2017 Turf & Surf Planning Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
Figured I'd get this started nice and early-like building off of the thread I started last year...

It is almost that time again for the annual Turf & Surf which is at the Oceano Dunes SVRA (for your gps). For me this year's theme is "Turf & Surf 2017: Returning in the same vehicle I left in". Let's see if we can't muster strong B&T presence!

The event itself is free and hosted by the Central Coast Land Cruisers . Check out there site, they sell shirts and other cool schwag which helps keep the dunes open and fund stuff. Note that shirts/schwag must be purchased by 10/15/2017. Plus this year, if you get a shirt you will be reminded of me and my poor 60! What could be better! Ha! Along with wheeling, anyone can surf, fish, run, swim, dig a hole, ride a fat-tire bike, get a tan or really anything else you want to do at the beach. Here are some tid bits of planning info:

• Typically we have left Friday morning and returned Sunday. Some of plan to leave Thursday the 9th and stay until Monday. Staying until Monday means we can take the inland trails and attend the lunch at the Pozo Saloon. If one departs by 9AM Monday, the odds of traffic are very low where Sunday mid-day traffic through SB and LA is common. One could also depart later Sunday if you are up for it, to each his or her own.
  • Without a trailer, the drive is about 5.5 hours. With a trailer it is about 6.5 and if your kids have to stop and pee a lot 7 hrs. It is best to leave by 9AM so you pass through LA and Santa Barbara by about 2PM. Any later and you will get stuck in Santa Barbara traffic which can be awful. Even later and you can add LA traffic for a wondrously long journey to the dunes. If you find yourself leaving later and can get through LA mid day, you can take I5 north and cut over on the 166 into Santa Maria to save a little time.
Map

• Getting onto the beach: Your GPS might take you in on Grand Ave which makes it a straight shot from 101 to the beach. Mine always takes me up to 4th and then doubles back so I usually ignore it and exit on Grand. Or, it might take you south on 1 to Pier Ave. Either will work and in each case go south to pole 6. Grand is easier to find but you spend more time driving 15 MPH on the beach. I prefer the Grand Ave entrance myself.

• I typically air down as soon as I pass through the ranger shack. You don't have to but a heavily loaded vehicle on stockish tires can have issues once you leave the hard pack.
  • Where to camp? Experiences says close to the water but above the high tide line which is identifiable by the ocean debris. Close do the dunes means loud struggling engines. Vehicles by the shore have to travel slowly and the waves drown a lot of that noise out which is nice. It is generally preferred to be just off of the main camp area so you don't have to deal with the party noise but don't have to walk a mile either to join the main festivities. We usually keep the restrooms in sight but take care not to be downwind (stinky!).
  • If people are coming in at night, we have our comm channels and cell phones to help guide you in.
  • This is probably my kid's favorite trip of the year. It is fun for the whole family.
  • Firewood is available on the way to and on the beach, no need to bring it and typically it is better to buy locally anyway. You can also buy water and other things from beach roving vendors.
  • Flags are required! I zip tie mine on to my front bumper. They can also be purchased on the beach if you forget yours or just don't have one.
  • We are next to the ocean so it can be cold at night. It can sunny and calm, sunny and windy, foggy at times, so read the weather report and plan accordingly.
  • Vehicles are usually used as wind breaks and so when setting up that is something to keep in your camping strategy. If we end up with a good turn out we might make a wagon circle which is nice for creating a place for the kids to play.
  • The event holds a "Parade of Lights" Saturday night. If you are up for it, bring your power inverters and whatever lights you want to string about your vehicle and feel free to take part!
Wheeling in the dunes is a blast. Getting stuck is rather common for some, not for others, but we always help each other. Either way this event is tons of fun for all and you will get to seem some really nice cruisers.

As we get closer maybe we can loosely plan some potluck grub and the likes.

Frank

Last edited:
We're in Fri - Mon.

i'm in. making reservations soon

Here is a local map. Grand leads right onto the beach and there is everything from shopping centers to vendors selling flags, wood, etc... I you take 1 south (indicated) you enter on Pier Ave farther south. Both entrances will get you there.

upload_2017-9-6_14-32-14.png

Here is a local map. Grand leads right onto the beach and there is everything from shopping centers to vendors selling flags, wood, etc... I you take 1 south (indicated) you enter on Pier Ave farther south. Both entrances will get you there.

View attachment 1532565
And then south down the beach for a bit to post #6.

The Central Coast is a great place to explore. My wife's father lives in Solvang so we often find ourselves exploring the area. Lot's to do and see.

I added some info to the description but here it is as well.

Last day to order shirts/schwag is 10/15.

There is a parade of lights Saturday night so if you are so inclined, dig up those power inverters and holiday lights to doll up your rig and take part.

Frank

What's up guys names Robert I was just checking out what the LA/OC guys have been up to since I have not been posting in years, anyways short story cause I don't want to board you, got my Lexo lifted a few months back and for some reason I can't stop building her up. Went to a tacoma and 4Runner gathering last month on the 28th at Barstow and me and the wifey had a great time. A few guys with 80s I'd talked with mention this turf and surf while I was there hopefully you guys are here as well. Would love to caravan and go with you local guys.

Hey Robert nice to meet you virtually. I'm sure there will be some of us that caravan, where will you be departing from and on what day?

we are an eating club with an off roading problem . lets start planning the grub.
Frank and i were thinking:
thursday : burgers
friday : 24 hr smoked brisket
saturday: turf'n'surf fajiats a la mojoe
sunday: ?? bbq chicken?

feel free to join us in camp lexusman450 (robert)

Last edited:
Anyone else (Zach) have ideas for the menu (Zach) ?

Lots of eggs and bacon.

Anyone else (Zach) have ideas for the menu (Zach) ?
As a skinny guy I like food. Yes. Smoked meats. Yes. We shall eat like kings on a beach. Yes.

All sounds good, let's see how the numbers look, we've got some time.

Just a quick reminder that 10/15 is the last day to pre order shirts and stuff. They will some stuff on site but usually not much.

Hey Robert nice to meet you virtually. I'm sure there will be some of us that caravan, where will you be departing from and on what day?

Nice meeting you as well "Mogwai". We are planning on leaving Friday morning or midday on the 10th from Long Beach I got my brother in law to go as well with his 4 runner, so hopefully we all can meet up somewhere and cross path maybe to a rest area or if not see you guys at base camp at the destination. Do you guys have a specific CB channel you communicate?

we are an eating club with an off roading problem . lets start planning the grub.
Frank and i were thinking:
thursday : burgers
friday : 24 hr smoked brisket
saturday: turf'n'surf fajiats a la mojoe
sunday: ?? bbq chicken?

feel free to join us in camp lexusman450 (robert)

Thank you Sir. Will be nice to finally see faces with the username on site. Will be bringing some grilling food as well, still trying to figure out what though. Do you have a spot on site where you guys normally pitch your tents?

So the main event area is by pole 6. My experience is that it is best to camp closer to the water but above the high tide line and not too close to any bathrooms (stinky!). If I can get my act together it would be nice to make a Beach & Toys flag to make us easy to find. Otherwise we can post up pics of camp when we role in Thursday to help folks locate us. If you show up at night we can use cell phones and/or CB's to help you navigate in.

Member contact info is in the private section.

Frank

the more of us that get together there the better we can circle the wagons.

Wow I can't believe time is flying by so fast and hopefully when we're there time will not fly as well. So when you guys camp out do you guys do some kind of "potluck" and if so how much do you guys prepare food wise?
Will I be able to just drop my gear and BBQ while not camping overnight?

So far the wife and I and my sis and bro in law will attend with there twin micro pit pups. We will not however camp but will stay local "hotel/motel". I wanted to get the feel of how things are and know from experience it gets cold at night before we go all in next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom