2001 Ignition Cylinder Issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
So a few months ago, I started noticing that my key was having trouble occasionally in the ignition cylinder. It was just kind of hanging here and there. Eventually, it started getting worse to the point where it wouldn't turn it sometimes. After finding out how expensive they are at Toyota, and that they don't match them to your original key, I decided to lube it up real good. After doing that, it worked perfectly for about 2 weeks, until it started doing it again. A complete lock set (ignition, doors, pass. airbag switch) from Toyota is $600! So, yesterday I came home and decided to remove the ignition cylinder and take it apart to find out what the issue was. It was extremely easy to get the cylinder out. However, Toyota apparently never meant for the cylinder to be removed from the housing, because the bezel was swedged onto the housing. I removed it anyway by filing down the swedged pins, and removing another small pin. Once in there, I found that 2 of the wafers (tumblers) were a split type. I guess the purpose of that was to make it harder to pick the lock. Anyway, I assumed that these were probably causing the problem. I removed each of those, along with the associated springs, and put it all back together. It has worked flawlessly so far. Only time will tell if it's a permanent fix.

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

So a few months ago, I started noticing that my key was having trouble occasionally in the ignition cylinder. It was just kind of hanging here and there. Eventually, it started getting worse to the point where it wouldn't turn it sometimes. After finding out how expensive they are at Toyota, and that they don't match them to your original key, I decided to lube it up real good. After doing that, it worked perfectly for about 2 weeks, until it started doing it again. A complete lock set (ignition, doors, pass. airbag switch) from Toyota is $600! So, yesterday I came home and decided to remove the ignition cylinder and take it apart to find out what the issue was. It was extremely easy to get the cylinder out. However, Toyota apparently never meant for the cylinder to be removed from the housing, because the bezel was swedged onto the housing. I removed it anyway by filing down the swedged pins, and removing another small pin. Once in there, I found that 2 of the wafers (tumblers) were a split type. I guess the purpose of that was to make it harder to pick the lock. Anyway, I assumed that these were probably causing the problem. I removed each of those, along with the associated springs, and put it all back together. It has worked flawlessly so far. Only time will tell if it's a permanent fix.

View attachment 3229849

View attachment 3229850
So was this a permanent fix?
Can you give me an update on this issue and fix?
We are now having this issue in my 2003 and need to find a home fix if possible.
Thanks!!!

So was this a permanent fix?
Can you give me an update on this issue and fix?
We are now having this issue in my 2003 and need to find a home fix if possible.
Thanks!!!

Still works perfectly.

you could buy the ignition cylinder from Toyota and have it locally re-keyed to your og key.

i update the cylinder in early trucks (pre tacoma) for theft prevention help. it uses an updated key not compatible with the early key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom