1999 Transmission issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1999 LC with 226k miles on it. The truck has worked great with very few repairs. Yesterday when I went to leave in the morning, reverse worked fine, but in drive, the tranny would not engage. When I dropped it into 1st, it worked fine. I put it in drive, nothing, i left it in drive and after pushing in the 2nd gear start button, the tranny engaged and worked great, just like it should with the 2nd gear start button pushed. However, it still won't work in drive, without the 2nd gear start button pushed. I had a shop look at it and the guy thought it might be a solenoid but wasn't sure and it wasn't showing any codes.....any thoughts? thanks Phil

1999 LC 226k miles

I'd suspect your shifter. You've already determined that the mechanics work by manually selecting 1 or 2. So either the computer is sensing a problem or its not getting a signal from the lever. Spill any coffee lately?

Almost no 99's on here with tranny problems. Curious of your findings...

Sent from my droid

This is a real head scratcher. I have had a couple of local shops take a look, nobody is really sure what is up. It will not start off in Drive or second unless the start in second button is pushed. It will start in low gear, without the start in second button pushed. Once it is up and running, I can unpress the start in second button and it will run fine, until I come to a stop and try to start up again. I am dropping it by Dr. Trans in San Diego next week. The guy there seemed pretty knowledgeable. He doesn't think that it is a tranny issue per se, hopefully just some shifter part. Keep the fingers crossed. Phil:confused:

This is a real head scratcher. I have had a couple of local shops take a look, nobody is really sure what is up. It will not start off in Drive or second unless the start in second button is pushed. It will start in low gear, without the start in second button pushed. Once it is up and running, I can unpress the start in second button and it will run fine, until I come to a stop and try to start up again. I am dropping it by Dr. Trans in San Diego next week. The guy there seemed pretty knowledgeable. He doesn't think that it is a tranny issue per se, hopefully just some shifter part. Keep the fingers crossed. Phil:confused:

Sounds like the shops you've visited don't have a clue. Frustrating when that happens and I can commiserate. Surely there's a competent shop that can properly diagnose this. It isn't rocket science. While its a huge time suck you need find a knowledgable shop and keeping looking until you do.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

transmisison issue, not good news

well, after 10 months of driving using the 2nd Gear Start, I decided to take the LC in for a tranny diagnosis. The good news, all of the electronics check out, the bad news, metal and rubber in the pan, the forward assembly is shot. My choices are, bolt up the pan, add fluid and sell it as is. Replace the tranny with a reman, about $3800, through Certified with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty (parts and labor) or buy an EME Reman for $2100 and have it removed and replaced for another $600, comes with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty (probably on the part only). I am probably going to sell the LC so, are there any other options? Phil:confused:

Lowest cost option would be to pull one from a yard and do it your self. I would go for the $3800 w/warranty and keep it or do it myself with the $2100 rbld and keep it. But if you prefer to sell anyway you would be better off sourcing your own used trans and have a cheap shop do the install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom