2000 LX 4 pin trailer plug, converting to 7 pin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I searched to see who else has done this and couldn't find anything. My 2000 came with a 4 pin trailer plug and I need a 7 pin for my new trailer.

What is the best way to do this?

I saw there is a toyota plug that terminates near the rear cross member that the 4 pin harness plugs into, could I simply get a 7 pin plug from my dealer and would that work? Or would I need to run the power wire to the battery.

Thanks!

amazon,uhual,flaps sell adapters for like $10 unless you actually have electronic brakes on your trailer and a brake controller.

otherwise yeah, you'd need to rewire the plug or buy a kit and pull 12v power into the other 3 pins on the 7 pin connector. here's the lay out so you know what you are doing.

7-way_zps702153a8.jpg

here's a link to a off the shelf part that would work if you need an acutal working 7 pin plug instead of a dumb adapter that doen't actually make use of the extra pins.
Amazon.com : Trailer Adapter plug, convert 4 way flat to 7 way RV trailer (97015) : Trailer Connectors : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I've gotten this far. What are the black and purple wires for?

I know the blue is trailer brakes.

IMG_4534.JPG

I've gotten this far. What are the black and purple wires for?

I know the blue is trailer brakes.

View attachment 1495585

I believe that purple lead is for backup lights and that black is for a hot fused 12v lead from battery for charging purposes

I installed a 7-pin connector on my 2002 LX470 after gleaning information from various folks in various threads on this forum.

I purchased from etrailer these:

4-pin wiring:
Tekonsha Tow Harness #118245 $ 21.95

Trailer Hitch:
Draw-Tite Hitch: 75095 $172.95

Wiring:
Trailer Connector Mounting Box, #18157 $ 7.99
Universal Wiring Kit $ 65.84
Quickie Tester $ 23.95
Trailer Connector Mounting Box, # 18159 $ 9.99

Brake Controller:
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 #90195 $144.15
----------
$436.83

The Tekonsha Tow Harness extended the connector near the back bumper and plugged into the 7-pin connector contained in the Universal Wiring kit.

I had to run a 2 wire cable from the Engine compartment to the rear bumper.
These 2 wires were for +12v trailer charging power, and electric brakes on the trailer.
I got ground off the frame.

In the Engine compartment the Universal Wiring Kit provided two Circuit Breakers - one for the
+12v charging and the other was for the electric brakes.

I ran 3 cables from the Engine Compartment through the Firewall and under the Dash to connect
to the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller - +12V, Gnd, and Electric Brake. The Electric Brake
wire was connected one of the wire runs that ran back to the rear 7-pin connector.

I ran the 2-wire cable under the frame keeping it away from the Exhaust and anything that might
cut the cable. Used Zip Ties to keep the cable neat.

Last edited:
Here is where I connected the Tekonsha Tow Harness.
This provided light signals to the 7-way connector:
- brake lights
- Left and Right turn signals
- night lights

I did not wire in Reverse Backup lights as my RV (Rpod 180) did not have them.

4-WayConnector-red arrow.jpg

Last edited:
You will also need to run a wire to the Brake Controller so that it will know when you press on the
Brake pedal. The connection you need to make is behind the drivers left most kick panel. The Universal Kit should have a wire tap type connector that clamps onto the pedal wire.
Brake Wire Connection for Brake Controller-1.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted the two Circuit Breakers on the inner fender like this:

CircuitBreakers-3.jpg

Wires going through Firewall. I used a pick to punch a hole in the rubber grommet.
Then a stick with a string attached that I pulled the wire with.
Firewall - Power Brake Wires-2.jpg

Here is the thee wires from the Firewall:

The Brake Controller is going to require these 3 wires and that wire you tap into behind the driver side kick panel.

Essentially, the Brake Controller needs these 4 connections:
+12v
Gnd
Brake input from the brake pedal
Brake output that runs to the rear 7-pin connector.

Inside Wiring.jpg

Last edited:
The wiring diagram I used:
Wiring Diagram.jpg

This is the way mine looked when done.
I removed the Ash Tray and stuffed the Brake Controller in that position.
7-WayConnector-3.jpg
BrakeController-1.jpg
BrakeController-2.jpg

If I were in your shoes, I'd put in a Toyota Tundra adapter, it has both the 4 pin and 7 pin connections.

That would be the way to do it if you have a 2003+ with towing package,
Those have proper connectors under the Dash for the Brake Controller
and 7-pins at the rear bumper.

Would these instructions be the same for '99 model?
I would think they would be the same on the 99. I just crawled under my 2001 and found there is only a square plug there. I'm going to buy an aftermarket 7 pin plug and just run it without brakes (light trailer) for now. Eventually, I would like to do this and run the wires for brakes and 12v.

Okay
I have a 2000 land cruiser
Has the factory tow hitch and 4 pin.
If I go under the truck from the driver side rear of the tow hitch I see another Empty plug that looks like the factory 7pin connects to?
I'm I crazy or is it plug and play?

I need a 7pin for my trailer ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom