2000 Land Cruiser Prado IKZ-TE Over Heating Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

My Prado coolant gauge go on full high temperature when I drive. I have changed my coolant sensor, replaced and flush coolant, changed engine oil but the problem remains the same. Yesterday its stopped on the highway due to over heating. Engine gasket is still fine. Radiator fluid is full but the reservoir is little less than full.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

if you’re asking if it is a do it yourself project that depends on you. Here is a video that should help. Start at the 11 minute point. It could also be your fan clutch not locking up when it gets warm.

Last edited:
if you’re asking if it is a do it yourself project that depends on you. Here is a video that should help. Start at the 11 minute point. It could also be your fan clutch not locking up when it gets warm.

Thanks. I opened the top hose part of the radiator mistakenly and wasted my time before your email :-(. I will try it and let you know.

161014C.gif

Thanks. I opened the top hose part of the radiator mistakenly and wasted my time before your email :-(. I will try it and let you know.

View attachment 3370823

View attachment 3370823

View attachment 3370823

I have a thermostat now and I opened the two top nuts but couldn't reached the bottom one as there is two small metal pipes going in front which were attached with the thermostat pipe. I removed the nut but those two small dia pipes still not moving.

Here are the pics:

One is from the top ad when is from the bottom side of the engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I even bought flexible ratchet but that did not did the trick.

Thanks

Screenshot_20230718_204346_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20230718_205542_Video Player.jpg

I have a few questions...

How many kms?
Original rad?
What about fan clutch?

Was there something that changed drastically lately? Temps don't generally spike out of the blue unless something has drastically failed. Usu it's a combination of things over time...

Check your radiator for obstructions, is mud grass etc.
Check your fan clutch for lock up.
Check your radiators temperature top and bottom and side to side to see how efficiently it is bringing down the temps as you go from top to bottom.

Do you have an egt guage? If your egts are rising unchecked your coolant will soon follow...

I have a few questions...

How many kms?
Original rad?
What about fan clutch?

Was there something that changed drastically lately? Temps don't generally spike out of the blue unless something has drastically failed. Usu it's a combination of things over time...

Check your radiator for obstructions, is mud grass etc.
Check your fan clutch for lock up.
Check your radiators temperature top and bottom and side to side to see how efficiently it is bringing down the temps as you go from top to bottom.

Do you have an egt guage? If your egts are rising unchecked your coolant will soon follow...
Hi!

How many kms? 180K
Original rad? Yes
What about fan clutch? Its fine and has some resistance when I rotate it with hand and not free.
As Javelindave said I have changed the Thermostat and top up new coolant, replaced the radiator cap and Temp is going little over the middle after running it for 20 min in high heat. Wii update if its remain the same after I will drive on the highway.
Don't know what is egts

Thanks

20230802_204036.jpg

Unfortunately it didn't workout. Prado is still heating up by driving speed 70 for 10 minutes.

20230804_163200.jpg

A few points here.

First off, EGT is exhaust gas temperature. This is an extremely important parameter to monitor on a turbo diesel, and I never run a (TD) vehicle without it. It is pretty simple to add by drilling a small hole before or after the turbo and installing the probe, with the gauge inside the cabin. The least intrusive of these is made by Auburins, and is a small digital box. If you are lugging your engine, feeding it too much fuel under load, especially up long grades, your egts will rise dramatically. Somewhere around 1,400° f aluminum parts start to melt and you can take out your turbo in dramatic fashion... Also, once your egts are in the danger zone I find that coolant temps start to follow fairly quickly, so I view it like a distant early warning system...

Speaking of gauges, the Toyota factory gauges are more of a guide then an actual temperature reading. But I would be very concerned about spiking like that. If the gauge is accurate, I'd probably be doing a head gasket test. Try using a laser temperature thermometer and checking temperatures as the coolant goes into the radiator etc...

A few points here.

First off, EGT is exhaust gas temperature. This is an extremely important parameter to monitor on a turbo diesel, and I never run a (TD) vehicle without it. It is pretty simple to add by drilling a small hole before or after the turbo and installing the probe, with the gauge inside the cabin. The least intrusive of these is made by Auburins, and is a small digital box. If you are lugging your engine, feeding it too much fuel under load, especially up long grades, your egts will rise dramatically. Somewhere around 1,400° f aluminum parts start to melt and you can take out your turbo in dramatic fashion... Also, once your egts are in the danger zone I find that coolant temps start to follow fairly quickly, so I view it like a distant early warning system...

Speaking of gauges, the Toyota factory gauges are more of a guide then an actual temperature reading. But I would be very concerned about spiking like that. If the gauge is accurate, I'd probably be doing a head gasket test. Try using a laser temperature thermometer and checking temperatures as the coolant goes into the radiator etc...
Please share picture of your EGT system if you could and where I can find EGT for my Prado. I will go to Mechanic as it can be Fan, Fan Belt, Water Pump, Gasket issue. One of my mechanic says keep on driving as its heat up sometime when Radiator is not even Hot but I don't feels comfortable driving with heat Gauge Full.
Its only has 187,000 clicks and if VW TDI sedans (Jetta, Passat, Golf) can go over half millions Kms than Land Cruiser Prado can go higher than that I guess LOL.

Anyway I went to Mechanic and spent more than $200 and they did not find anything mechanical issue but the faulty dashboard cluster temperature gauge.
Any idea if its DIY stuff? Let me know if I can easily wired gauage sensor if possible.

Thanks

Last edited:
A few points here.

Hi JDM Journey!

I found this as you said with both oil and coolant temperatures. Is it possible I can use this on and replaced my oem coolant sensor with this:
i will email the company if its fit on mine.

For EGT it will be hard for me to make holes.

Thanks

SYL-1813_Profile_w.jpg

Hi!

Thanks I ordered it. My brother 1992 Land Cruiser died today because of the engine runaway. 1HDT engine, JDM RHD, without rim and tires.Anyone knows the value or worth of with blown engine..So this runaway engine can be avoided if I have the turbo probe? What temp is dangerous.

Last edited:
Hi JDM Journey!

I found this as you said with both oil and coolant temperatures. Is it possible I can use this on and replaced my oem coolant sensor with this:
i will email the company if its fit on mine.

For EGT it will be hard for me to make holes.

Thanks

View attachment 3412400
here is my engine turbo pic. any idea where to install EGT probe before the turbo 1/8 "NPT size?

Thanks

20230915_094212.jpg

20230915_094159.jpg

Could very well be a blocked radiator if it's the original radiator. I picked up an OEM spec radiator from a local radiator shop for about $250 new and it fixed my overheating issues well and truly! I also spent a bit more money and replaced all the old rubber hoses to/from the radiator, to the turbo etc and I think there was another one coming out of the head into the block near the fuel pump. Seeing temps in the red like you are is a very bad sign and you may have already damaged your motor/head. It's surprising your cooling system isn't being pressurized from a crack in the head at this stage to be honest! You may find it's too late and you need to replace the head/gasket

Start with a new radiator and while you have the old one out, flush out the cooling system with a garden hose up one of the heater pipes in the engine bay till the water runs clean. Very easy DIY job. Apart from that, theirs not much else that can be causing a problem that I can think of. With the viscous fan thing, you wont notice overheating until you're going up long hills if the viscous hub is getting tired. I don't think thats your prblem.

Could very well be a blocked radiator if it's the original radiator. I picked up an OEM spec radiator from a local radiator shop for about $250 new and it fixed my overheating issues well and truly! I also spent a bit more money and replaced all the old rubber hoses to/from the radiator, to the turbo etc and I think there was another one coming out of the head into the block near the fuel pump. Seeing temps in the red like you are is a very bad sign and you may have already damaged your motor/head. It's surprising your cooling system isn't being pressurized from a crack in the head at this stage to be honest! You may find it's too late and you need to replace the head/gasket

Start with a new radiator and while you have the old one out, flush out the cooling system with a garden hose up one of the heater pipes in the engine bay till the water runs clean. Very easy DIY job. Apart from that, theirs not much else that can be causing a problem that I can think of. With the viscous fan thing, you wont notice overheating until you're going up long hills if the viscous hub is getting tired. I don't think thats your prblem.
Thanks KiwiBogan. I spent $250 dollars for the diagnostic but all they says is faulty cluster panel gauge.
But I will give a try as you says its too dangerous driving in red zone whether engine is hot or not.

Thanks KiwiBogan. I spent $250 dollars for the diagnostic but all they says is faulty cluster panel gauge.
But I will give a try as you says its too dangerous driving in red zone whether engine is hot or not.
Another thing you could do is add an aftermarket temp gauge in the top radiator hose for peace of mind. I also did that on mine for extra security. SAAS make a product you can plumb into the hose that gives you a screw in bung to put the temp sender probe.

Like this: SAAS WATER TEMP GAUGE SENDER ADAPTOR RADIATOR 36mm suit HZJ70 HZJ75 HZJ78 HZJ79 - https://www.autobox.com.au/saas-water-temp-gauge-sender-adaptor-landcruiser

Another thing you could do is add an aftermarket temp gauge in the top radiator hose for peace of mind. I also did that on mine for extra security. SAAS make a product you can plumb into the hose that gives you a screw in bung to put the temp sender probe.

Like this: SAAS WATER TEMP GAUGE SENDER ADAPTOR RADIATOR 36mm suit HZJ70 HZJ75 HZJ78 HZJ79 - https://www.autobox.com.au/saas-water-temp-gauge-sender-adaptor-landcruiser
I second an upper rad hose insert. I put a mechanical type inline (70 series) and it has been a great diagnostic tool. You know the second your thermostat opens since the gauge practically doesn't register until then.

Mine is an automated insert. But there are plenty of good ones. Just figure out which gauge you're using first so the threaded hole will match...

Very accurate. At the same time I replaced the sender with a new OEM unit. Factory gauge is very conservative but it's made a little more useful by a secondary temp gauge after you get used to the correlation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom