1KZTE 105° C Temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Just did a trip in some high 90 degree temps coming back from the olympic national forest. Have a front mount intercooler. 77C high flow thermostat. 10 blade electric fan that starts at 80C. Recent coolant flush and change to Toyota LL Red. Recent Oil change.

Rig is fully loaded with equipment, 2 kids, and 2 adults. running up I-5, speeds are 70+ mph (110-120 kph). Long hill climbs on the freeway back. Trans is close to 3k when hitting freeway speed. EGTs around 850-950 sustained at full speed (Pre Turbo) - sometimes hitting 1k F on longer climbs for short moments.

When I got back today checked the water temp gauge on the fan and it was at 105C. Any cause for concern for my 1KZTE and ideas on anything else I can do? Tried the electric, also have a 9 blade mechanical and oil for viscous fan clutch. Which I'm more than happy to try out and reinstall to see. But I'm wondering if there's anything else recommended? I took my car to a radiator shop and they said they had no cause for concern. Trans cooler?

Maybe i'm just overreacting?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you all.

Last edited:
i would put your mechanical fan back on. is this the first time to see these or did it do it everytime in similar conditions?

First time really seeing that temp for the coolant. But it was also first time having a gauge to see the exact temp. Test run with the electric fan. However EGTs we’re 100-200 degree lower than prior to FMIC. Some of my earliest trips with the car and EGT gauge id see 1200+ for short stretches just trying to go through coastal range which isn’t too high of elevation.

This time id barely see 1100F for maybe 5 seconds and I saw those EGTs maybe three times. So my EGTs I’m very happy with where they were compared to before.

I do have my fan clutch and a new 9 blade fan to mount to it. So when I get bored I’ll slap that back on and see how she does. I also have a 71C Toyota thermostat I can try to install next coolant flush.

what boost? I found lots of boost was my friend especially on long slow up hills flat to the floor with a trailer on , the difference between 16psi and 20psi was noticeable on the egts and watertemp , if you are running stock boost you are most likely getting to much fuel? time to choke that wastegate

what boost? I found lots of boost was my friend especially on long slow up hills flat to the floor with a trailer on , the difference between 16psi and 20psi was noticeable on the egts and watertemp , if you are running stock boost you are most likely getting to much fuel? time to choke that wastegate
Stock boost at the moment (I think it’s 9 or 10 psi based on my gauge). Thinking of upping it to 12-13psi. I’ll look into wastegate. Thank you so much.

My car is alot lighter than yours, but I have the clutch fan with 10,000 cst oil and the valve adjusted to come on earlier. The highest I've ever seen is 97C. But i keep an eye on it and dial it back if it's getting that high. I keep my eye on water temps more so than EGTs anymore as they are rarely ever a problem since doing the intercooler and running 14-16psi boost. I would definitely put the clutch fan back in.

My car is alot lighter than yours, but I have the clutch fan with 10,000 cst oil and the valve adjusted to come on earlier. The highest I've ever seen is 97C. But i keep an eye on it and dial it back if it's getting that high. I keep my eye on water temps more so than EGTs anymore as they are rarely ever a problem since doing the intercooler and running 14-16psi boost. I would definitely put the clutch fan back in.
Thank you for those tips. Is there any walk through for adjusting the valve to come on earlier?

Did you have to do any tuning once changing the boost?

I followed this thread for the fan clutch.

I haven't turned up my fuel since increasing my boost. I'm going to get a manual fuel pump probably next year and at that point I'll probably start turning up the fuel, but for now the higher boost just gives a little extra cooling. If you want to boost over 14 you need to work around the fuel cut. I used a turbosmart fuel cut defender. You could also get a 3 bar MAP sensor or do the Zenner diode mod some others on here have done. Or you can just keep the boost at 14 psi which is probably good enough IMO.

I used a heat gun to adjust my fan , its got a digital display of the temp , its a dewalt brand - really handy , pull the hub apart and heat the little coil on the front , you will see this slowly rotate and inside this moves a steel plate opening the valve for the silicon oil to go through , i set my heat gun to around 84deg and set the valve there

oh and dont forget , buy the 10,000cst from your local hobby shop (RC car diff oil), its cheap as chips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom