2015 lx570 suddenly died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2015 lx570 suddenly died this morning after misfiring for couple of minutes then rattling noise. Now the situation is as you will see in this Video clip. Any ideas?

1. I would stop trying to start it, the sound you hear is not getting cheaper the more you hear it.

2. Just spitballing here but valve spring comes to mind. Especially with the misfire codes preceding this event, use the search feature to track down a definitive thread on here pertaining to broken valve spring.

I hope I’m wrong.

Yep. Stop trying to start it. Pull the valve covers and have a look around..

1. I would stop trying to start it, the sound you hear is not getting cheaper the more you hear it.

2. Just spitballing here but valve spring comes to mind. Especially with the misfire codes preceding this event, use the search feature to LP track down a definitive thread on here pertaining to broken valve spring.

I hope I’m wrong.
Thanks Artie, what is the repair protocol in this case? What I would have to replace?

Thanks Artie, what is the repair protocol in this case? What I would have to replace?
I’d go through the thread that @chriscosta416 just shared. If it is a valve spring you are anywhere between valve spring and complete engine rebuild.

Pull the valve covers and look at the springs, it would be pretty obvious, then a bore scope in the offending cylinder.

But again, I could be wrong and I hope I am.

The only code I got was P1604, today the mechanic told me that exhaust is full of fuel

I’d go through the thread that @chriscosta416 just shared. If it is a valve spring you are anywhere between valve spring and complete engine rebuild.

Pull the valve covers and look at the springs, it would be pretty obvious, then a bore scope in the offending cylinder.

But again, I could be wrong and I hope I am.

You are right Artie, Check this out

That really sucks, did it happen when you were driving on just starting the car up? Do you tow or offroad often?
It indeed sucks, it happened while I was driving. I do sand duning and bashing sometimes.

Last edited:
Awe man, I hate that for you! What is your plan moving forward?
They asked me to sleeve the scratched bore and then completely rebuild keeping only other side head and old connecting rods. Is that enough for this engine?
100846BE-7384-412C-8C0B-ECD21E7FC30E.jpeg
D0B93E31-5267-46E1-B3BB-5BADF3D77FD5.jpeg
5E02E52C-3601-4CB0-AC34-54C7669F6D21.jpeg

They asked me to sleeve the scratched bore and then completely rebuild keeping only other side head and old connecting rods. Is that enough for this engine?View attachment 3347329View attachment 3347330View attachment 3347331
I doubt I’m qualified to tell you what should be done, especially just from a couple pictures… I’m sure wiser cruiser heads on this forum will have a lot to say about this situation and probably be of more help than I could be.

That being said, it looks like you got lucky based on what I’m seeing in these pictures. The valve didn’t fall into the combustion chamber, this likely saved you from replacing the block.

As for the rest, it sounds like they have a solid plan based on what they are seeing. Your other head is likely fine but I’d be replacing all the springs and I’d freshen up as much as I could on the rest: new bearings, timing components, oil pump, water pump, etc…. This is a big job and, if it were me, I’d want to make sure I’m not going back in there again for as long as possible. Everyone’s budget is different so get a detailed plan of attack and act accordingly.

Again, there are a few owners in this thread that have been down this road before and I’d be listening to them over me any day.

I doubt I’m qualified to tell you what should be done, especially just from a couple pictures… I’m sure wiser cruiser heads on this forum will have a lot to say about this situation and probably be of more help than I could be.

That being said, it looks like you got lucky based on what I’m seeing in these pictures. The valve didn’t fall into the combustion chamber, this likely saved you from replacing the block.

As for the rest, it sounds like they have a solid plan based on what they are seeing. Your other head is likely fine but I’d be replacing all the springs and I’d freshen up as much as I could on the rest: new bearings, timing components, oil pump, water pump, etc…. This is a big job and, if it were me, I’d want to make sure I’m not going back in there again for as long as possible. Everyone’s budget is different so get a detailed plan of attack and act accordingly.

Again, there are a few owners in this thread that have been down this road before and I’d be listening to them over me any day.
The valve did fall into the chamber and the stem broke off and it basically bounced around smashing the piston, head, and scratching the cylinder bore. Is it repairable? Most likely yes. Is it worth it? That depends on the expected bill to rebuild everything. It may be a lot cheaper and simpler to just swap in a relatively low mileage used engine from a Tundra.

Dear all,

My lx570 engine was rebuilt and now it is running fine but a week ago I started to hear a strange sound at 1000 rpm. I went back to the garage, they assured me the engine is normal. here is a link to a short video:

Another video with a more clear sound

any thoughts what it might be? coz I'm scared to break the engine again. engine performance looks OK and coolant temperature is always below 91 C.

Last edited:
That sure sounds like a bottom end knock or piston slap, and not the typical valve train tick the 3UR makes. And it does sound fairly alarming since these engines don’t tend to make that noise in normal operation. Does the sound go away if the engine is fully warmed up?

My old 2004 Silverado had the infamous piston slap on cold startup that sounded just like that until the engine was fully warmed up. The difference being, there was a little play in the cylinder sleeve and the piston slapping the side wall on the start of the upstroke due to a short piston skirt and loose tolerances. I’m wondering if they bored out the piston sleeve and did not put in a bigger piston to accommodate the different piston wall width?

Does the rebuilt engine have a warranty? Do you know what kind of work went into rebuilding the engine?

I honestly haven’t seen many people rebuild the 3UR since it’s such a stout engine and if it does go, people tend to swap in a lightly used one that hasn’t been opened from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom