2015 GX 460 San Diego Weekender Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to the community for all of the insights that have been provided to guide my mild “weekender” build.

I’m not handy or very knowledgeable with vehicle stuff and I appreciate what I’ve learned here.

I made the transition from a 2019 Volvo Cross Country to a GX 460 for more room and functionality for me, my dog, and two young sons. Primary use is tooling around town, surfing / beach excursions, and camping with some use of fire roads.

I found a 2015 GX 460 Premium in Agate Fire Pearl (brown) with 17k miles and perfect service history at the local CarMax for $38k (which was about $10k less than newer years with more miles).

Here are a couple pics of when i
D1E7A0DB-8AEE-49F6-85F6-C6B7A06B9688.jpeg

4168BAD8-9FA9-4556-B844-5DA7E1BEFB5A.jpeg
42B26CBE-4827-4BC8-89A1-DC5E9901F490.jpeg

My local shop (SD Truck Shop) added the following:

- Bilstein 6112 front / 5100 rear
- Built right UCA
- 17” Fuel Nitro in gunmetal
-Toyo Open Country AT3 285/70R/17
-2.5” lift

So far, so good — no rubbing, very little road noise and it drives / handles significantly better on road.

I have a Prinsu roof rack on order, and I’m considering a rear ladder by NashFab, RTT, pedal commander, awning, and chrome delete next.

An awning is a no-brainer but I’m not sure which I should be focused on as reviews are mixed. Any preferences on hard case vs soft or recommendations for specific awnings that have worked well? I like the look of the hard case awnings (e.g. the black touring awning by ARB) but they seem like they be difficult to use for one person.

Here are a couple pics of current state:

5E970EC3-4524-4960-A070-953F9B1AF19E.jpeg

520DCE76-93CD-4563-982C-F5313390D0F0.jpeg

Congrats and off to a nice start!

2015 with only 17k miles?! Nice find! Don't think I've seen that exterior color before, at least around me, looks good.

Re awnings, I've been happy with my awning from ironman, you can see photos of it set up on my ride here. The materials seem to be good quality, and the set up is relatively easy. Plus the price is right.

2015 with only 17k miles?! Nice find! Don't think I've seen that exterior color before, at least around me, looks good.

I have it on my '12. It ran from '12-'20 but it is one of the rarer colors.

Re awnings, I've been happy with my awning from ironman, you can see photos of it set up on my ride here. The materials seem to be good quality, and the set up is relatively easy. Plus the price is right.
Thanks for the info! Yes I'm digging the color -- it appears very differently whether you are in direct sunlight or not, and whether the truck is dirty or not. On that note, I'm lazy when it comes to washing my vehicles and the good news is that it looks just fine dirty! I also saw somewhere on this forum that this color is only on 3% of GXs.

Regarding the awning, does your soft cover contribute much wind noise on the road?

Thanks for the info! Yes I'm digging the color -- it appears very differently whether you are in direct sunlight or not, and whether the truck is dirty or not. On that note, I'm lazy when it comes to washing my vehicles and the good news is that it looks just fine dirty! I also saw somewhere on this forum that this color is only on 3% of GXs.

Regarding the awning, does your soft cover contribute much wind noise on the road?
Have used a few times, including at highway speed and no discernable noise above road noise.

Nice Rig! Nice color.

You say no rubbing with the 285/70/17, did you do any mods/heat gun to your fender liner? That is awesome if the 2.5" lift does the trick. I am still on the fence with my tire size because of the dreaded rubbing. Thanks!

Nice Rig! Nice color.

You say no rubbing with the 285/70/17, did you do any mods/heat gun to your fender liner? That is awesome if the 2.5" lift does the trick. I am still on the fence with my tire size because of the dreaded rubbing. Thanks!
Thanks! There was absolutely some minor body modification required. Some cutting and molding by the shop. I believe it’s pretty much standard for this type of thing.

Congrats! That's an awesome deal and a great list of mods! I'm slowly compiling a mod list for my weekend build. This would be a good reference.

Parts are so friggin delayed right now! I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for a Prinsu roof rack and they just notified me it will be an additional 5 weeks… NashFab ladder 7 weeks… even damn floor mats (Maxpider 3D Kagu — no clue why they would name anything like that btw) are literally 2 months from AutoAnything.com while everyone else is sold out.

Yep I realize there are bigger things to complain about besides delayed shipping but you don’t want to hear about my ex-wife!

On a positive note, I ordered an awning from Northridge 4x4 yesterday and it shipped today! Amazing. (ARB Black Touring hard case 8.5’ x 8.5’). Now if I just had a place to mount it…

Congrats! That's an awesome deal and a great list of mods! I'm slowly compiling a mod list for my weekend build. This would be a good reference.
Pics or it didn’t happen! Would love to know what you’re considering.

Pics or it didn’t happen! Would love to know what you’re considering.
:p It's still bone stock ( just got it 2 weeks ago 2019 premium Starfire pearl white on oem 18" black rims). Hence I'm compiling a list of future / soon-to-be mods.
At the moment, I'm considering 17" TRD pro wheels with BFG KO2 or Falken Wildpeaks 275r70, some rock sliders, possibly a lift.

:p It's still bone stock ( just got it 2 weeks ago 2019 premium Starfire pearl white on oem 18" black rims). Hence I'm compiling a list of future / soon-to-be mods.
At the moment, I'm considering 17" TRD pro wheels with BFG KO2 or Falken Wildpeaks 275r70, some rock sliders, possibly a lift.
2 weeks and you haven't done anything yet???
Heck, in 2 weeks time I already put $20k into building it into an overlander, did the Alcan highway, Rubicon, Moab and a quick jaunt down to Central America to surf Costa Rica and back!!! What's taking you so long??? :rofl::p

2 weeks and you haven't done anything yet???
Heck, in 2 weeks time I already put $20k into building it into an overlander, did the Alcan highway, Rubicon, Moab and a quick jaunt down to Central America to surf Costa Rica and back!!! What's taking you so long??? :rofl::p
yeah, I'm a slowpoke. :bag:. It's my first overland rig. I was into the go-fast mods over a decade ago. Just learning the ropes on this one. :chicken:

Reactions: r2m
yeah, I'm a slowpoke. :bag:. It's my first overland rig. I was into the go-fast mods over a decade ago. Just learning the ropes on this one. :chicken:
Yep, I've been down that speeding highway too with a couple Porsche's, and hot rods.
Nice thing about going the off road route is that you're a whole lot less likely for tickets!! 👍
Albeit, I am contemplating another sports car again... I need a commuter (something fun) to help keep the miles down on my rig.

Parts are so friggin delayed right now! I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for a Prinsu roof rack and they just notified me it will be an additional 5 weeks… NashFab ladder 7 weeks… even damn floor mats (Maxpider 3D Kagu — no clue why they would name anything like that btw) are literally 2 months from AutoAnything.com while everyone else is sold out.

Yep I realize there are bigger things to complain about besides delayed shipping but you don’t want to hear about my ex-wife!

On a positive note, I ordered an awning from Northridge 4x4 yesterday and it shipped today! Amazing. (ARB Black Touring hard case 8.5’ x 8.5’). Now if I just had a place to mount it…
It's been a while, so I hope the parts have come in lol

Got any updated pics? I love the color!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom