2004 4WD engagement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders!

We just bought our son a 2004 4runner with the V8 package and 4wd. I am more of a "lock the hubs" guy and my rig is an '88 fj62. We have snow in the forecast and want to see how his truck does.

How do you engage 4wd High and 4wd low on the truck? The knob on the dash has 4H and 4L, and it is always sitting in the 4H position. Is that correct? Also, when we put it in 4L, the dash blinks and there is a beeping sound.

There is also the traction control button on the left side of the steering wheel (below the gauges), and when pressed, it looks like it is doing something, and I can feel the wheels chirping/digging a bit in parking lots.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance, new to the electronic 4wd scene.

Joel

The truck is full time 4wd, but to put the truck in 4L put it in neutral first then switch it over to 4L w the knob. You should also have a center diff lock button as well near the Trac button IF you don’t let me know and I can walk you through how to install bc you MAY have the rare ones that it didn’t come standard.... but you can install easily! Anyway hope this helps!

The truck is full time 4wd, but to put the truck in 4L put it in neutral first then switch it over to 4L w the knob. You should also have a center diff lock button as well near the Trac button IF you don’t let me know and I can walk you through how to install bc you MAY have the rare ones that it didn’t come standard.... but you can install easily! Anyway hope this helps!
That's awesome. I just read up on it a bit (good first step) and since I have the 4.7 V8 I have full time, like you said. I should be good to go in 4 High around town in the snow, even though the tires are almost bald. LOL

thanks for the quick response! I am driving it right now since my fj62 is in the shop getting a 5.3 swap

That's awesome. I just read up on it a bit (good first step) and since I have the 4.7 V8 I have full time, like you said. I should be good to go in 4 High around town in the snow, even though the tires are almost bald. LOL

thanks for the quick response! I am driving it right now since my fj62 is in the shop getting a 5.3 swap

honestly I’ve driven my 4R in 4H in almost everything, sand dunes, snow, mudding, only time I ever needed 4L is crawling! I drive an 80 too with 3x lockers and I have to say the 4R can get in almost 90% of the trouble and the v8 is bomb proof! Enjoy her!

honestly I’ve driven my 4R in 4H in almost everything, sand dunes, snow, mudding, only time I ever needed 4L is crawling! I drive an 80 too with 3x lockers and I have to say the 4R can get in almost 90% of the trouble and the v8 is bomb proof! Enjoy her!

thanks!~ We got it for a good price, and it does have 275,000 miles, but after we did the timing belt/water pump and a front wheel bearing ($$$), it's running like a champ.

Wait you can install a switch for that? I have the 05 4runner v6 sport edition that doesn't come with a VSC off button, I have to lock the diff AND hold it down for the VSC off to turn on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom