1KZ Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ60 and am looking into diesel conversions for down the road. I have seen a couple 1KZ stinkies for sale and want to know more about them. I did a search for 1KZ and 3 threads came up. Not much info. So, how big? (liters), power? fuel econ.?, tranny options? What I saw said it came out of a Jap. 4Runner. Would this do a decent job of powering a 60? Also, what is a good price and what is a rip-off. (I'm in the U.S.)

Blue 60

ya not much info on that engine here. As it is rather newer.

Many are using 1HZ into FJ60's for conversion. But you also need the tranny with it.

!kz is I believe a 4cyl and 1hZ is a 6cyl.

Personnaly I would use a 1HZ and add a turbo. That would be an excellent option.

If you have not heard of G&Scruiser parts, now you should look.

http://www.gscruiserparts.com/index.html

Blue 60 said:
I have a FJ60 and am looking into diesel conversions for down the road. I have seen a couple 1KZ stinkies for sale and want to know more about them. I did a search for 1KZ and 3 threads came up. Not much info. So, how big? (liters), power? fuel econ.?, tranny options? What I saw said it came out of a Jap. 4Runner. Would this do a decent job of powering a 60? Also, what is a good price and what is a rip-off. (I'm in the U.S.)

Blue 60

http://www.birfield.com/modules.php?name=TLCFAQ&p=/~ramullen/FAQ/TEXT/05-04.html

Try some European and Ozzy boards, as they have much more familuraity with this engine then we do.

Also try the archives of the DTLC at http://www.birfield.com

Thanks for the props bb...

hth's

gb

1KZ-TE
Cylinders: 4
Valves: SOHC 8 Valves
Years: 95+
Displacement: 2982
Horsepower: 125@3600
Torque: 219@2000

1KZ is available as either 1KZT (Non EFI Turbo Diesel 3 Litre) or 1KZTE (EFI Turbo Diesel 3 Litre). It's a good engine available in the UK 4 Runner (1KZT) and the Japanese Hilux Surf from 1995 on (1KZTE). Also available in Late Model Landcruiser Light Duty 7X from 95 on.

Off the top of my head not sure what the transmission numbers are but R134 comes to mind (might just be air con fluid though). Available with 4 speed Auto and 5 speed manual. On later Surfs it was multi mode transmission (full time and part time 4wd with centre diff)

It would certainly work on a 60 but as has been said a 1HZ would do the job better. The 1KZ engine range have their peak torque further up the rev range so the 1HZ would make it a much more driveable car low down bearing in mind the weight increase over the 7X series and Surf.

Also the 1KZ TE will have its fair share of electronics,while the 1HZ just has one wire.

The 1KZ will be woeful without a turbo.I think these are from the 1-2 ton Dyna truck range.
Although it might be ok to buy one and add your own turbo without the electronics

As good as these engines might be, think of the long term. Where are you going to find parts for it? It shares very little with North American engines that Toyota supports. If you have good friends or relatives living abroad where the engine is sold, it might make sense as long as you take shipping delays into account.

Dave

Greg_B said:
Try some European and Ozzy boards, as they have much more familuraity with this engine then we do.gb

Shaking my head at myself...

This is not called international section for nothing. Thankfully this site continues to grow with more and more people from off North American soil. I know I appreciate it very much...

Beanz...It may take a little bit after the KZ family becomes legal in Canada, but aftermarket support will appear. It is happening with more and more bits on the platforms that never made it to Canada. For sure have a fudge factor though.

gb

Those are neat, light little engines (aluminium head) some heads have a tendency to crack when abused/ overheated, some reports indicate block failures as well at 250000kms and above.
The electronic version has something like 20 or 30 electrical connectors on the engine, which makes it kind of a PITA. They came with either a R151F manual or A343F auto tranny.
It would do very well in a shorty, but for a wagon I would look fore something a little bigger if you can.

I have a 1993 70 series [KZJ70] These come standard with the 1KZT engine without electronic EFI. It is an absolute belter of an engine. My vehicle is in the body shop at the moment so I can't give you the full engine/tranny numbers but i will if you can wait until next weekend. Otherwise do a search for all of my posts because I think it was this forum where i asked about my tranny/diff codes.

Back to the engine. It produces 125bhp and 215ft/lb at 2000rpm. Not bad for an engine that well over 10 years old. It'll certainly do the trick for your 60 series. This 3ltr engine is well known in these parts to be damn near bullet proof unlike the smaller Toyota diesels. They come standard with a turbo. There is a company in Germany selling them new for 4,000 euro. And I know of another chap who found a 40,000 mile engine for £400 in a wreckers yard. These engine's don't have an intercooler and for extra power they'd certainly benefit from one. Additionally parts are very common to come by due to their surf/4runner/prado/collorado use depending on which region of the world you're in. My engine to date has done 127,000 miles and not missed a beat. It has overheated twice but the first time was due to a leaking hose and I haven't pressure tested the engine again to see if there's another leak but the engine temp [of my example] at the moment is very erratic leading me to think that I've got both a leaking pipe and a faulty thermostat - but this is not the fault of the engine! Personally I have often said that the perfect 4x4 tourer for me is a fully equipped LandRover using Toyota mechanicals and when I say that I'm thinking of the 1KZT engine and transmission. So I guess I can't give a better recommendation than that!

1KZ is an electronically-controlled diesel engine. It is 3.0 litres, direct-injected, smooth, torquey and came with a R151F on a stick shift & A343F for the automatic.

I've driven a 2000 Prado (Malaysian Model) for 2.5 years. Overall, this engine is best described as light-to-medium duty and not suitable for a 2.5 ton Land Cruiser.

Your best option is at least a 1HZ but best to go with 1HD-FT- powerful, smooth, tunable, reliable & definitely a LAND CRUISER engine!!! :grinpimp: :cheers:

PJHunter said:
http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/index.htm

this chap also has a 1KZT in his vehicle and is currently touring Africa so you might find this link interesting...

Yep but that is in a UK 4Runner, a lot lighter than the '60.

Still it's a good engine though but as said, not sure it is man enough for the job of moving a 60 series.

1HD-T, 1HD-FT, 1HD-FTE are the engines for the job or a turbo'd 1HZ or maybe even a 12HT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom