2033 GX470 TRD Supercharged - now what?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

get2daGX0r

Threads
So I've been running my 2003 GX470 with a TRD Supercharger since for a few months with a Unichip piggyback...that has died (P2112 throttle stuck closed, boo). Troubleshooting confirmed everything that would normally throw that error (throttle body, wires, ECU are fine). So while I appreciate how smooth, quick, and powerful my truck has been - and the customer service at times - I'm done with Unichip because this failure has been a diagnostics headache.

So I've chatted with a couple of the TRD gurus and heard that maybe I should try the MAP-ECU and also that some people running with stock ECUs that are being programmed (OVTune or something else, I'm not sure). Either way, I'm searching for suggestions on tuning software and hardware or at least some scheme to program and run my 9th/10th injectors. I'm also looking for a willing tuner with a reasonable distance to tune this for me (I'm in Oregon).

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

2003. I meant 2003.

Slightly off topic but I’d love to see and hear any videos you had before it died.

So I've been running my 2003 GX470 with a TRD Supercharger since for a few months with a Unichip piggyback...that has died (P2112 throttle stuck closed, boo). Troubleshooting confirmed everything that would normally throw that error (throttle body, wires, ECU are fine). So while I appreciate how smooth, quick, and powerful my truck has been - and the customer service at times - I'm done with Unichip because this failure has been a diagnostics headache.

So I've chatted with a couple of the TRD gurus and heard that maybe I should try the MAP-ECU and also that some people running with stock ECUs that are being programmed (OVTune or something else, I'm not sure). Either way, I'm searching for suggestions on tuning software and hardware or at least some scheme to program and run my 9th/10th injectors. I'm also looking for a willing tuner with a reasonable distance to tune this for me (I'm in Oregon).

I saw some posts in the 100 series forum on superchargers. I think they have a bit more experience with them and it’s the same engine.

I have some videos I have been meaning to organize and post. Hopefully soon...

Thanks, I'll have a look at the 100 series forums.

Bump to say this was not a Unichip issue - it was a cluster of components, primarily both knock sensors dying in fits and starts and in close succession (months). The Unichip is great.

I’m curious about your experience with the TRD charger. Several years ago, I obtained a TRD unit with the TRD ECU piggyback from a wrecked Sequoia. Outside factors have repeatedly kept me from installing it on my Gx, but I’m doing it this summer, come hell or high water.

How do you like the supercharged engine? Any cautions or warnings?

Considering my SC has unknown mileage and has been sitting for several years, I should probably have the wear-parts refurbished. Anyone have recommendations for a reputable company around Denver?

So did the knock sensors die because they were over worked from the supercharger detonation?

Hard to say. I added 3 years of driving with the supercharger and they failed in close succession at around 195,000 miles, so it was unclear if it was age or the added radiant heat or wtv. I got so much use out of it, it didn’t really matter. Since replacing the knock sensors, I’ve had no issues, and it was the only issue I ever had aside from needing a slightly warmer thermostat.

I have a feeling I would have seen or felt errors much earlier if it was a detonation issue. Also, the CEL thrown for knock sensor issues has to do with sensor failure, and not detonation itself (and the detonations, even if causing knock, shouldn’t harm the piezo). I will say this: the replacements HAVE TO BE LEXUS PARTS. No one has made an equivalent replacement part with the right characteristics; I know because I tried third-party parts, even expensive ones, and only the Lexus parts worked. I think it is a quality of piezoelectronics.

Last edited:
I’m curious about your experience with the TRD charger. Several years ago, I obtained a TRD unit with the TRD ECU piggyback from a wrecked Sequoia. Outside factors have repeatedly kept me from installing it on my Gx, but I’m doing it this summer, come hell or high water.

How do you like the supercharged engine? Any cautions or warnings?

Considering my SC has unknown mileage and has been sitting for several years, I should probably have the wear-parts refurbished. Anyone have recommendations for a reputable company around Denver?

You should at least change the oil in the supercharger, and if the mileage is really unknown, have the nosedrive and bearings refurbished.

The most important things I learned were:

1. The TRD ECU is garbage. The mappings seem to be set to maximize the tow characteristics of a Tundra. Get a Unichip. Talk to Tony at the Unichip offices. He helped make some of the maps. The system plugs into the OEM harnesses, connects to the ninth and tenth injectors as well as the bypass relay, and has a turbo module to sense the pressure. No wires to splice, just great quality OEM connectors. It’s brilliant attention to detail and an example of how amazing aftermarket goods can be.

2. A 170 degree thermostat is key to avoiding a CEL. You’ll thank me when you avoid draining the coolant to make the switch from the 160 deg the TRD kit supplies.

Otherwise it is beautifully plug and play, fun as hell (makes the GX very responsive), sounds awesome, and is very reliable.

There are people in or around Denver that are familiar with the kit, but it’s best to send off to Magnuson for refurbishment IMHO.

Last edited:
Hard to say. I added 3 years of driving with the supercharger and they failed in close succession at around 195,000 miles, so it was unclear if it was age or the added radiant heat or wtv. I got so much use out of it, it didn’t really matter. Since replacing the knock sensors, I’ve had no issues, and it was the only issue I ever had aside from needing a slightly warmer thermostat.

I have a feeling I would have seen or felt errors much earlier if it was a detonation issue. Also, the CEL thrown for knock sensor issues has to do with sensor failure, and not detonation itself (and the detonations, even if causing knock, shouldn’t harm the piezo). I will say this: the replacements HAVE TO BE LEXUS PARTS. No one has made an equivalent replacement part with the right characteristics; I know because I tried third-party parts, even expensive ones, and only the Lexus parts worked. I think it is a quality of piezoelectronics.

What do mean by “They failed in close succession”? What failed?

Thanks for that info about the thermostat causing CEL issues, and the genuine OEM details. Would you recommend replacing knock sensors pre-emptively?

In terms of the piggyback ECU’s, can you tell me a bit more about the TRD unit’s characteristics. I’m not familiar with Tundra towing characteristics.

I have a set of staneless steel Doug Thorley headers to replace OEM while I’m already mucking with it. I don’t actually want anymore sound, but I figure that getting exhaust gases out more easily will take a little strain and heat off of the engine internals.

I also installed a Lenz Design snorkel. I generally think 99.5% of snorkels have never been used for their stated purpose. However, I was talking to some guys at a local Toyota/Lexus offroading shop. They have incidentally noted on engine diagnostics that intake air temps on “snorkeled” vehicles tend to run around 15 degrees cooler than stock vehicles. I would like to keep IAT’s as low as possible on any type of boosted engine, especially without an intercooler. I might even wrap the under-hood airbox and intake hoses with auto insulation to keep heat transfer to a minimum. It probably won’t do anything, but cheap/easy and won’t hurt anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom