22r, Propane, and The Rubicon - Fuel Efficiency (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning on tackling the Rubicon later this year in my 1981 Mini Truck with a propane converted 22r. A buddy of mine built the rig a number of years ago and it's been a weekend trail rig so efficiency is not particularly important. Tackling the almost-17 mile Rubicon puts a slightly different slant on making sure I have enough propane to handle the trail.

It's got two 8-gallon forklift propane tanks on the back of the rig currently. Fabrication would be needed, but have another two at disposal. Puttering around the trails at the offroad park, it gets a full day and potentially some of the next on the 8 gallons of propane. Mileage is unknown on these weekend trips, but it's probably not quite 8 miles of wheeling (or half of the Rubicon).

It's my understanding fuel economy on propane is about what it is on gasoline - some variance depending on the source.

So, for those that have done the Rubicon on a propane mini truck or 4runner on 35s, how should I approach the fuel situation? Am I good with two 8 gallon propane tanks? Should I find a way to carry a third or fourth propane tank to complete this?

Thanks,

Jack

1675051362571.jpeg

Pic of rig as a reference.

My 22R is not propane powered, nor have I done the Con. But it sure sounds to me, with your math, that you should at least have a third tank aboard somewhere.

My 22R is not propane powered, nor have I done the Con. But it sure sounds to me, with your math, that you should at least have a third tank aboard somewhere.
Thanks for the input... Sounds like a third at the very least is in my future. I'll need to do a little more digging on this, but I found this post on the Marlin Crawler board that people are using less than a tank of fuel.

I'll need to think through the logistics of this, but maybe having one in the vehicle at the end of the trail is the solution in case I run out with a few miles left? Not ideal.

Here is my experience: I ran the Rubicon in my old truggy (22R on propane, 5-spd, dual cases, tons, 42's) from Loon to Rubicon Springs and back to Loon. Before the trip, I modified my cage to hold two propane tanks. I did that whole trip plus a half day wheeling back home on the large tank.

untitled-0981.jpg

74128.jpg

Two years ago, I ran the Rubicon in my current truck (5VZ, 5-spd, dual cases, 5.29 Yota axles, 37's) with a stock fuel tank. We filled up on the way to Loon Lake and I made it all the way back to S Lake Tahoe on my tank.

AMWts8DgXJ6hdoCmtEEkXMjweEJttp8erGzULya9_NExoU3sLEVZ68xY6ZQwvDnoupClPqo_Gq3FgtuimndmaJE4RcN1mvBZPPeF4VqSbhpSXIRTvkdm7aV0eu7vb0El0EB_gk4N_Dbpl1McaqfF9jyBnzh5=w1250-h937-no

AMWts8AJiscn8gkL9dV-lfxsgVqv2X1iFSnTT5XYgzdDOsOiimCILBLViKwi80HCBtLE4BoZCPdcwOhqywBQGW-i2hrw1zfn8yFa6M2UZA0aab9SR-ITrgS3rIW434sa4jLJDOo12sKHCAnHRsX63ECIWOF0=w1250-h937-no

My buddy on that trip in his 4Runner (3VZ, 5-spd, single 4.7 case, 5.29 Yota axles, 37's) didn't quite make it... But he also spent some time on his side at Soup Bowl.

AMWts8DpiBKe1RDxpNs4pGrX3UjPMr8KL5XgnPYkmQZnpykj7-HlUyMhk2XucebjhgKoLBarXDJV4AIhUrky8k75YEaGnkGE_ikaO_95dTSlGE_owu3PEZul7kgHgYEh1RDIpsJBV8mPYDrqWCsdHeGvz_0oFQ=w703-h937-no

Here is my experience: I ran the Rubicon in my old truggy (22R on propane, 5-spd, dual cases, tons, 42's) from Loon to Rubicon Springs and back to Loon. Before the trip, I modified my cage to hold two propane tanks. I did that whole trip plus a half day wheeling back home on the large tank.

untitled-0981.jpg

74128.jpg

Two years ago, I ran the Rubicon in my current truck (5VZ, 5-spd, dual cases, 5.29 Yota axles, 37's) with a stock fuel tank. We filled up on the way to Loon Lake and I made it all the way back to S Lake Tahoe on my tank.

AMWts8DgXJ6hdoCmtEEkXMjweEJttp8erGzULya9_NExoU3sLEVZ68xY6ZQwvDnoupClPqo_Gq3FgtuimndmaJE4RcN1mvBZPPeF4VqSbhpSXIRTvkdm7aV0eu7vb0El0EB_gk4N_Dbpl1McaqfF9jyBnzh5=w1250-h937-no

AMWts8AJiscn8gkL9dV-lfxsgVqv2X1iFSnTT5XYgzdDOsOiimCILBLViKwi80HCBtLE4BoZCPdcwOhqywBQGW-i2hrw1zfn8yFa6M2UZA0aab9SR-ITrgS3rIW434sa4jLJDOo12sKHCAnHRsX63ECIWOF0=w1250-h937-no

My buddy on that trip in his 4Runner (3VZ, 5-spd, single 4.7 case, 5.29 Yota axles, 37's) didn't quite make it... But he also spent some time on his side at Soup Bowl.

AMWts8DpiBKe1RDxpNs4pGrX3UjPMr8KL5XgnPYkmQZnpykj7-HlUyMhk2XucebjhgKoLBarXDJV4AIhUrky8k75YEaGnkGE_ikaO_95dTSlGE_owu3PEZul7kgHgYEh1RDIpsJBV8mPYDrqWCsdHeGvz_0oFQ=w703-h937-no
The larger one looks to be something like a 30 lb tank?

Thinking back on it, they may have been the same size and that pic one is sitting lower... No idea on the size, though.

IMG-20180602-093448-884.jpg
That’s interesting. So, let’s say that it is the larger tank, that’s going to be a 10 gallon tank. You did a lot go wheeling on either 8 or 10 gallons (worst case). In my case, I’d have 16 just as it sits without modification between the two 8 gallon tanks.

How long did it take you to do the Rubicon? It’s possible that I will have more idle time doing this in 2 days.

Calling @theSherpa for his thoughts too.

Last edited:
More light reading on the subject:

I have a '94 F150 with a 351w on propane...30 gallon tank(24 is the 80% capacity, which is what it gets filled to) I get about 165 miles to a tank daily driving it. That is essentially driving 30mph for 5.5 hours with lots of stop and go and 2 cold engine starts a day. Dunno if that helps, but I'd imagine the 22r is going to be more efficient than that considering the propane is just on a draw principle relative to how much air the engine is pulling.

Last edited:
That’s interesting. So, let’s say that it is the larger tank, that’s going to be a 10 gallon tank. You did a lot go wheeling on either 8 or 10 gallons (worst case). In my case, I’d have 16 just as it sits without modification between the two 8 gallon tanks.

How long did it take you to do the Rubicon? It’s possible that I will have more idle time doing this in 2 days.

Calling @theSherpa for his thoughts too.

I actually did two days to Rubicon Springs, then one day out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom