted diameter on Tire Rack's web site.

There's a .4" diameter range between different 265/70R17 tires. Other sizes would likely show a similar range. You can find the actual mounted diameter on Tire Rack's web site.
Thank you, I will check Tire Rack for that info on the few tires I am looking at.

Thank you, I will check Tire Rack for that info on the few tires I am looking at.
TireRack also has reviews of their tires on how they do in rain, snow, ice, etc.
Very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom