2016 Cruise Moab Kokopelli Expedtion team thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi everyone, I am Richard and this will be my second CRuise Moab. Last year I did the San Rafael swell with Kurt Williams leading and it was great so I am really excited for another overnighter. I am coming from Seattle and looking forward to some great weather. I have one of the 60's and it is also a diesel, so I guess I will bring my own extra fuel. I have owned this truck 22 years and love the 12HT diesel, but would love some bigger gears and tires. See you all soon. This is out in the mountains near our house.

image.jpeg

Hi everyone, I am Richard and this will be my second CRuise Moab. Last year I did the San Rafael swell with Kurt Williams leading and it was great so I am really excited for another overnighter. I am coming from Seattle and looking forward to some great weather. I have one of the 60's and it is also a diesel, so I guess I will bring my own extra fuel. I have owned this truck 22 years and love the 12HT diesel, but would love some bigger gears and tires. See you all soon. This is out in the mountains near our house.

View attachment 1240316
Hi RIchard, should be OK with stock gears.
Last year my 80 made the trip with stock gears and 33" tires. I have changed to 4 88 gears & will note the benefits this year.

Vince

Last edited:

View attachment 1240316

You and Dan S should have plenty to talk about. He's got diesel Land Cruisers laying around his house like kids toys.

Also, for you 80 owners..... here is an article we published last year about knuckle studs. We did this precisely because of what happed to us on the Kokopelli. Toyota Trails - November/December 2015 Issue

There is also a Brokapelli article in that same issue. If your TLCA membership is not up to date, please renew it prior to CM. You'll probably get an email reminder anyway.

Hi Everyone I'm Sarah. I'm looking forward to this adventure. I will be bringing my father Ken(87yrs) with me. My turn to share the road with him. I will be driving my 80. 35" tires, 6" lift, 529 gears(love my gears), lots of body armor. I've been doing Cruise Moab since 2001. With my own rig since 2008.
bfe slow 1.JPG

Hey Sarah! Amanda is ecstatic that you will be on this run! And I better make sure I bring you your sticker I promised, was it purple or pink you wanted?

This is shaping up to be another great trip! We are only 19 days away from hitting the trail..... it's sneaking up fast.

As mentioned previously, we will be doing a potluck style dinner on Tuesday night. We will also have a nice campfire that night as well. Please bring a dish to share and at least 1 bundle of firewood. I will provide breakfast

We have a large storm moving into Colorado tonight and it will dump lots of rain and heavy snow here in the Centennial State. There is always a chance that we'll see more rain before the Koko trip. The first part of the trail is covered with a bentonite-like clay that is great when dry, but slicker than ice when wet. It's dangerous to just have your vehicle sitting on it as it can just start sliding away...... that's really how slick it is. The bonus is that it soaks up water and dries quickly. As long as it's not raining on Tuesday morning, we should be fine. If it is raining, we'll go up the highway a few miles and rejoin the trail beyond the dangerous canyon section.

Lastly, if your TLCA membership is going to expire soon, please renew. You get a sweet magazine with your membership too... ;)
JOIN | TLCA

I don't know about the magazine, it's getting very redundant. All I ever see in it is a clapped out 74 red fj40 that looks like it might be broken down in all the photos.

Last edited:
I don't know about the magazine, it's getting very redundant. All I ever see in it is a clapped out 74 red fj40 that looks like it might be broken down in all the photos.

I sense a touch of jealousy... Maybe you should get a paint job..

OTE="aegustafson, post: 10317000, member: 56633"]I heard it was a different kind of "job" that got you all of those pictures.[/QUOTE]
Probably going to put a 80 between the two 40s so they don't Knock each others wheels off.

20150430_114607.jpg
Very low blow!
Anders, plus your bad Ass fj40 will need to attend trail sensitivity training by "Has your tie rod been kick in the dirt today Inc."

Seeing the pic of Anders wearing his girlfriend's Buff reminded me to also add that info.

I always carry a few Fishmasks or Buffs with me on this route. You'll want something to keep the sun off your face, head and neck as well as help keep the dust out of your mouth. We're hoping for weather similar to last year, which will require ample amounts of sunscreen as well. Although, we're at 18" of heavy snow right now in Denver and it's still falling.

The first sign of this gremlin was an intermittent short that at first was not reproducible. Dash gauges would flutter and indicator lights would blink. This occurred twice before the first FL blew. In both cases, I was in 4L making me think the Center Diff switch/relay/actuator might be suspect. Turns out that the added torque in 4L under hard acceleration would just bring the EGR pipe and harness together.

Bottom line is for 80 owners to check that harness to make sure it's not contacting the EGR pipe. Once you know where to look, it is very evident if the insulation is failing. For mine, I could see discoloration on the pipe from 5 feet away -- once I know where to look! So, use lots of thermal wrap and tie it back, away from that hot pipe.

Update 4/17: Cliff (@Skidoo ) and I replaced the engine wire harness. It was fun getting intimate with my cruiser! ;) I swear it runs better now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom