2003 President Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends...

I am new to this board and felt it was appropriate that I introduce myself... Tony Twiddy and d#mn glad to meet ya!

I'm very active with regards to my mini trucks, cruisers, my local club and TLCA. So much so, that I took the advice from a few friends and accepted my nomination as TLCA President.

I am also very happy to have found my way to Woody's BB and plan to be very active and involved.

Here is my bio that I submitted when nominated, I believe every will be as surprised as I was to see how many things we agree upon with regards to 'turning around TLCA'.

While most Bio’s submitted seem to reiterate that the individual does engage in the sport of off roading, I thought I would take another approach, one which I hope will express to you my ability to perform the job as President and define the direction I would endeavor to take the association over the next two years.

My name is Anthony R. Twiddy but my friends call me Tony. I live in Healdsburg with my wife Cindy and our two daughters, Sheryl and Kate. I work for a bankrupt CA utility as an IT professional. My primary job skills are project management and database administration. I mention project management because I believe my skills of defining scope, schedule and assigning responsibilities will blend well with the President’s role in TLCA, a role which I believe is that of a facilitator. My IT skills will also prove invaluable as TLCA continues to try to move forward with utilizing information systems such as the internet (our web site) and shared databases for information management.

My prior experience with TLCA reads like an adventure fantasy. I had the great fortune to become involved with TLCA while Ron Patston was President. The association was preparing for elections in Nov. of 1998 and no one had stepped forward as Secretary. Here was my opportunity to get involved and without any prior nomination, I was elected. My role of Secretary in 1999 saw Ron Patston step down as President and Pat Halpin took over the reigns for the remainder of 99. These were trying times for TLCA with the Black Sunday meeting culminating in the resignations of two board members. Taking minutes was exceptionally brutal as meetings lasted many hours and I noted too much detail. It was very hard to complete the minutes and have available within a timely manner. These difficulties remain today and I will address them as President by requiring the Secretary to only note attendees and the outcome of all motions. The pages of dialect can and should be omitted unless specifically requested by meeting attendees.

As my term as secretary neared it’s end, I then was nominated and elected as the Western Representative. I personally feel this role was under utilized and I did not receive one call from any TLCA Member about the association, it’s issues or direction. &nbsp:During this time, I also had to explain to MTA and it’s Members why TLCA would no longer accept their TLCA Club Renewals in batch format. While I understood the issues at hand and was marginally successful in portraying these issues to the Chapter, I felt TLCA had chosen the wrong course of action and with further analysis, could have achieved a higher success in membership retention by working with Chapters to support batch renewals. If I am elected President, I will re-visit this issue and by working with the local TLCA representative and chapter contacts, develop a renewal process that supports Chapters and helps TLCA retain memberships. I also had my first introduction to Sanctioned Events vs. non Sanctioned Events with regards to MTA’s Frolic, PMC’s Swap Meet and the now defunct Catamount Cruiser Challenge. The issues here are near and dear to these Chapters and I worked hard to formulate the By Law changes which currently exist, defining the various levels of TCLA Sponsorship including the new event distinction, Restricted. While the conclusions reached did not fully help the Non Sanctioned Events nor recover the lost event, CCC, it did help clarify the requirements and benefits of each type of event. I know issues and philosophy changes still challenge the association to this day. I will work to help the association reach conclusion on this issue.
As my term as Western Rep. ended, I was then elected to the newest TLCA board position, Marketing and Sales VP. This new role was created to help market the association and strengthen our membership base by promoting TLCA outside the usual venues. Unfortunately, the role was also created as Rainy Kirk stepped down from his VP role, which had primarily focused on Raffle Prize procurement. To this day, I believe there is confusion and lack of direction with regards to the MSVP role and while I was moderately successful in securing raffle prizes for Sanctioned Events and did see a huge increase in National Raffle ticket sales income, many feel I missed the mark with the actual ‘marketing’ and promotion of TLCA to new and potential members. This issue still remains as a great opportunity for us all. If elected President, I will work with the MSVP and the entire voting board to further define this role to the benefit of the association.

Also during my tenure as MSVP, I learned more about the dissymmetry of events and raffle prizes. While I felt I had been successful in securing raffle prizes, event coordinators informed me that I was counter-productive to their efforts and there was a lack of coordination between chapter events and the association. While the issue of raffle prizes may seem insignificant, I believe it is not because Chapters and events are what I refer to as ‘Helping bring TLCA home to the members’. Along with Trails, events are where TLCA members realize a primary benefit of TLCA Membership. By attending the event, meeting other TLCA Members and having fun while supporting the Chapter and TLCA.

And Chapters supporting TLCA is an open page which has been doodled upon but never formally written. All too often I hear Chapters asking ‘What’s in it for us’? All too often TLCA has instructed Chapters in what they cannot do. As Western Rep and MSVP, I have always stated that Chapters are dynamic in nature and a resource under utilized by TLCA. The association must not hinder Chapters in their efforts to gain new members and host new events. If TLCA supports Chapters by providing opportunity to grow and explore new types of events, the association will gain by the Chapters success. If elected President, I will work to strengthen the unity between Chapters and TLCA, asking Chapters to support the association with increased membership and asking the association to support the Chapter with flexible requirements and event support.

Of course, I could not elaborate my thoughts and aspirations about Chapters without discussing the ongoing issue of ‘Chapters in Good Standing’ and yearly Delegate forms. I was the chair of the By Laws Review committee, which was charged with reviewing the By Laws, and bringing them current, something the association had fallen far behind on. &nbsp:During this time, much effort and thought was put into Chapters and the new status of ‘Chapter in Good Standing’ was created. While the actual verbiage has been challenged, the intent was that although a Chapter may be accepted into the association, there is a universal obligation that the Chapter must follow up on a yearly basis to inform TLCA that the chapter is still solvent, requiring TLCA Membership and plans to be active at the Board level. This is done by simply completing the Delegate form and providing TLCA a Club Roster or listing of members. If elected President, I will see that By Law revisions are submitted to the voting board to put substance back into these words and require yearly follow up by Chapters to remain in Good Standing with the association. Far too much effort has been wasted by the association over the last two years in dealing with this issue. Let’s put the requirements in writing that everyone can understand and agree to.

While my TLCA Board activities have taken a vacation through 2002 allowing me to focus on my Chapters activities, my wife Cindy and I have continued to over see all TLCA Merchandise efforts including banner scheduling and information packets. I am also on the Web Site Committee chaired by Henry Brimmer and while these efforts have declined to virtually nothing, as President I will fast track the web site review committee’s results and see that TLCA has a new site up by the end of my first year. At this time, I can think of nothing more important to the association than updating our web site. Too much work and effort has been expended by volunteers to simply have new and creative ideas languishing on someone’s hard drive.

I have also been approached by Dave Brown to be Mike Trathen’s successor with regards to chairing 2003 Rubithon. This is a huge task, instrumental to the association’s financial success and one into which I will pour my energy and enthusiasm. While I can assure you, the TLCA Member that I will be successful and make you proud of our only Hosted event, I can also assure you that being TLCA President will only better position me for success in this role and not detract from my ability to serve as President.

I realize I have used much more of your time than I should and I apologize but TLCA and it’s continued success is extremely important to me. There are many issues and subjects in which I would like to express my concerns and direction such as a harmonious transition for Toyota Trails to a new Editor, successful initiation of the new Administrator position and completion of securing Toyota Sponsorship, but let me summarize my thoughts into three areas: Membership, Toyota Trails and Events! These are where I believe TLCA should expend it’s energy and if elected President, I will work hard to make sure these three topics are given top priority and resolution. Yes, these subjects can have many facets and seem to become entangled in a web of issues but by working as a team and drawing upon our strengths and knowledge, we can chart the best course of action for the association using the resources available to us and in the end, provide a solid membership base allowing us the financial freedom to explore new trails for the association.

If what you have read excites you about the future of the association as it does me, then please contact your Chapter Delegate or Individual Representative and voice your decision for them to vote for Tony Twiddy as TLCA President, and conversely, if you feel you cannot fully support my ideas and directions or that my view does not bode well for the association, then let me know by voicing your opinion of No Thanks Tony. For me to be successful, I need the full support of TLCA and you. Many thanks!!!

Questions can be sent directly to me at cruiserfan@.att.net.

Tony Twiddy #5049

I plan to actively pursue the BB format for Bodreps, and as noted, my goals for the association can be put into 3 simple categories: Membership, Trails, Events. While I realize (from reading in this forum and others) that Trails is most important and some could say 'should be listed first', without a membership base, we cannot afford Trails. Trails will increase and retain our membership and membeship will guarantee the continued printing of Trails.

I will be asking Woody if I can use this forum for lots of communication and updates. There will be lots to come. In an effort to show strong communication, all my items of importance will be broadcasted via Bodreps first, which I believe should be the primary tool for communication, but I will certainly follow up in this forum so that all TLCA Members and off road enthusiasts can be part. I have also asked that folks treat Jan 1st not as the first day of the new year, but as the first day of a new era of cooperation and understanding within TLCA. Oh, and stay tuned to the President's message beginning Mar/Apr.... I can assure you it will have much less to do with what I've been up to personally and much more focus on what's going on (and shouldn't be going on) in TLCA.

I'll wrap up by asking those of you on the renewal fence to give us a chance... and I say us because as noted, there is no 'I' in Team.

takce care and many thanks...

Tony Twiddy

Congratulations Tony!

I speak for Lone Star Land Cruisers when I say, Giddy Up!

Nick Stone
81 BJ42 "BJ"
82 FJ60 "Sparrow"
Lone Star Land Cruisers TLCA #8070

Hey Tony
While we are on the subject, who else was elected to the TLCA BOD this year. I have yet to hear through the grapevine. Thanks

Ross... speaking from memory here...

David Gibbs - Treasurer
Rob Blumel - Marketing / Sales VP
AVP is up in the air, winner had declined nomination sometime ago but still ended up in election and won... Dave Brown then stepped down to allow Nick Stone the job... some are calling for another vote.
Alan Loshbaugh is M/C IR

Carrying over another year is

Bruce Lutz - Western IR
Paul Elbisser - Eastern IR
Erik Christianson - Secretary
Eric Vogt - EVP

Personally, I am very excited about the team assembled and everyone seems to have a positive attitude and is ready to make some measurable gains this year. We certainly have our work cut out for us.

Good Luck Mr. President :D

Holler If You Hear Me!

John Harloe
TLCA #6663
LoneStar Cruisers

1975 FJ-40 Zebranator II
1980 FJ-40 Rompin' Red
1983 FJ-60 Brutus
1997 Lex 450

Tony
I like a lot of what you said, and support your presidency.
I remember meeting you at CM2000-2 (you ran the TLCA booth IIRC), anyway good luck and keep up the good work,

Leave it to our illustrious LSLC President to start a new thread on this subject (I think he hit Post instead of reply :D), but my answer to why the Lone Star Land Cruisers are so successful are in the thread started by Butch Baker.

In short, keep it fun!

Hey Grog,

Look at the dates on the threads. .....mine was here before his.
:p
Butch

Do we or could we have some type of TLCA sponsored expeditiion event this year? Something like going on an expedition to Alaska and going into the back country. Something significant that is long and tough and is more concentrated on the journey instead focusing solely on rock climbing? Camping, hiking, and other activities included.

Regards,

Robin

Hi John... I hear you, thanks for yours, and all the kind words of encouragement from the LSLC group.

Ben, yes, that was me pedaling TLCA wares at CM. We did not go last year but Cindy and I are looking hard at going in 03... mainly because it was so darn fun!

Robin, as Woody noted, the Alaska Cruiser Crew has what could be argued as the most extensive back country expedition type event going.

And Nolen, No, I started the other thread after reading Butch's note. I just go so excited after joining the forum and reading the complaints and kudos... so much of our thoughts were virtually the same about whats working and whats not for TLCA.

Hi Jack!!!

I think about you often... well, OK, whenever I watch my Moab video and you busting your taillights across golden crack. ;)

Perhaps I should post my review of that trip, or at least, Adam's Pot Luck portion... it sure was fun!

WOW... cliffs notes on the intro bit :D

best of luck then on your new position!!

Hi Jack!!!

I think about you often... well, OK, whenever I watch my Moab video and you busting your taillights across golden crack.   ;)

Perhaps I should post my review of that trip, or at least, Adam's Pot Luck portion... it sure was fun!

got any pics of his machine out wheeling? id love to see them!! only seen those few that have been on his site forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom