2019 GX stuck in garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm normally in the 80-series section, but today I have a GX question. My mom has a 2019 GX460 with 23k miles in the NE (so some salt exposure, but she normally doesn't drive it if it's bad out). It's been sitting in her garage since the end of July without being touched (a little over two months now), and when she tried to back it out today, it wouldn't move. I'll try and relate what we went through over the phone (she's on the other side of the country from me) as best I can.
  1. Press start button (vehicle starts)
  2. Release parking brake (when pushed down, the pedal does come back up)
  3. Foot on brake
  4. Move shifter to Reverse (dash indicates "R" with 4 little corner brackets flashing around it, unclear to me what if anything this means)
  5. foot off brake (car doesn't move)
I also had her give it a little gas (~1500 RPM) when it didn't start moving at idle. At first it did move a little bit, but she said it felt like it had a lot of resistance. When that happened she stopped it right away. We ended up playing with the parking brake some more, and when I had her give it 1500RPM again, it did not move at all.

It seems like the parking brake might be stuck on? Is that a common issue on these? I'm just surprised she's having an issue at all with how little this truck has been used. It looks literally brand new, and was working perfectly fine when parked two months ago. I'm not super familiar with newer vehicles/push button start, so I tried to provide exactly what we did as closely as I could.

Any input on what the problem may be or things to try is appreciated. TIA!

It’s probably something else, but I’ve noticed twice on my 470 that if I park it immediately after a car wash (without driving a bit to dry rotors, pads etc), that by the next day things have rusted together. it takes a bit of throttle to get everything separated again, and the noise created when things break free is disturbing.
Did Mom get a wash before putting it away for 2 months?
Again, it’s probably something much more sinister 😎.
Good luck

It’s probably something else, but I’ve noticed twice on my 470 that if I park it immediately after a car wash (without driving a bit to dry rotors, pads etc), that by the next day things have rusted together. it takes a bit of throttle to get everything separated again, and the noise created when things break free is disturbing.
Did Mom get a wash before putting it away for 2 months?
Again, it’s probably something much more sinister 😎.
Good luck

So the solution here is just power out? Any possibility of hurting anything by trying?

Edit: I had her put it in low range and give it some gas, and it popped free. She thinks she may have washed it right before she put it away. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Is she a capable enough driver to just put it in revers and punch it out of the garage with the other foot ready on the break pedal for when it does release?
Other wise it may need to be towed to a mechanic to remove the rear wheels and physically separate the pads from the drums.

fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d253149028d9ce0fca9def3aaf63a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom