2007 6mt 140k mile FJ possible issues.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am looking at buying this truck and I was put off by a few things, which I figured I would ask the experts about.

overall the fj is in fantastic condition, runs and drives great for the most part. However, the awd seems to be binding during sharp turns. I confirmed nothing was locked and the “4wd shifter handle” sorry don’t know the proper name, was in the piper left forward position and no 4wd light were on. The binding happened in forward and reverse trying to pull out of a parking spot as well as a u-turn. There was no audible whine from the front diff or transfer case.

The other issue is the clutch seems relatively fine, not worn out, but it had very little feeling or feedback. It was very difficult to learn the bite point and shift smoothly. It was so bad that I stalled it. For reference I daily a 2012 mustang gt 6 speed manual. So I am pretty proficient with manuals. Yes it’s a different animal but this was like trying to shift a transmission filled with melted nacho cheese. Not that the tranny felt bad, it felt solid, but the clutch feel was awful.

The final thing is the shifter itself. Seems it needs a new bushing. It has as much play in gear as it does in neutral.

So, what do you guys think? Problems? Solutions? should I pass on it? I am trading my Car for it, so I will be my new daily.

the “4wd shifter handle” sorry don’t know the proper name, was in the piper left forward position and no 4wd light were on.
It´s 4HI locked then and of course it is binding while turning, the center lock light should be on then. Pull the lever all back and there should be any binding then.

The other issue is the clutch seems relatively fine, not worn out, but it had very little feeling or feedback.

That was my experience driving a colleague's manual FJ, with low miles, and I didn't like it. On this model my preference is the automatic.

It´s 4HI locked then and of course it is binding while turning, the center lock light should be on then. Pull the lever all back and there should be any binding then.

isnt 4h locked when you pull the lever back?

No locked is forward and back is unlocked all the way right and forward is low locked

I thought the manual FJ cruiser was 4wd full time unlike the automatic which can be 2wd or 4wd? Sorry don't have that knowledge base for these manual versions. If it's full time 4x4 then it's going to bind/bite a little on super sharp turns.

I thought the manual FJ cruiser was 4wd full time unlike the automatic which can be 2wd or 4wd? Sorry don't have that knowledge base for these manual versions. If it's full time 4x4 then it's going to bind/bite a little on super sharp turns.

The manual is full time with a Torsen center diff. It never seems to lock or bite on tight turns until you lock the transfer case. The Torsen allows it to be friendly on the street. I think the power split is 60/40 stock. You can change it slightly by using different lube in the transfer case.

I barely even notice some slight binding with my 6MT. Usually backing up with the steering wheel at full lock. About what I would expect with a LS front diff and a LS transfer case. It's possible the truck in question has the wrong oil in the axles/TC.

I barely even notice some slight binding with my 6MT. Usually backing up with the steering wheel at full lock. About what I would expect with a LS front diff and a LS transfer case. It's possible the truck in question has the wrong oil in the axles/TC.
There is no limited slip lock anywhere. So no special oil needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom