1997 misfire cylinder number six code. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to make known my appreciation for this forum as the good folks here have helped me greatly in the past. I love my Land Cruiser, but my mechanical skills are lacking and our small town has great people, but with limited expertise.

She was running flawlessly until I needed to run her ~100 miles for a visit to the doc. After I stopped to gas up, the engine light came on and it ran rough. Autozone told me the code was a misfire of the number six cylinder. Make it home, changed the plug (parts stores did not have six of what I was after, so I changed just the one, since the plugs would not be here before the next run to the doc).

Back to running well. Stopped at the doc, started up to find the engine light and the roughness had returned. O'Reilly's read it as misfire on the number six cylinder as well.

If she gets a good night's sleep she will run great in the morning for city driving. The plug looked just fine. I now have some Lucas fuel treatment in the tank, but don't want to risk getting stuck in the middle of nowhere in this heat. I understand it is fuel and fire, ignition wires or fuel injector as possibilities. I understand that "replace everything" might be called for, but for now I am looking for some clues to get me safely back on the road for the next upcoming trip. Things move slow here in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you in advance.

I would like to make known my appreciation for this forum as the good folks here have helped me greatly in the past. I love my Land Cruiser, but my mechanical skills are lacking and our small town has great people, but with limited expertise.

She was running flawlessly until I needed to run her ~100 miles for a visit to the doc. After I stopped to gas up, the engine light came on and it ran rough. Autozone told me the code was a misfire of the number six cylinder. Make it home, changed the plug (parts stores did not have six of what I was after, so I changed just the one, since the plugs would not be here before the next run to the doc).

Back to running well. Stopped at the doc, started up to find the engine light and the roughness had returned. O'Reilly's read it as misfire on the number six cylinder as well.

If she gets a good night's sleep she will run great in the morning for city driving. The plug looked just fine. I now have some Lucas fuel treatment in the tank, but don't want to risk getting stuck in the middle of nowhere in this heat. I understand it is fuel and fire, ignition wires or fuel injector as possibilities. I understand that "replace everything" might be called for, but for now I am looking for some clues to get me safely back on the road for the next upcoming trip. Things move slow here in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you in advance.

How many miles?

Any recent service?

Misfire on #6 could be:
Bad plug
Bad plug wire
Bad Injector
Bad injector plug
Head gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom