2016 Turf and Surf (11/11-13) Planning and Information Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
It is almost that time again for the Turf & Surf which is at the Oceano Dunes SVRA (for your gps)

The event itself is free and hosted by the Central Coast Land Cruisers . Along with wheeling, anyone can surf, fish, run, swim, dig a hole, or really anything else you want to do at the beach. Here are some tid bits of planning info:

• Typically we have left Friday morning and returned Sunday. However, it would be more optimal if your schedule can swing it to return Monday. That way you can take the inland trails and attend the lunch at the Pozo Saloon. If one departs by 9AM Monday, the odds of traffic are very low where Sunday traffic through SB and LA is common. One could also depart later Sunday if you are up for it, to each his or her own.
  • Without a trailer, the drive is about 5.5 hours. With a trailer it is about 6.5 and if your kids have to stop a lot 7 hrs. It is best to leave by 9AM Friday so you pass through LA and Santa Barbara by about 2PM. Any later and you will get stuck in Santa Barbara traffic which can be awful. If you find yourself leaving later and can get through LA mid day, you can take I5 north and cut over on the 166 into Santa Maria to save a little time.
Map

• Getting onto the beach: Your GPS might take you in on Grand Ave which makes it a straight shot from 101 to the beach. Mine always takes me up to 4th and then doubles back so I usually ignoe it and exit on Grand. Or, it might take you off a different exit to Pier Ave to the south. Either will work and in each case go south to pole 6. Grand is easier to find but you spend more time driving 15 MPH on the beach. I prefer the Grand Ave entrance myself.
  • The fee to camp is $10/night. Something new to me is that you can use Reserve America to reserve your rig and whatever you are towing. Of course there is an $8 fee for the privilege of using RA. As of 10/05/2016 there are 861 out of 999 "sites" available. You camp on the beach wherever you chose to stop, there are no actual sites, but maybe they are trying to manage the raw number of entrants. While it seems unlikely they'd sell out, this is a holiday weekend so it is probably a good idea to get a reservation in advance.
  • I typically air down as soon as I pass through the ranger shack.
  • Where to camp? Experiences says close to but above the high tide line which is identifiable by the ocean debris. Close do the dunes means loud struggling engines. Vehicles by the shore have to travel slowly and the waves drown a lot of that noise out which is nice. It is generally nice to be just off of the main camp area so you don't have to deal with the noise but don't have to walk a mile either. Keep the restrooms in sight but again to close and definitely not downwind.
  • If people are coming in at night, we have our comm channels and cell phones to help guide you in.
  • Firewood is available on the way to and on the beach, no need to bring it unless you want to do so.
  • Flags are required! I zip tie mine on to my front bumper. They can also be purchased on the beach if you forget yours or just don't have one.
  • We are next to the ocean so it can be cold at night. It can sunny and calm, sunny and windy, foggy at times, so read the weather report and plan accordingly.
  • Vehicles are usually used as wind breaks.
Wheeling in the dunes is a blast. Getting stuck is rather common for some. Either way this event is tones of fun for all and you will get to seem some really nice cruisers.

As we get closer maybe we can loosely plan some potluck grub and the likes.

Frank

Last edited:
Who all is going , and who wants to caravan , and when?

I am leaving friday, i think 9-10am would be ideal.

I would definitely say be driving north Friday morning no later than 9AM at least for those of us in San Diego. You want to be passed Santa Barbara by 2PM if at all possible to avoid traffic. That whole area north of LA through Camarillo is awful on a Friday afternoon.

I am open to anyone who wants to meet at my house. I am right off of I15 by Lake Hodges and so have a somewhat convenient place to launch. Another thing we sometimes do are rolling starts where, for example, I might wait on the side of the on ramp for the group to go by and then jump in line.

Any interest in pot lucking any of the nights? Maybe Saturday since most will probably be there that night?

FYI, I can't make tomorrow's meeting due to work travel so post up whatever is decided upon and I will ... roll with it.

Frank

How many are returning Sunday vs. Monday?

Im going to try to get Monday off .

MOJO ideas:
Fajitas de turf'n'surf :steak and shrimp

I'll be there with Wife and two boys. Our plan is to leave Friday early and come back Sunday afternoon/evening. Can discuss this evening, I plan on going to the evening.

On board for pot luck either of both days.

Sounds like the kids will have lots of other kids to play with. I am bringing my two boys as well.

I'm down with fajitas. Another option I'll throw out is that one of my "other" hobbies is smoking meat. Could smoke a large pork shoulder for pulled pork, or a couple tri-tips. I normally vacuum seal and bring with precooked so it's easier once at camp just to heat and serve. You guys let me know though, could also do ribs, chicken, etc...

I'm down with fajitas. Another option I'll throw out is that one of my "other" hobbies is smoking meat. Could smoke a large pork shoulder for pulled pork, or a couple tri-tips. I normally vacuum seal and bring with precooked so it's easier once at camp just to heat and serve. You guys let me know though, could also do ribs, chicken, etc...

Are you staying Sunday night ? Or could we do a brisket or the like on friday night ?

We're heading back Sunday, could def do something Fri and Sat nights though. But brisket eh... happy to smoke one but we'd have to decide now since I'd have to go get one, prep it, and it takes almost a full day (or night) to cook. How many people are confirmed btw?

Elripster (2 adults, 2 kids)

It looks like we are going to have great weather up there this weekend.

Myself plus mini-me.

If you do brisket Friday night , I'll cover you for fajitas Saturday

Also, kids can have burgers friday. Thay have no taste buds anyway. Puttin ketchup in steak n junk .

Alright I'm on the brisket for Friday and will pickup a large pre-made Caesar salad from Costco. Might also throw in some corn bread depending how aggressive I feel tomorrow. Weather does look spectacular... lucky us.

Well as I expected I am a game day decision. My roofing contractor is not finished with work, and I do not want to leave him with my wife to deal with. If I can make it I'll let you all know. Carl

I know we were only talking about shared dinners, but I can't resist. Since I'll be firing up the smoker anyway I'll be doing some pulled pork, but with a twist since we'll already be having "bbq" on Friday. Jamaican jerk style. There will be enough for whoever wants it for lunch/late night/all day long eats on Sat. It's often spicy, so kids may/may not like it just FYI.

This is going to be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom