1FZ Head Rebuild or Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to go ahead and do the valves, all of them. Ordered from TPD, now waiting to see if they actually ship. While I'm in there, replacing the injector connectors. Sadly the wire insulation is cracking just behind the terminals, which will sooner or later lead to wire failure under vibration and corrosion. I have the terminals but not the rubber plugs, but salvaging those isn't too difficult.

In case any of you locals need to do this later, I do have the crimp tool for the Sumitomo terminals.

IMG_20220416_201505521.jpg

IMG_20220416_201526312.jpg

The head went to a local shop for valve job, including all new valves. Head's ready to go in, except the gasket kit did not come with the EGR pipe gasket and I'd rather install that before the head goes in.

I'm ordering the gasket, but if anybody in the area has one you can loan me let me know.

All the parts stores have empty spaces where the copper spray gasket sealers should be. Not sure why. Amazon won't ship it here either. Summit says they may ship it by the end of the month.

Edit: ordered Loctite 7657 thru Amazon, but it's a third party seller so let's see what happens.

Last edited:
I made a time consuming mistake. I had assembled the EGR pipe to the head, but not the intake manifold, before installing the head in the truck. The rigid EGR pipe was too far out of alignment to mount the EGR valve to the intake manifold. Now I can't get to the EGR pipe bolts to loosen them and realign it. I'm hoping when I take the top half of the manifold back off it gives me better tool access to the EGR pipe bolts.

Much assembly done. The EGR pipe bolts are accessible through the wheel well with a 12mm flex socket on a long extension borrowed from Ray.
IMG_20220604_153505335.jpg

Today I Discovered that I ordered the wrong connector for the alternator. For what it's worth, the 3-pin that goes into the back of the alternator is 90980-11349, not 90980-10831. I'll be ordering one or more Monday morning, if anybody else with the 1FZ alternator needs one, let me know.
IMG_20220605_103005543.jpg
IMG_20220605_104741570.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom