2018 GX460 New Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, new to the community. Just thought I would share my (new to me) 2018 GX460. Just put 17" TRD Wheels with Toyo Open Country ATIIIs in 265/65/r17 on this week.
IMG_E3796.JPG

Hey, new to the community. Just thought I would share my (new to me) 2018 GX460. Just put 17" TRD Wheels with Toyo Open Country ATIIIs in 265/65/r17 on this week.View attachment 2695774
Hey man I am new to the forum as well. Looking to do exactly what you did in regard to the wheels. Where did you get those and cost if you don't mind? Also do you have any rubbing issue? They look great

Love em! I'm also excited to see people start mounting up the newest (2021, I think?) TRD Pro Wheels.

The spokes are a bit more exaggerated and might compliment the Lexus pretty well.

2021-toyota-trd-model-110-1594132063.jpg

Any other plans? E.g. suspension, bumpers, etc.?
The car should be paid off in about a year, at which point I plan on doing the bumpers, side rockers, and a rear tire carrier. It's a luxury trim, so I'll do a lift once the air suspension needs redoing, since it'll cost an arm and a leg anyways.

Hey man I am new to the forum as well. Looking to do exactly what you did in regard to the wheels. Where did you get those and cost if you don't mind? Also do you have any rubbing issue? They look great
I ordered them online through my local Toyota Dealer. It was...a hassle, to say the least. Most dealers are only getting in 4 at a time, and since I went from 18" rims to 17", I needed to replace the spare as well, meaning 5 wheels. I had to cancel an order for one wheel, pick up the first 4, then hunt down a 5th from my other local dealers (benefit of living in a really big city, DFW). Took over a month to get the first 4, then 2 more weeks of calling around to get the 5th. There were some other online sites, but they couldn't guarantee a timely delivery either. Oddly, most of the dealers mentioned that there were over 1000 in a warehouse in Houston, and another 300+ in a warehouse in Kentucky of this exact wheel. Average cost on the wheel was about $200 per rim, and the tires were another $200 apiece from Discount Tire. No rub, as these are as close to factory dimensions as I could get with the smaller wheel.

I ordered them online through my local Toyota Dealer. It was...a hassle, to say the least. Most dealers are only getting in 4 at a time, and since I went from 18" rims to 17", I needed to replace the spare as well, meaning 5 wheels. I had to cancel an order for one wheel, pick up the first 4, then hunt down a 5th from my other local dealers (benefit of living in a really big city, DFW). Took over a month to get the first 4, then 2 more weeks of calling around to get the 5th. There were some other online sites, but they couldn't guarantee a timely delivery either. Oddly, most of the dealers mentioned that there were over 1000 in a warehouse in Houston, and another 300+ in a warehouse in Kentucky of this exact wheel. Average cost on the wheel was about $200 per rim, and the tires were another $200 apiece from Discount Tire. No rub, as these are as close to factory dimensions as I could get with the smaller wheel.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look into this at my local dealer as I would like to copy cat lol. Sorry man they look too good. Did you get new lug nuts as well or re-use stock ones? Look forward to seeing your other mods in the future.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look into this at my local dealer as I would like to copy cat lol. Sorry man they look too good. Did you get new lug nuts as well or re-use stock ones? Look forward to seeing your other mods in the future.
No worries. I'll probably get some black lug nuts down the road, but I was having a hard time finding a black locking nut, and I really wanted to make sure I had that for this summer's road trips. I'll be in some...less desirable areas, before getting to some of my destinations.

No worries. I'll probably get some black lug nuts down the road, but I was having a hard time finding a black locking nut, and I really wanted to make sure I had that for this summer's road trips. I'll be in some...less desirable areas, before getting to some of my destinations.
I got some black lug nuts off Amazon for a reasonable price. Be aware that most are going to be too short, so find the longer length ones. As to the locking nut, they make little silicone caps for them you could probably use. I ditched the locking lug nuts long ago as more hassle than they were worth. Haven't had a wheel stolen since I lived in S. America...

Are there any 18" TRD versions out there with a 0 offset or -10 offset? If there are I must be looking in the wrong places because I cant seem to find much in an 18" with 6 lug bolt pattern.

Are there any 18" TRD versions out there with a 0 offset or -10 offset? If there are I must be looking in the wrong places because I cant seem to find much in an 18" with 6 lug bolt pattern.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen an 18” TRD wheel.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen an 18” TRD wheel.
I think the 18s I have found online are replicas. Was looking for genuine TRDs but dont think they exist either in a 6 lug pattern but hoping that wasnt the case. The wife's 460 has close to new tires and I hate to buy tires just to get new wheels.

I think the 18s I have found online are replicas. Was looking for genuine TRDs but dont think they exist either in a 6 lug pattern but hoping that wasnt the case. The wife's 460 has close to new tires and I hate to buy tires just to get new wheels.
One of the reasons I am holding off going to 17's......tires have way too much life left and I know I won't get near what they are worth if I sell. I'm thinking about just painting the stock wheels and hoping that holds me over. :cool:

The car should be paid off in about a year, at which point I plan on doing the bumpers, side rockers, and a rear tire carrier. It's a luxury trim, so I'll do a lift once the air suspension needs redoing, since it'll cost an arm and a leg anyways.
Maaaybe don’t wait until it fails haha… my airbags went 160k miles before they started randomly deflating and I replaced bags and lines. At 200k had it all removed to lift the truck, and was just blown away at the improved ride. I’ve had two GXs now with airbags and honestly, it’s a better truck without.

Here's the reasons you won't find (original) TRD wheels in any other size other than 17". 17" diameter is considered the best size by most all off road entities for several reasons:
  1. It's the smallest diameter rim to provide the tallest sidewall per tire diameter. Tire side walls provide more cushion in addition to your shocks and a much larger "foot print" when aired down for crawling, sand, snow, etc. You're also not as likely to pinch a side wall with a tall aspect ratio.
  2. Because of all the reasons listed above, and wanting the smallest diameter rim available, the next determining factor is how small a rim will fit over the disc brakes? and again that'll be 17".
  3. And finally, because they're so popular, generally the same size tire diameter in a 17" rim size will be cheaper than then the same diameter in any other rim size.
I remember when, for all the reasons above the most common size rim was 15", but that's when most all off road vehicles had drum brakes which allowed smaller rims.
In the future, who knows what the new best rim diameter will be? It usually boils down to what will fit.
I see the "new" rim size going towards 18" or more likely 20" because of all the electric trucks, especially like the Rivian which has a motor on each hub. A 20" rim is the minimum diameter that'll fit those trucks. So as E-trucks and E-off road vehicles become more popular, especially ones with hub motors, expect the off road rim diameter norms to increase in diameter and tires for those sizes to drop in price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom