2004 LX470 Seat Control Switch Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone else have their seat controls top working?

It's not the seat motor, but the switch seems like it's no longer working.

In particular, the front seat bottom does not go down anyway; it's as if the switch is somehow stuck?

When I push up on it, I still get a response, but it's already at it's highest position, as it no longer goes down.

Anything I can do to fix? Any instructions?

Thank you very much.

I have the same exact problem with my ‘04.

Hopefully a Guru will answer.

There is a small plastic pin inside the switch that often breaks.

I had the same thing in my lx470 when I bought in 2015

What I did to fix it:

1. Take the switch off the seat and disassemble it.

The broken pieces should be still in the switch. Dont discard those as the will be used to create a replacement

2. With a Dremel or small saw cut a nail with the same width/circumference to length

3 Round out one edge with sand paper or Dremel to remove any sharp edges. It will make sense once you see the old piece.

4. Apply dielectric or lithium grease to the pivot edge

5. Reassemble and install

I've had no issues since and my seat moves regularly

It sounds more difficult than it actually is. One :banana: tops. good luck.

Thank you! To get to the switch, do you have to remove the seat? What are steps to get to it?

I did not remove the front seat the switch is held in place from the back of the side panel.

I simply removed the side plastic panel holding the switch. It was a while ago so 3? screws I believe.

Just don't go gorilla on it and you'll be fine.

I'll post back if I can fine any pictures

Thanks LonghornLX! This is fantastic. I will take pictures. No need to hunt for them. I really appreciate your advice and how to guide.

Thank you so very much, LonghornLX! Really appreciate it as well.

Would really like to get this done...

TLCJC:

Might you be looking to tackling this sooner than later?

Pics would be wonderful.

Happy Labor Day ahead to all! :)

changed my seat switch out a couple of years ago on my '03 - it was like $130 at the time - After removing the switch it was apparent I could have repaired the old one, but since I had the new one on hand it was installed - 1-2 banana job. sorry no pics...

Hi all, Any updates? Any pics to share? Much thanks and my best! :)

Just wanted to bump this again; kindly advise.

Best regards.

Would love to know if anyone has pictures of this process? I’m a first time poster and new owner of an ‘04 LX470 (105k miles :) )....driver’s seat works normal except for the bottom height adjustment....when I try to raise or lower the seat it makes a very faint noise like it recognizes I’m initiating a move, but no movement occurs. Trying to diagnose and resolve as easily as possible!

Thanks in advance...
Dylan

Hey Dylan welcome to the club, glad you're here.

Unfortunately pics weren't found.

My situation also slightly different than what you are describing.

My chairs motors were strong like bull. The failure was mechanical (break of a very small, aged plastic rod/stick the switch pivots on to engage the motors) and very specific to the switch itself.

The effect was the chair adjusted in one direction but not adjust back.

While it may sound intimidating getting the switch out is not terrible just don't go crazy yanking on aged plastic and you'll have it out quickly.

Maybe the fsm has some blow out of the screws to remove the panels on the bottom of the chair?

Good luck

Photos would be wonderful. Still having this problem. Thank you all and happy motoring! :)

Just had to deal with this so thought I’d add a pic for future reference. The pic shows the broken pin, an intact pin taken from one of the other switches, a pin that I made, and the spring and switch lever. the pointed end of the pin goes into the spring, and then they both go into the switch lever. I bought some 2.5 mm brass rod and chucked it up in a drill to do the shaping.
03662D21-3317-498A-BABF-43E77D56C88B.jpeg

I ran into this issue (seat full “high”, with broken switch) in our 06 LX, on a quick unplanned road trip with my son.

Unfortunately I had replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago, and hadn’t gotten around to resetting the presets 🤬

My son is ~5” shorter than I am, and he didn’t really mind/notice so much. It drove me nuts. I fiddled with it, with some improvised tools, once we reached our destination, but was unsuccessful in resolving it with what I had.

I wondered if the iCarsoft OBD2 tool, that I had tossed into the vehicle before we left, might have a CAN bus test mode that would let me adjust height w/o using the buttons? Nope! 💩

Ordered a replacement switch, and will rebuild the broken switch as a spare.

Once we got home, I tried to use Techstream to accomplish the same trick that I had tried with iCarsoft… Success! I was able to adjust the seat, and set acceptable preset seat positions, while I wait for the new switch to arrive 😁

Thank You @LonghornLX and @Rebus Knebus. I just fixed my seat using this method. I didn't have a Dremel or similar tool so I just took the broken white plastic piece and superglued it. Works great. FYI, that plastic piece is very very tiny. Interesting engineering.

I used a couple of bits from a cheap Harbor Freight Dremel type tool to replace the pins. I just cut them to length and the narrow end was perfect to fit the spring. I rounded off the larger end for the pivoting surface. These made for a great substitute for the broken plastic pins and the seat is working perfectly.

Thanks to the group for the awesome info!!

Howdy. My driver seat in my 04 LX470 is stuck in the down the position. I can hear the motor want to engage when I press up but nothing happens. Does this sound like a switch problem like the fix above? Or should I try an all new switch? If new switch any links to them?
Thanks in advance!!

Howdy. My driver seat in my 04 LX470 is stuck in the down the position. I can hear the motor want to engage when I press up but nothing happens. Does this sound like a switch problem like the fix above? Or should I try an all new switch? If new switch any links to them?
Thanks in advance!!
yes, you just hear a click but the seat doesn't move. Pretty easy to take it off and check. I am pretty sure your issue is the same.

Hey there. Just wanted to share my experience with this and how I fixed it. I went through the process of making new pins as recommended. Put it all together and the switches would work. I looked at it for a while and decided to just omit the pins altogether. It now works fine. I’m sure my pins were not a perfect match for the originals, but it works perfectly without them. Anyway, I thought I’d share since this is a much easier solution than turning new pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom