2,000 RPM at 60 mph? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was messing around with the gears finding where there speed ( range ) starts and ends. I felt something like another gear. It would downshift and then when I let off it would upshift. I couldn't find the gear it was shifting into. Tried o/d and all. Is that the torque converter "slipping" then locking when I let off the throttle?

^If that makes any damn sense. ^

I have noticed this as well, it's like a mini-gear around overdrive, any explanation?

2000UZJ Thanks for the assurance about the low speed delay I'm feeling. Being in Columbus, OH almost all my driving is on flats but I'm sure your right about it happening only on the flat or downhill.

Anyone have ideas on the lockup question? Can it be checked?

Driving my 1fz-fe 5speed ute/pickup at 100kmh or 60ish mile it sits on 2500 rpm, driving my dads uzj100 5spd auto at 100kmh sitting on 2000 rpm im well impressed just that 500 rpm drop gives heaps better fuel eco on long trips

The 4.88 will raise RPM not lower it. Numerically higher ratio means the engine turns over a higher number of times per wheel rev.

I find it funny that cruise rpm is such a riddle that needs to be solved. Don't worry guys, Toyota knows what it's doing here and they have optimized this to makes sure you're getting the most efficiency at the typical cruise speeds.

Modern engines are not simply lope at a lower rpm, and reap more efficiency. There's factors such as volumetric efficiency at various load and rpm points that play into this dramatically.

For example, imagine if the hundy were geared to cruise at say 70mph@2000 rpm, the engine would not likely make enough torque to overcome the significant aero load (big car!), and the engine would be running very rich because it's outside of its ideal powerband - and therefore be swilling far more gas. This is not so far fetched as this is what people are encountering when going to 35's with stock gearing. Then the car feels very weak at these speeds and doesn't like to accelerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom