2016 Turf and Surf (11/11-13) Planning and Information Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I hope you boys (and girls) come hungry.

IMG_20161110_082905.jpg

I will post my address in the private section but anyone who wants to meet at my place with plans to leave at 9AM is welcome to caravan.

Phulcrum, wanna do a 9:30AM rolling start at the 76 on ramp?

The weather is perfect in cruiser paradise.

I hope you all got back ok yesterday, we didn't get home until nearly 7PM so I can only imagine how long your day was. Great times though. The pics I took (and a few vids) can be found here: https://goo.gl/photos/Grn3jXsGvPkPXAFq9

Tim dropped me and boys off at like 9:30 so I know he got in later. We were both exhausted.

So, the high points of the trip were:

- Mogwai's amazing smoked meatness. It was just insanely delicious.
- Time with the kids
- Time with my dad
- Good times with everyone.

Unfortunately, for me, the trip ended, well.... rather badly. It could have ended up much worse, all human's escaped unscathed, but the cruiser doesn't have a straight panel on it.

Pismo 2016 - End Of The 60 by Frank Falcone

The beginning:
20161111_084536_zps7rxvn16y.jpg

The end.

20161113_141706_zpsjfsbkeug.jpg

How it happened:

My dad and I went night wheeling. The boys were asleep at camp with one of the other mothers there. Typically I follow Phulcrum who has amazing lights that wrap around his roof rack. I didn't realize how much I rely on other truck's lights. The cruiser's 31 year old roundies don't illuminate very well. Anyway, we met up with another cruiser, I was in the middle of the pack where I always run because it's generally safer and I can use the trucks ahead and behind to light the way. Well, the order got changed up, I was in the middle but Tim was in the back of the pack. The lead truck came over a rise that was up against a fence to the left that leaned to the right. He was in a super charged 80 series, though I didn't realize that. He yelled over the CB to "Cut left, Cut left". So, I did, I punched it and cut left to hold my line. Well my old engine started to bog and I struggled to hold my line . The lead truck made it look easy and quickly got ahead of me so there went the light. What I couldn't see very well was a very vertical drop off to the right into which I started sliding. I felt the truck tipping, I cranked the wheel to lock left, kept it floored so hard I think bent the pedal but she slid more and got very side ways. I was trying to get the back end to swing around which would have at just left me stuck where I could get winched. She got really sideways, I backed off power and hoped that she'd lodge in the sand, but instead starts to slowly slide then tip. Dad and I just hunkered down and rolled a few times. It was a slow roll so we knew what we were in for. Each hit we were like "ooo, oh.. .ahh..." not because we were hurt but for the truck. We crawled out and surveyed the scene. All tires were flat, no panels were left unscathed. Anyway, we got back to camp around 3AM. I was on the verge of tears most of yesterday. I put so much into that truck.

In hindsight, short of just not going that way at all, cutting right would have left me stuck at the bottom of a bowl but on my wheels. But, alas I had one shot at this and I cut left. Oh well, time to move on.

Now I have to figure out what to do with it. It's parked at my father in law's place in Solvang for the time being. It runs fine but the body is trashed. I don't have space or a use for a trail only truck so I will probably try to sell it outright or part it out to fund its replacement.

See you all at the next meeting!

Frank

It sure is. Thankfully, wearing a seatbelts and keeping hands in the truck goes a long way to remaining unhurt in accidents.

Slow rolls like this get every damn panel in the truck so it looks like it was a really bad roll when it wasn't actually that bad from the perspective of the occupant.

Last edited:
I just don't think I can take on a body swap. The truck will be down until like next summer. It would be that or I get a nice cruiser with a blown engine, for example, and swap all of my go parts into it which is also a daunting task.

I do have some very interested folks PM'ing me. I think it would make an excellent trail rig for someone. Weld on a-pillars, install a windshield, put a soft top on it, roll cage, and have a I-don't-care-about-dents kind of blast with it.

For me, trying to see past the emotional aspects, an 80 makes a lot more sense as a family wheeler and as a 3rd vehicle when my EV Spark is to small or just can't go far enough for a given trip.

Frank

A bit of good news. All those years ago we put comprehensive coverage on the cruiser mostly because one can darn near steal it with a paperclip. It turns out, this is covered. Stay tuned...

After they inspected it, they decided it is not covered due to it being off roading, which I told them in the first place. Oh well...

Damn insurance companies.

I know right!

wow!!! glad everyone was alright, sorry about the cruiser. Sounds like time for an 80 or 100.

Yep, and 80 would do nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom