1HZ-T Rebuild Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there

I have a 1996 HZJ80R, 360,000kms 1HZ-T (aftermarket turbo), FMIC, 3" exhaust.
i have rebuild the entire car aside from the eng trans and diffs and am now prepping to do the engine rebuild, as the car is off the road for 6 months.

i would also like to in future convert the motor to a 1HDT by means of replacing block up, pistons conrods injector pump, ij lines, injectors, cylinder head, manifolds and timing belt assy
According to Jim apparently i can run a 1HDT injector pump on a 1HZ cylinder head/lines/injectors??

i am aware of the DI IDI differences hence the projected conversion in future. i am unsure if the 1HDT cup style piston will cause any damage/problems if used with the 1HZ cylinder head and injectors. I don't think this is going to matter until the cylinder head and injectors are changed to 1HDT but who am i. its temporary indirect direct injection.. 1HZ injector squirts onto the 1HDT piston n cup setup, does its thing and recycles regardless of the hole, no?

Questions;
What rebuild kit is best suited for purchase in my situation?
Can i run 1HDT pistons and conrods with the 1HZ cylinder head? (Until later on the supporting upgrades are fitted to 1hdt on the 1hz block)
Is my prospect here better tackled through purchasing a 1HDT motor and rebuilding/swapping the 1HZ-T out? If so where in Melbourne is the best most reliable source of 1HDT motors?

I had done a search through the webs n search bar but this shiz too pacific and gettin very spensy

Thanks, Coach

I think you're asking for problems.

Yeah, this stuff is spendy, but ya gotta pay to play.
Cutting corners just makes things more expensive.

1HD-T pistons have the bowl as the combustion chamber, the injector sprays into the bowl. The head is completely flat.
1HD-T runs 18:1 compression.

1HZ has a pre-combustion chamber in the head, and small combustion chamber in the piston crown, combustion starts in the head and the flange studs to the combustion chamber in the piston/cylinder
1HZ runs at 22:1 compression.

The shape of the bowl, and location of the injector nozzle on a 1HD-T is critical to correct combustion. Using a 1HZ head with 1HD-T pistons is gonna screw up the combustion dynamics. Timing injection appropriately would be complete guesswork.

Injection pressures are very different too. 1hd-t injectors crack at 2200psi, vs 1HZ crack at something like 1750psi (can't remember the figures).
I once put a 1HZ pump on a 1HD-T coz it's pump failed and needed a rebuild. The injection timing and pump pressures were too different. I could barely get the engine to run, and it was not driveable at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom