craigslist 1998 4P3 Desert Bronze Metalic, Columbus, GA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NOT MINE. EDIT: Back up for sale as of 5/29/2015 @ $10.5K

My favorite color on a 100 Series. Mileage is 195K, price is high at $13.5K.

I've seen it around town and it is a clean looking truck.

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/4931425441.html

Bronze 100.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of high quality pictures added. Price dropped to $12.5K

Locked?

I'm going to look at it tonight for an interested Mudder. I'll post impressions...

Last edited:
I met the owner last evening. Nice guy, he seems, and owns an advertising business...hence all of the high quality photos. His friend purchased the 98 from it's original owner in California with 170K miles. The current owner purchased it from his friend a few weeks later, and the title went straight form the 1st owner to the current owner...so, while there have been "3 owners", for all intents and purposes (and legally) there have only been 2.

In the 24K miles the seller has owned the truck, he has only ever had the oil changed. (non-OEM filter)

The truck has been thoroughly detailed, tires Armor-Alled etc. Radiator is full of Toyota pink, overflow is at full line with same, and engine oil is full and golden.

There is no evidence (sticker) to show a timing belt/water pump replacement (due every 90K miles). The bolts on the water pump do look to have been turned, so it has likely been done at some point, but I would figure $1200 parts/labor into the purchase price if I were buying. The owner did mention that he may go ahead and have it done so that it is documented as many interested parties have asked about it.

It is overall a very clean 1998. It has a few small scuffs, chips on the leading edge of the hood and a 2" scrape in the rear lift gate: all chips and the scrape have been touched-up with factory paint.

There is a hail dent in the roof and a ding in the center ribbed section of the roof that looks like a large hail dent but was likely caused by something else. No paint damage in either of these two dents.

The passenger front door handle paint is peeling.

The hood and all quarter panels have beautiful shiny paint with no clear coat issues that I could see. All Toyota emblems are present and chrome (not gold).

The passenger side front corner lens has condensation inside.

The leather is clean and has no rips/tears...but does have the cracks one would expect on 1998 leather. Carpets and floor mats are clean and stain free, but do not look new.

Tires are 275/70R18 BFG KO All Terrains (not KO2) with lots of tread left on aftermarket 18" wheels. Owner says the original wheels were long gone when he got it. While I don't care for the current wheels, OEM 18" Land Cruiser or Tundra wheels can be had for $300-$500.

All electrical worked as it should, to include lights, signals, seats, horn. I looked under the dash and was not impressed with the wiring for the Alpine stereo. It didn't look like the time was taken to tidy-up the install, though the system worked and it did not seem to cause issues with other systems.

AC blew cold. Being a 1998, it does not have rear AC.

It drove great. It felt tight and the throttle had more pep than my 1999 with less miles and fresh timing belt, water pump etc. It braked well with no shimmy, steered straight etc. The tires did rub when the wheel was turned and I hit a bump...slightly on the front inner fender liner.

I could not get the rear locker to engage, but tried on asphalt and only in a straight line. It wouldn't bother me as I'm sure a few figure 8s in the dirt would get it to engage. The center diff engage properly but the rear locker indicator light stayed blinking...never going solid to indicate engagement. (I locked the rear in my 99 in a dirt lot on my way home, to make sure I had used the correct procedure: I had). Owner says he has locked it in the past without issue.

Things I apologize for forgetting/failing to specifically check:

Front CV boots
Operation of Seat Heaters
Operation of Sunroof
Presence and condition of spare tire

If serious, I'd ask for photos of CVs and at least ask if the sunroof/seat heaters is/are fully operational, if not for a video of the sunroof opening/closing.

Overall, this is a very nice, clean truck...especially for year and mileage. If it had the timing belt/wp done and 50K fewer miles I'd want it for myself.

If I were advising a friend, I'd tell them that this is a good candidate if 1) this is the color you HAVE to have, 2) you can live with the mileage. This would be a fine 3rd/fun car, as it is for the current owner. The miles are too high for me to rely on as a DD, without a complete service history. My 1999 has 180K but I've owned it since 105K and have detailed maintenance since 85K.

The owner did say that someone already ran the VIN at toyotaowners.com and could not find any service history.

This color is hard to find. As I said, if this color is a must, I'd seriously consider this truck...for the right price. The owner, who listed at $13.5K and then lowered to $12.5K did not seem too willing to come off of his price.

Last edited:
Still not mine!

Reduced to $11,500 FYI

EDIT: BACK up for sale at $10,500 as of 5/29

Last edited:
From what I've seen here in Denver which is a hot market for 100s (though far different than the south I'm sure), most 100s in the 200k mile range sell for $6-$8k, and any priced above that linger for a long time. I saw a very clean 100 with 210k on it listed for sale locally for $5k, and I texted the guy and said I was on my way to look at it. He apparently did some "research" and found he was asking too little for it, so he edited his ad for $10k. About 2 months later he wouldn't stop texting me asking me if I was still interested at $7k then $6k which shows me he didn't find much interest at the higher price and regretted pricing it above what's realistic. Just my opinion of course.

From what I've seen here in Denver which is a hot market for 100s (though far different than the south I'm sure), most 100s in the 200k mile range sell for $6-$8k, and any priced above that linger for a long time. I saw a very clean 100 with 210k on it listed for sale locally for $5k, and I texted the guy and said I was on my way to look at it. He apparently did some "research" and found he was asking too little for it, so he edited his ad for $10k. About 2 months later he wouldn't stop texting me asking me if I was still interested at $7k then $6k which shows me he didn't find much interest at the higher price and regretted pricing it above what's realistic. Just my opinion of course.
I totally agree. I'd say this one would by $9K max WITH a detailed service history. It lacks the pedigree...$5K would be a steal IMOP because it is super clean....but $6-$8K would be fair. I would say it"s really not worth selling right now.
I owned my 1997 40th Antique Sage w/ factory lockers for 12 years. FMV got down to $5K at one point and I sold a few years later for $9K... Probably worth $10K+ today.

I agree it's funny how 80s dipped in value then went back up again. I also noticed the same thing with built 100s. I was looking in 2010 and saw several 1998-2001s built with front and rear bumpers in immaculate shape that were selling for $14k-$16k back then, now 5 years later they're worth the same!

Sold for $11,250

EDIT: Back up for sale @ $10.5K as of 5/29

Last edited:
No. It's my favorite color...but my 99 has rear air and 14K less miles.

Back up for sale...for $750 less than he (allegedly) bought it for 6 weeks ago. Now advertising as a 1999 (it's a 1998). Looks like the new seller is one of the POs who bought it back from the seller listed at the top of this thread.

Red flag for me...but, here it is...still a bit overpriced!

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/5034371258.html

G-Cat -- did you look at and drive this one? Edit -- I see that you did... I called the owner, should be interesting as I'm out of state. Haven't received a call back yet.

Last edited:
Yeah...and was impressed, for sure. Weird that he bought it back and is selling it 6 weeks later for (according to the last owner) a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom