1KZ-TE Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Just in time for Christmas my alternator died.
A couple questions for anyone who has had to deal with this topic....
Has anyone rebuilt theirs? I see most of the likely to be the problem internal bits are NA parts but not the whole unit. This should make it realistic to pull off a successful rebuild. Also how can you tell if it's a 70 or 80 Amp model? I cant see any P/N's on the case to ID it without a tear down first.
Am I missing something in the EPC that determines what year had which one? It doesn't seem clear.

Has anyone had experiences with "RARE ELECTRICAL" products out of GA? They offer one that crosses to the 70 Amp Toyo P/N.
It's pretty cheap so I'm skeptical.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Unless you are running a half dozen old school halogen lights I would think a 70 amp alternator would be more than enough.

I have had an alternator rebuilt on a 12ht 24v. Any alt shop can do it just make sure they know it's 24v or 12v. That alt has been perfect. Did the same on my 12v troopy but that alt just couldn't keep up and cut my losses and bought a new higher output outta aus.

I have rebuilt many alternators over the years.. many times the brush wears out and doesn't make contact. the Diodes can short out, and also the voltage regulator itself can fail.
so basically including the bearings going bad, you have 4 common failure modes to pick from. That being said I have not worked on a 1kz alty, but I dont see why you couldn't; do some basic troubleshooting at home with it.

Well I got the Rare Electrcal alternator through Amazon and installed it today. $400 cdn. Pulley grooves were slightly narrower than the OEM ones and shaft dia was different so couldn't swap them. Installed it anyway and seems to be fine.
Will find affordable parts for the original one and rebuild it after Christmas.
Thanks for all the input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom