1hz fuel issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it was @sleepydad69 or @ATL Cruiser that cleaned his tank out using several gallons of vinegar

Yes, that was me. Although, I'm happy to be confused with @sleepydad69. I heard he's a cool dude.

Yeah, sorry... I just didn't have the time to look it up again, and my memory isn't what it used to be. I am too busy with multiple things on the go at once with a wife and 4 kids. Thanks for sharing... :cheers:

How are the hard lines on the pickup looking, just outside the tank? Mine had some rust and were allowing air in the system. I'd give them a careful once over just to be thorough... Since you're there.
Cleaned it up and gave it a pretty close look for a while, not seeing anything too suss on it, i will be blowing air through all the lines before everything goes back together though.

I think it was @sleepydad69 or @ATL Cruiser that cleaned his tank out using several gallons of vinegar, so you might want to try that. And as @JDM Journeys has wisely pointed out, a weak point on these is the bend in the pickup just before it goes into the tank. I find a pressure or vacuum test works best to test the lines.

If your lines are full of gunk, you will want to clean those. If it were me, new fuel lines are not too expensive, so you might want to think about replacing them end to end. Far cheaper than a new fuel pump. :cheers:
Used rust converter, worked a treat, maybe a bit too savage but ah well, ill be replacing everything i can methinks.

Blew air through all lines, put it all back together, now it wont suck ANY fuel from the tank, this is getting a bit silly.

Probably getting a tow i think

Blew air through all lines, put it all back together, now it wont suck ANY fuel from the tank, this is getting a bit silly.

Probably getting a tow i think
You could certainly do that.

Ok, I am breaking this down logically (I work out logic problems for a living)

From this thread, I am understanding the following:

1. - You cleaned out the tank
2. - You blew air through the lines to clean them out
3. - You noticed the tank full of crap again - I am now thinking you blew the air through the line from the filter housing back towards the tank? This would make sense that the tank needed a second cleaning, and would possibly indicate that the blockage/no fuel leaving the primer pump housing could be the filter did its job and is now clogged, OR it could be a bad/defective filter (rare but known to happen)

One more thing you could try is take the filter off, put a container that will fit below the primer pump and try priming again. If fuel then comes through, check how ugly it is. If it is nasty, I wouldn't mess around. Replace the fuel lines from tank to primer. Replace fuel filter again, with a good quality one. OEM?

The line from the primer/filter to the pump - Do not blow air through it towards the pump, but disconnect both ends then clean that out as well to be safe. You do not want any of that crap getting into your fuel pump.

Try priming again. If you still have the clear lines on, check what is happening.

You could certainly do that.

Ok, I am breaking this down logically (I work out logic problems for a living)

From this thread, I am understanding the following:

1. - You cleaned out the tank
2. - You blew air through the lines to clean them out
3. - You noticed the tank full of crap again - I am now thinking you blew the air through the line from the filter housing back towards the tank? This would make sense that the tank needed a second cleaning, and would possibly indicate that the blockage/no fuel leaving the primer pump housing could be the filter did its job and is now clogged, OR it could be a bad/defective filter (rare but known to happen)

One more thing you could try is take the filter off, put a container that will fit below the primer pump and try priming again. If fuel then comes through, check how ugly it is. If it is nasty, I wouldn't mess around. Replace the fuel lines from tank to primer. Replace fuel filter again, with a good quality one. OEM?

The line from the primer/filter to the pump - Do not blow air through it towards the pump, but disconnect both ends then clean that out as well to be safe. You do not want any of that crap getting into your fuel pump.

Try priming again. If you still have the clear lines on, check what is happening.
I disconnected the lines from the pump and tank before blowing them out.

Thats a good idea, ill try that.

I reckon that filter is pretty clogged too, due to the amount of rust that originally made it through the pickup, i didnt think of that, good shout.

Im also thinking that the little primer might not be enough to pull the fuel from the tank after its been dried out, i might try to force the fuel through the tank towards the primer, other than those ideas im all out.

Last edited:
I disconnected the lines from the pump and tank before blowing them out.

Thats a good idea, ill try that.

I reckon that filter is pretty clogged too, due to the amount of rust that originally made it through the pickup, i didnt think of that, good shout.

Im also thinking that the little primer might not be enough to pull the fuel from the tank after its been dried out, i might try to force the fuel through the tank towards the primer, other than those ideas im all out.
The primer is designed to pull the fuel from the tank in the event you ran out of fuel, so you shouldn't need to push it or force it in any way. Best of luck my friend! 😃

Hey all, my 1hz (hzj75) has all the sudden become pretty much undriveable, went from starting fine to being very hard to start and now undriveable.

Ive had nothing but fuel issues since i bought my cruiser (built up algae and rust in tank, going through filters etc) but felt like all my problems were solved after cleaning my fuel tank but now all the sudden it gets bugger all fuel. I replaced fuel filter and bled injectors but i cant even give it a half decent rev without it stalling.

Ive checked fuel lines and havent come across and damaged hoses or anything and manual primer goes soft almost immediately so i ordered a new one hoping thats it.

Something worth noting is that this engine has pretty low compression and my injectors are on the way out but i dont believe that these would cause it to start and drive fine one day, then go s*** the next day to this extent.
Alrighty boys had a big break, kinda just let it sit for ages. fuel/water separater, thats what it was the entire ******* time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom