1hz oil leak question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hope this is in the right forum!
Hey so I am new to diesel cruisers, but I have the bug bad, am looking to purchase one. I flew from Denver to Washington to look at a rig and ultimately had to say no, the issue was an oil leak, it seems to be seeping where the bellhousing bolts to the block. On the top of the engine where the top of the bellhousing is bolted to the block it also seemed to have a little oil weeping out.
I took brake cleaner and cleaned the bottom of the engine, went for a 10 minute test drive, and upon returning a noticeable amount of oil had gathered in that spot.
Is this indicative of a head issue that runs down the back of the engine?
Or something else? The owner replaced the rear main seal when he replaced the clutch 1000 miles ago.
Any help is appreciated, I'm not out of the running on this rig, but I did not feel comfortable driving it 1300 miles home without knowing what it could be.
Thanks in advance!

My guess is the owner didnt use a quality rear main oil seal or he botched the job by not installing it correctly. I hope he didnt scar the surface removing the old one.
Or he is telling you BS.
They do leak at the back of the head but I think the oil seal is a more likely candidate

I bought my troopy after it had only done 4000klms in the past 4-5 years (280000 in total). I had to drive it 1500klms home and the seal had begun to leak by the time I arrived home. It was dry when I inspected it, so I guess the seal had hardened from lack of use. I poured in a can of auto transmission seal rejuvenator which has rubber softeners in it and it worked perfectly. It was the 2nd time I had success doing this. It takes a few thousand klms to work.

My guess is the owner didnt use a quality rear main oil seal or he botched the job by not installing it correctly. I hope he didnt scar the surface removing the old one.
Or he is telling you BS.
They do leak at the back of the head but I think the oil seal is a more likely candidate

I bought my troopy after it had only done 4000klms in the past 4-5 years (280000 in total). I had to drive it 1500klms home and the seal had begun to leak by the time I arrived home. It was dry when I inspected it, so I guess the seal had hardened from lack of use. I poured in a can of auto transmission seal rejuvenator which has rubber softeners in it and it worked perfectly. It was the 2nd time I had success doing this. It takes a few thousand klms to work.
That's what I was thinking, he installed it incorrectly or something.. I'm not familiar with how they go in but like a 351 cleveland it's very easy to put it in backwards, and also to damage it tapping it into place....

Well, it’s a cruiser. I don’t think oil leaks make it worth a whole lot less. If it was in good shape, and a good price, I wouldn’t let a oil leak scare me away.

If the chassis is good, nearly everything else is fixable and replaceable in comparison.
Well that's the conundrum, 1991 hzj77.
Body was in fantastic shape.
Interior was worn but OK.
300k kms.
Owner put new dobinsons springs and shocks.
Full front axle rebuild, birfs and brakes.
Timing belt
Tensioner
Pulley

Turbo
Manifold
Catchcan
Air filter
Straight pipe exhasut
Heavy duty Clutch
Pressure plate
Throw out bearing
Pilot bearing
Steering rod ends
Knuckle and trunion bearings felts
Front rotors and pads
Dobinsons 2.5" Leaf springs and shocks
Manual hub conversion

35" kanati Mud hogs
Front runner rack
Big country 4x4 awning
Auber EGT gauge
Factory Toyota 24v winch, factory Toyota bumper.
He's around $30k

IMG_20221124_111236.jpg

IMG_20221124_111235.jpg

IMG_20221124_111233.jpg

If the body’s good buy it.

don't know the prices of lc's in the states but, if it is a good price to you, a little oil leak is nothing and you shall be very satisfied to eliminate it if you do it yourself. These cars are very good to work on with an fsm, compared to most any other cars.

My wife's little mazda has leaked for 200k kms, engine oil, just top it up. Unfortunately it is just such a tight spot to work on in that little engine bay, I think I would cry to struggle with it without a hoist. I mean I have to pull the engine to fix the leak. If I paid someone it would be a crazy price. Oil is cheap. Some of that rubber seal refresher helped too, like rosco suggested.

Have an old merc, that leaks from the rocker towards the back of the engine, almost a design fault. Addressed it 3x now, pia. Just a dribble.

If it was an lc, it would have been done straight away by myself. Quite proud my lc is squeaky clean in the bay and under the carriage and I can keep it that way being the amature hack I am..

The hz can get a million kms, toyota still makes and sells the parts. If the body is good go for it.

don't know the prices of lc's in the states but, if it is a good price to you, a little oil leak is nothing and you shall be very satisfied to eliminate it if you do it yourself. These cars are very good to work on with an fsm, compared to most any other cars.

My wife's little mazda has leaked for 200k kms, engine oil, just top it up. Unfortunately it is just such a tight spot to work on in that little engine bay, I think I would cry to struggle with it without a hoist. I mean I have to pull the engine to fix the leak. If I paid someone it would be a crazy price. Oil is cheap. Some of that rubber seal refresher helped too, like rosco suggested.

Have an old merc, that leaks from the rocker towards the back of the engine, almost a design fault. Addressed it 3x now, pia. Just a dribble.

If it was an lc, it would have been done straight away by myself. Quite proud my lc is squeaky clean in the bay and under the carriage and I can keep it that way being the amature hack I am..

The hz can get a million kms, toyota still makes and sells the parts. If the body is good go for it.
Yall are making me regret not buying it! 🤣🤣
I flew from Denver to Seattle, checked it, and then flew home via California and Vegas. It's been a long day... I appreciate the wisdom though. I've had 2 fj60s but these are a different animal.

Word.

If the bones are good, the rest don’t matter.

Yall are making me regret not buying it! 🤣🤣
I flew from Denver to Seattle, checked it, and then flew home via California and Vegas. It's been a long day... I appreciate the wisdom though. I've had 2 fj60s but these are a different animal.
bit like when you were young and single and a very friendly gorgeous hottie asked you back for some hot apple pie, and you reply , 'oh schucks, I don't know, I have to go and hang out the washing at home..thank's anyway' ! ..should've :D

opportunity does not always visit or have guests

Never too late to go back….. maybe if he brings down the price by 2k you can buy another ticket.

Oil leak at the rear could be as simple as rocker cover leaking. Or rear main seal.
Unlikely to be heard gasket, but it is a possibility.
I boiled and siezed a 1HZ, and it puked oil out the head gasket.

An oil leak isn't likely to be catastrophic on a drive home. Just check it every 100 miles when you stop for a piss or snacks

A rear main seal could be done in a day at home if you're a competent mechanic with some tools and ingenuity.
Call it a weekend if you're unfamiliar with the vehicle.
Good idea to have some muscle on hand to help wrangle gear box and transfer.

I swapped a throw out bearing on my cruiser in a few hours solo under the car on the garage floor

Oil leak at the rear could be as simple as rocker cover leaking. Or rear main seal.
Unlikely to be heard gasket, but it is a possibility.
I boiled and siezed a 1HZ, and it puked oil out the head gasket.

An oil leak isn't likely to be catastrophic on a drive home. Just check it every 100 miles when you stop for a piss or snacks

A rear main seal could be done in a day at home if you're a competent mechanic with some tools and ingenuity.
Call it a weekend if you're unfamiliar with the vehicle.
Good idea to have some muscle on hand to help wrangle gear box and transfer.

I swapped a throw out bearing on my cruiser in a few hours solo under the car on the garage floor
Any worry of a rear main getting oil in the clutch on a long drive? I should've just sat in his driveway and messaged all you guys before leaving... 🤣🤣

Any worry of a rear main getting oil in the clutch on a long drive? I should've just sat in his driveway and messaged all you guys before leaving... 🤣🤣

I would say yes, I had a BJ 60 that leaked so bad that the clutch pressure plate got covered in oil, never got to the clutch, but I figured it would happen considering that the whole inside of the bell housing was wet.

I think it would have to be severe.

Oil has to get past the flywheel first. The flywheel is gonna fling oil off the edge as it spins. A small amount will just coat the bell housing.
If the quantity of oil splatter in the bell housing is enough to be dripping in the bell housing, then it may find its way onto the clutch.
I think there's be a big mess visible outside the bell housing too in this case

Actually he listed it.
Give me your thoughts!

Actually he listed it.
Give me your thoughts!

Go back……. Put down a deposit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom