2002 BMW F650GS Fork FAILURE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya All,
THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE! On 10/02, I had the front right fork of my 2002 BMW F650GS fail. The lug that holds the axle to the fork casting catastrophically failed. See the picture attached to this thread. This apparently was know to happen by BMW and they redesigned the forks with more material at the lugs in 2003. If you own this bike in the years prior to 2003. PLEASE have your forks tested, I don't want others to suffer like I have due to this failure on a poorly designed fork.
I suffered a separated shoulder and massive dislocation. I am currently on medical leave after they reconstructed my shoulder by pulling my collar bone back into place. AGAIN, I hope no one else has to do go through this procedure or worse because they didn't know about these fork failures.
Thanks,
Craig
BMW F650GS Failure.jpg

bmw f650 fork failure

May 10th 2011, F650 Dakar 2001
Driving straight down a road w/wife on for the first time ever. Going 40 mph on a bright and sunny day, out of nowhere the bike lurched to the left and we crossed the road and hit dirt which high sided us and flung us both off. I landed on a rock and she landed on top of me. Missed a tree by less then a foot.. 6 weeks later, 6 days in two different hospitals and a completely shattered scapula and the coracoid broken at the base. Major tissue damage just to add a little extra... Plus landed in poison Ivy and was covered head to toe while in the hospital. Going to need surgery in another month to reconnect some floating stuff. My wife got away with a sprained ankle and knee, thank god..
I've been riding bikes all my life, every day I go over the crash and still cant figure out what happened, until now. I read something about f650 Dakar fork failure and all the bells and whistles went off. What do I do now, does anyone care?????
Do i get in touch w a lawyer, NHTSA, BMW or just deal with it until somebody is DEAD.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

May 10th 2011, F650 Dakar 2001
Driving straight down a road w/wife on for the first time ever. Going 40 mph on a bright and sunny day, out of nowhere the bike lurched to the left and we crossed the road and hit dirt which high sided us and flung us both off. I landed on a rock and she landed on top of me. Missed a tree by less then a foot.. 6 weeks later, 6 days in two different hospitals and a completely shattered scapula and the coracoid broken at the base. Major tissue damage just to add a little extra... Plus landed in poison Ivy and was covered head to toe while in the hospital. Going to need surgery in another month to reconnect some floating stuff. My wife got away with a sprained ankle and knee, thank god..
I've been riding bikes all my life, every day I go over the crash and still cant figure out what happened, until now. I read something about f650 Dakar fork failure and all the bells and whistles went off. What do I do now, does anyone care?????
Do i get in touch w a lawyer, NHTSA, BMW or just deal with it until somebody is DEAD.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Not sure of your best course of action. A lot of info here:

Check your F650GS or Dakar Forks - ADVrider

Wally

First thing to do is file NHTSA report NHTSA have stated they will re open their investigation if circumstances warrant it. That means if they receive more reports of failures

The second thing contact me, I am collecting info in these failures

You can look at details at

ForkFail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom