1hz intermittent starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I have an hzj78 with a 1hz, 320,000 kms, uses no coolant or oil.

3 times in the last year, but 2 of those times recently, I have started it from cold and it just runs like a rattley box of spanners, sounds like it's missing, just horrible!

I immediately turn it off, then on again and it's absolutely fine.

So wierd, I've never seen it blow any smoke on cold start and as far as I'm aware it's a very healthy engine.

Anyone had anything similair, or any idea what it might be?

Thanks!

Glow system intermittent (ie. occasionally missing main glow period and maybe just maintaining after glow)?

Is there a cold start timing advance mechanism on the 1HZ like the 1HDT that could be failing? (ACSD or whatever it's called). Jamming in a highly advanced position?

It could be some air getting in overnight. Your description sounds like it's running on an intermittent fuel supply. I would start by checking the fuel line fittings starting at the inj pump and working back. But because it only happens a few times a year, it's difficult to know if it's fixed . Highly unlikely to have caused any damage. But it's best to keep fuel systems full of fuel, if thats the problem.

Awesome thanks all.. I'm 2500 kms from home so it will have to wait. Thanks so much for your wisdom

Is there a cold start timing advance mechanism on the 1HZ

In some markets where its colder or their emissions laws require it, an ACSD is fitted to 1HZs . Im not sure where the OP is but NZ get their landcruisers from Toyota Australia (so does New Guinea and numerous other South Pacific islands) and there is no listing for that part in the diagrams for the ACSD in the ARL 1HZ market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom